This morning on 702

Thug

Whilst driving to work this morning, a listener called in and told a story about how 3 cyclists attacked a woman driver last week Thursday. Unfortuantely I can't remember the area it took place in.

They harrassed her for a number of robots all because she told them that they were endangering their lives by cycling 3 abreast and it made it difficult for her to overtake. These thugs eventually took out her carkeys and rode off with them and only returned later on with them.

Fortunately the petrol attendants across the road witnessed the whole incident and took down the cars registration number when one of the cyclists returned with the carkeys. Charges have now been laid with the Police.

This type of incident makes my blood boil and certainly doesn't do much for the image of cyclists. These cyclists should be named & shamed.

Anyone else hear the call ?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

missed it. that's bloody ridiculous. after reading this and skye's hassles, we don't stand too much chance of earning respect. sad, really, considering how 94.7 has been asking for motorists to exercise caution and respect for the hordes of riders out in training for next month. there is a website to report road hogs. would be good to start one for riders. hard to identify them though.

Not nice of the cyclist but my GF has a difficult time driving through Greenside some mornings because the cyclist take up the whole road and only rides 5km/h.

This kind of behaviour is just not acceptable!

It should be dealt with at club level, they must be kicked out of their clubs, and banned from joining another. They must also not be allowed to get any form of cycling licence to compete.

We don't need these guys in our sport, it is hard enough on the roads without the added harassment.

unfortunately, and I more than likely will get flamed, but... This is many road bike riders issue. I see it too often, and it grinds me when it is just assumed that the whole road is theirs. Had an incident yesterday like this. Was stuck behind 4 riding next to each other, until I just could not tolerate it any longer and hooted polity. So, the one decides to turn and give me the bird. So, I pull up next to them when the road was clear, and said to them that that attitude is going to get them bumped. So the prick tells me to f*ck off. And then seeing that I have MTB,s on the back, proceeds to tell me that I have less right to the road than them because I am a MTB'er... WOW, I nearly bumped them just to try and clean up the gene pool... Sorry roadies... But you guys don't have any right to roads in SA. Don?t assume you do. Vehicles are bigger and harder than you, and unfortunately the cyclist will come off second best. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Flame as much as you like... and then go buy an MTB Wink

unfortunately' date=' and I more than likely will get flamed, but... This is many road bike riders issue. I see it too often, and it grinds me when it is just assumed that the whole road is theirs. Had an incident yesterday like this. Was stuck behind 4 riding next to each other, until I just could not tolerate it any longer and hooted polity. So, the one decides to turn and give me the bird. So, I pull up next to them when the road was clear, and said to them that that attitude is going to get them bumped. So the prick tells me to f*ck off. And then seeing that I have MTB,s on the back, proceeds to tell me that I have less right to the road than them because I am a MTB'er... WOW, I nearly bumped them just to try and clean up the gene pool... Sorry roadies... But you guys don't have any right to roads in SA. Don?t assume you do. Vehicles are bigger and harder than you, and unfortunately the cyclist will come off second best. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

dangerous to generalise. there are a lot of responsible roadies out there. i will ride two abreast, but always look over my shoulder to see what's coming. heck, even if you're riding alone, you always look over your shoulder.

Have mailed John Robbie to ask if they have a podcast or sound snippet that they can send so we can hear and post.

unfortunately' date=' and I more than likely will get flamed, but... This is many road bike riders issue. I see it too often, and it grinds me when it is just assumed that the whole road is theirs. Had an incident yesterday like this. Was stuck behind 4 riding next to each other, until I just could not tolerate it any longer and hooted polity. So, the one decides to turn and give me the bird. So, I pull up next to them when the road was clear, and said to them that that attitude is going to get them bumped. So the prick tells me to f*ck off. And then seeing that I have MTB,s on the back, proceeds to tell me that I have less right to the road than them because I am a MTB'er... WOW, I nearly bumped them just to try and clean up the gene pool... Sorry roadies... But you guys don't have any right to roads in SA. Don?t assume you do. Vehicles are bigger and harder than you, and unfortunately the cyclist will come off second best. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

dangerous to generalise. there are a lot of responsible roadies out there. i will ride two abreast, but always look over my shoulder to see what's coming. heck, even if you're riding alone, you always look over your shoulder.

