Training wheels and Racing wheels

JoeK

Looks like you're lashing into the booze as well JB! sje schpeling isch goin downhli farsjjjt...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flippin heck I knew I was gonna get a pasting for that one! Well spotted TheLegend....just beat me to the edit...suddenly realised what I was sharing with the world. Confirmation' date=' of course, of the claim made ...about the mindlet, not the noblet!

[/quote']

far out, man! Big%20smile

So far my wheels are holding up OK. I think I need to bust out the strong medicine...whizzers or branners? I am a qualified branners inspekteur, think I'll investigate that. Actually I am now just talking kShockedk, sorry okes, but these Grolsch beers are not passing the JB homo wheel test. These things sound like you're a bit blitzed even before you drink them. Awright I'm off happy wheel discussions, JB - keep it on the big blade bru!

Your best bang for the buck would be a set of Eaton EA70's. They are middle of the range and not too expensive and a good all-round (no pun intended) wheel for training and racing.

The average weight limit on most wheels is 90kg, so these would be perfect for your weight.

after realising what poor poor value poofter wheels are, hands built are the only way to go.

You can build a set of wheels of 1.5kg for the pair for far less money than poofter wheels of similar weight will cost.

Hnad builts are like a ferrari, bentley or rolls, assembled with love and care.

Poofter wheels are like Toyota's, every box has one

Do you race for place , team or just time? Unless you have a support car, forget about tubbies for race wheels. If you spend most of your races in a bunch, forget about deep sections. It's not a straight forward question. I have a heavy set of old fashioned training wheels. They are 12 years, no 13 years old. I also have some lighter, factory built "racing wheels" and I think I go faster using them..... therefore I do. These are not your Bora/404 type wheels rather good quality clinchers like Eastons, Dura ace, Ksyrium etc. What wheels do you have at the moment and do you want 1 set to do all? How much mileage do you do? How long must they last? What is your budget?

Do you race for place ' date=' team or just time? Unless you have a support car, forget about tubbies for race wheels. If you spend most of your races in a bunch, forget about deep sections. It's not a straight forward question. I have a heavy set of old fashioned training wheels. They are 12 years, no 13 years old. I also have some lighter, factory built "racing wheels" and I think I go faster using them..... therefore I do. These are not your Bora/404 type wheels rather good quality clinchers like Eastons, Dura ace, Ksyrium etc. What wheels do you have at the moment and do you want 1 set to do all? How much mileage do you do? How long must they last? What is your budget?[/quote']

I race for time. Goal is to do the Argus under 3 hours. Been cycling for about 4-5 months, done +-3500 - 4000km.  First race Iwas a 105km and time was 3h20min. Traing and racing with vuelta airline 2. Only set I have. At this stage I don't have a budget yet. Doing research and wil decide then when my mind is made up.

Cheers

Budget permitting a training wheel set makes perfect sense. Heavier and more robust wheels like EA70's or DA7800 with Gators or Armadillos are bomb proof and if you add tire liners with slime tubes they last forever.

I race on Zipps and I know people in London who commute on their zipps so they're up to the task but having spent the dosh, I prefer to keep them as best since they're tubbies.

But everyone knows that training wheels are ok but a training bike, now that's the business.....

Er. Did I stumble into the research and development section at NASA or did those marketing dudes do a number on all o' ya?

Airline this and aero that.

Are we flying on junk here, having a discussion about bikes or the loacal airways part shop?

Only the sponsored dudes and the ones with wallets bigger than their brains have training wheels and racing wheels.

Unless you're racing for first second or third place, then one good set of wheels is good enough.

On our roads, racing and training pretty much amounts to riding over all the discarded glass and friday nights party beer bottles left in the road.

Therefore racing and training takes place on the same roads with the same hazards.

Training wheels are for the neighbours kid bike. (You know the ones that make a four wheeler out of a bicylcle.).

There are many reasons to have cheep rims and tyres for training.

You normally ride closer to the edge of the road when training, where there is more rubbish, you also sometimes need to take evasive action like hopping kerbs or riding in the gutter. Also you often train when it is dark and you cant see rubbish or potholes. When you race you generaly ride further from the edge of the road.

When you race you want to ride your lighter faster wheels with lighter faster rubber. we all know that lighter and faster = weaker. It is just sensible to protect your expensive equipment. One bad pothole and your Zipps are toast, a cheep strong rim will probably survive.

Also some people train with a lighter gear ratio than when they race.

but there is a greater chance of having an accident in a race so the race wheels are bad investment because the risk of damage is greater.

I have one set of wheels. I want to run them into the ground and then get a new set. It is nice to have a spare set but I'd rather have a spare set of the sam e quality.

Aero wheels, what a laod of tosh for a bunch rider. For a TT a Disc wheel is clearly better but in bunch riding aero wheels is just a rolling billboard for the manufacturer

Only the sponsored dudes and the ones with wallets bigger than their brains have training wheels and racing wheels.

So wat maak dit my - ek het 'n oefen fiets, 'n "racing" fiets, 'n TT fiets en 'n bergfiets. O ja, daar l? nog 'n raam en 2 stelle wiele ?rens op 'n kas...

Ek word nie gesponsor nie...

The reason for having training wheels and race wheels is this: Your training wheels should be tough and a bit heavy, therefore when you switch to your lighter, faster race wheels on race day you will actually need to produce less power to do the same speed. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You actually gain more from your training because you worked harder than you would on your race wheels in that given time. Secondly your training wheels would have heavier and cheaper tires that will do many more miles than a race tire/tubbie will do and need less maintenance overall.

So if your training wheels are some cheapies and you also have some race wheels you will actually save money over time.

Kiwi2008-10-15 07:04:00

I use Rolf Vector Comp wheels with Ultra Gatorskins as training wheels, and Ksyrium SL's with Conti GP4000 tyres as racing wheels. Find I climb a lot better with Ksyriums, and they seem to roll a lot better due to the better quality, and hence smoother turning, hubs and bearings.

No, I'm not a rich guy, got the Ksyrium's when I bought my bike, and for the Rolf's I saved a couple of months for (actually did a Lay-By Embarrassed at my LBS, and got the wheels at a good discount)

Easier and faster to change a whole wheel around, than to change between your training and racing tyres.