New Stellenbosch bike shop!?

Cornelis

please define what is a Triathlon shop????

never realized Felt specializes in triathlon mountain bikes!

What's a triathlon MTB supposed to be?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Berry is our mechanic - excellent one too! He is well known and has a good reputation. he started with us last week after we did have a shaky start with a not so great mechanic! That 'not so great one' has now gone! We are proud to have Justin on board.

As far as our location goes, we are on the way to jonkershoek, and anyone who is around this area in the morning or from about 5pm in the evening, we see that there is tons of passing trade in the form of athletes....cyclists and runners are around in abundance.

Yes, I am defending us - I manage the shop and as  triathlete, I think it is pretty great to have a shop where you can walk in as an absolute beginner and walk out with everything you need for your first race. There are not many places that can offer that service.

Justin has raced at a very high level and knows bikes inside out!

I have a degree in sports science and have raced as a Triathlete at a high level. We know what we are doing!

Don't slag us until you've tried us - or at least come in and seen for yourself everything we stock.

We are not just a bike shop which is why we dont look like a shop jam packed with bikes....... !

See you all here soon!

You can't be asking that question seriously......

There is obviously no such thing as a Triathlon Mountain Bike!

Felt do incredible TT bikes (used in Triathlon) as well as road and MTB's.

BMT, you'll get a SPAM notification if you keep posting like that LOL

is there free coffee?

(you've metnioned felt's quality somewhere above, if my short-time memory serves me corretly)

• 2 weeks later...

how can helderberg be the cheapest if you pay R 420 for a conti gatorskin when you can get the same tyre at Maverick and William's Bike shop for R 350!!!!???

luckily s-west is small enough to shop around reasonably quickly! LOL

"Competing" with Mason's should be too hard! You might actually beat him without trying to. Good luck!

HAHAHA!!!! This makes me laugh. You will have to try very hard to beat Mason's service. I have never seen someone go more out of his way to help a customer than Mason. Clap

That said, this is not a competition and I realise that BMT is not a bikeshop.

You will have to try very hard to beat Mason's service. I have never seen someone go more out of his way to help a customer than Mason. Clap

HAHAHA!!!! THIS makes ME laugh!  I suppose everyone has had their own experiences.

Any way, good luck to the new shop.

I have just returned from a most fruitful trip to Stellenbosch and having read a couple of the posts on this forum, felt compelled to put in a good word for the newest addition to the Stellenbosch bike shop fraternity. While there is always a degree of animosity towards new entrants, particularly from incumbents, the unwarranted, factually incorrect and disparaging remarks do little justice to this forum.

So, in an attempt to enlighten the more savvy readers of this forum about this exciting new store, I thought of providing some factually accurate positives:   

Talking with the "in house" mechanic, Justin Berry, caste aside any doubts I had about the ability of BMT to handle any form of repair.....quite frankly Justin is without peer in the region, let alone Stellenbosch. This is a welcome addition.

Lisa (Baumann sp?), the store manager, who I discovered is a professional triathlete in the WC, was attentive throughout my time in the store and provided me substantive email feedback about future ( sadly potential with the Rand's woes) acquisitions which I am sure would have outpaced the rate at which the various nay sayers on this forum started with their churlish comments.

A few more things I learned while in the shop:

?        On the cycling route out to Jonkershoek ? mountain bikers can have bikes repaired without going all the way into Stellenbosch!!!

?        Not only does the shop stock an amazing range of mountain bikes? hard tail and soft tail Felt bikes, the range of cycling kit and gear (Endura, Orca and TXU) is endless.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable shopping experience, and all the more unique given the previous experiences I have had in the other more established Stellenbosch shops, which often left me heading back down the N2 with my doubts about their professionalism confirmed.

No offence dude, but your not doing much for your credibility with this post. Your first (and only) post sounds like something written by a marketer doing damage control.

This just smacks of creating an identity solely for the purpose of this post, and remaining unconnected from your usual hub persona. 

The name JUstin Berry rings a bell?

If they have the best mechanic in town they could make it. But how much mechanic work does a triathlete need? And most of them go to the existing shops.

Always difficult to get bike agencies as a start up as the importers wont leave the existing one.

How many triathletes are out there? In stellenbosch. And surely the cost of a speedo and tekkies are minimal compared to bike stuff. So they should try and get another brand or 2. 

I think a boutique (more mtb) bike shop with the best meccie in town, friendly face behind counter could work. And stay open till 7pm in summer, and advertise it. Organise events from shop to Jonkershoek weekly, triathlons, X terra's, mtb races. Build up a community of supporters.

I dont charge for consulting. Will pop in.

Boomshanka you sound as if you have a vested interest here. I agree with Mr. Lem, you are well positioned for a niche of the market, longer trading hours, good service, those free coffees sound good too....

OK i just googled Justin Berry. Try it. More than a bike mechanic.

Where is your memory he was on CVT one of the 2nd row guys on the team, not to shabby but not top

OK i just googled Justin Berry. Try it. More than a bike mechanic.

?

Where is your memory he was on CVT one of the 2nd row guys on the team' date=' not to shabby but not top
[/quote']

Just to correct things: Justin did not ride for CVT, his brother (Jason) did, Justin rode for Vineyard Hotel when Kevin Evans was still riding for Vineyard.. I am his neighbour so I think Im resonably well informed to make that correction, just for interests sake..