Thus I said "many". But let me add that this is more the issue in built up areas. as there is very little space for vehicles to overtake. But once again they should not have to overtake 3/4 cyclists riding abreast. Come on guys. It is in the best interest of the rider not to ride like that in these areas. Esp not in silly season. 

Have mailed John Robbie to ask if they have a podcast or sound snippet that they can send so we can hear and post.

mail his producer rather. robbie can't operate his e-mail (not kidding and not being nasty).

Whilst driving to work this morning' date=' a listener called in and told a story about how 3 cyclists attacked a woman driver last week Thursday. Unfortuantely I can't remember the area it took place in.

They harrassed her for a number of robots all because she told them that they were endangering their lives by cycling 3 abreast and it made it difficult for her to overtake. These thugs eventually took out her carkeys and rode off with them and only returned later on with them.

Fortunately the petrol attendants across the road witnessed the whole incident and took down the cars registration number when one of the cyclists returned with the carkeys. Charges have now been laid with the Police.

This type of incident makes my blood boil and certainly doesn't do much for the image of cyclists. These cyclists should be named & shamed.

Anyone else hear the call ?

[/quote']

WTF??? This kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable. Even if she did something wrong, it's just not right. Angry

This is madness...

I have noticed that there are a few bunches lately that simply do not care about other road users. Yes they need to train, but it is not that difficult to ride single file on narrow roads. Some people...

This is madness...
I have noticed that there are a few bunches lately that simply do not care about other road users. Yes they need to train' date=' but it is not that difficult to ride single file on narrow roads. Some people... [/quote']

agreed. if you're in a group, the guy who rides at the back should keep an eye out and warn those in front to move over.

This is madness...
I have noticed that there are a few bunches lately that simply do not care about other road users. Yes they need to train' date=' but it is not that difficult to ride single file on narrow roads. Some people... [/quote']

agreed. if you're in a group, the guy who rides at the back should keep an eye out and warn those in front to move over.

That does happen. and is effective in riding 2 abreast. But more than that. By the time the car has been spotted and they rider at the back has called, the car is rights behind then. But more than that next to one another, you cant all just sprint or fall back to form a single file in time...<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Just think how nice it would be if when had designated road lanes like some of the more cycling orientated countries...

But you guys don't have any right to roads in SA. Don?t assume you do. Vehicles are bigger and harder than you' date=' and unfortunately the cyclist will come off second best. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

I'm sorry for what happened to you, but I'm also quite sure that your side of the story is probably not as innocent as you make it out to be.

For your information, we have just as much right to use the road as anyone else. If there is a slow moving car in front of you what do you do? You wait for the correct opportunity and you pass him. Just do the same with cyclists its not that difficult, and I'm sure you weren't on your way to do lifesaving surgery so arriving at you destination 2mins later wouldn't have killed you.

For your information' date=' we have just as much right to use the road as anyone else. If there is a slow moving car in front of you what do you do? You wait for the correct opportunity and you pass him. Just do the same with cyclists its not that difficult, and I'm sure you weren't on your way to do lifesaving surgery so arriving at you destination 2mins later wouldn't have killed you.

?

?

?
[/quote']

Not wanting to start any wars...

However, I have to ask, why can they not also be thoughtful and ride to the left. We are all trying to find a solution and riding in the middle of the road i do not feel is the best one.

A slow car/motorbike will move to the left to let faster traffic go past (well they should anyway). So why can't the cyclists?

I am a roadie and have been for 16 years, and even i loose patience with some of the guys on the roads at the moment.