A lighter bike...

chris414

Hey guys.  Keeping your fitness levels constant, roughly how much do you think (or know?) taking 2kg off you bike weight will do to your time for a race like the argus? 

Chris

Not much at all, entirely dependant on your start group unless you're gonna go bliksemming of the front and ride it like a hero?

TitusTi whats wrong with that?? LOL It's great fun in any race to get bored and decide you don't want the company of the likes of Marius for the rest of the race LOLEmbarrassed...I did it several times this season...and even got away with it once Thumbs%20Up

Have no issues with it just saying a lighter bike isn't gonna do a damn thing for your Argus time! Training might help though.

I once worked this out and (for me) it was about 14 seconds saved (incorporating time lost on downhills) per 100m of ascent. So for the argus that is about 2:30 saved on hills alone.. hardly worth it??

There is also the saving on accelerating the bicycle which might be more depending on how smooth your pedal action is.

If you are trying to lose 2kg of bike parts to improve your argus rather get aero/lightweight wheels or train harder LOL

Ok put it this way,  At the begining of the year i rode the Cape Cobra with a bike that weight under 7kg and came 4th in the elites,  a week later i rode the roller coaster with another bike that weight over 10kg and came 6th In the 'A' bunch.   Both races have lots of climbing.  So how much difference does bike weight make and how much is in the mind? 

Ha Token.  Nail on the head....

MIND Screwing.....THAT is what it all boils down to.......

But in the end, if Chris is like a machine, thumping out 700watts, training 40 hours a week and eating like Lance, dropping 2kg off the bike might improve his time.....?