MTB SA Olympic Program

Athena

Daar moet 'n goeie kombinasie van altwee wees . Yolanda was nog altyd 'n sterk ryer maar haar skills was rerig nie daar so twee jaar terug nie . Tegnies is sy nou baie sterk en soos Amoryn se 'n gedugte MTb'er (en blerrie oulik) . Maar sy sal nog baie moet insit om "ass kicking" by die worlds te doen .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a quick flash back to last years world's.......

winner

1. 1 NOR19730210 DAHLE FLESJAA Gunn-Rita NOR 1:55:19

last person to finish all laps

34. 48 JPN19790913 KATAYAMA Rie JPN 2:21:26 + 26:06

Saffa's

36. 50 RSA19761230 SPEEDY Yolanda RSA -1Lap

41. 55 RSA19760418 RAATS Tania RSA -2Laps

RSA19810822 MUNDY Amy-Jane RSA DNF

dalk moet almal net ophou negatief wees en na die positiewe kyk...hel, die girl het talent en sy sal dit nog ver maak...daardie vroue doen dit almal proffesioneel onthou

amoryns - I'm with you on that, what a bunch of moan gatte! Just a reminder that Yolanda and her partner finished Sabie experience 5th overall!

As I recall she had a technical problem at the champs? Could be wrong!

PosNoCatNameStage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4TimeRemarks
1T1MenGt-Mazda Merida03.24.0703.22.5402.58.0400.51.5210.36.570
2T124MenJeep 103.21.5103.38.1803.03.4900.55.5810.59.560
3T306MenHarmony Racing03.28.4803.46.0003.02.4600.57.2311.14.570
4T114VetCyclelab Supercycling 103.33.1403.40.4303.06.4400.56.4011.17.210
5T179MixImc Racing03.29.0903.39.3203.11.4400.59.3411.19.590

yes, but the sabie race is a marathon type event, we know our girls are strong in that discipline...well against the local guys anyway, its the "olympic" format XC racing where they need some serious work - and now thanks to the CSA they will get that when the go overseas and get their butts kicked (in a good way)

the above worlds results just prove that you cant rac mazda's all yar long and then go an try to be competitive overseas.

lest see how they go after this year - but not wanting to sound like a pessimist (how do yu spell that?) they will surely still be trailling behind.

My suggestion to one of the ladies was at the provincials, race in the Elite mens category, it's the only way they're gonna get used to the pure speed!

My suggestion to one of the ladies was at the provincials' date=' race in the Elite mens category, it's the only way they're gonna get used to the pure speed![/quote']

Very good call i think.

Just for interests sake, does anybody know how our senior men compare to the overseas ladies?

Yeah i'm back!

20070108_034407_band.gif

Had a GREAT holiday! Doing really well. Got back late Thursday. Spent the weekend in CT and rode Tokai several times just to end my leave on a positive note....man i missed my bike!

Back at work today, but our staff only start tomorrow, so it's very quiet. I've done absolutely jack today. Don't intend starting now either Big%20smile

This was the highlight of my trip, a hike to Waterfall Bluff in Transkei. Apparently one of only three waterfalls in the world to fall straight into the sea. That's me sitting on the rocks beneath. BREATHTAKING STUFF!

20070108_034831_Waterfall_Bluff.JPG

Riding the Epic should be of benifet to them provided that they dont race it 110% and they are allowed a decent recovery afterwards and then concentrate on XC racing.

The ladies who aim to race Olympics XC will need to spend more time (not just 6 weeks) overseas racing world cup events and not only Worlds with a few warm up races before. The World Champs are not as competitive as the World cup events. 

Obvisiouly no one can afford to spend the whole season in Europe and as there is not enough competition in SA the only other option would be to allow the ladies to compete in the mens catagories (where there are more entrants and faster riders), not sure if the UCI regs will allow for this during national / regional events?

Riders like Yolanda have the experience, (she has raced Dh, XC and at least 2 x World champs XC already), but what she and every other SA rider needs is consistent year round better competition to raise the racing standard. 

SwissVan, I agree with you the Epic would be good for these ladies if they didn't have to race @110% but what are the chances of that happening? Who here when they have a chance to race does not give 110%, that's the whole reason they're being groomed. I think the Swiss Power cup is also another good feeder zone for the World cup and World champs. My reason for them racing against the men here is because the girls they come across over there are not nice sweet and polite like our ladies over here. They are gonna get pushed and shoved around and that they need to learn to deal with.

SwissVan' date=' I agree with you the Epic would be good for these ladies if they didn't have to race @110% but what are the chances of that happening? Who here when they have a chance to race does not give 110%, that's the whole reason they're being groomed. I think the Swiss Power cup is also another good feeder zone for the World cup and World champs. My reason for them racing against the men here is because the girls they come across over there are not nice sweet and polite like our ladies over here. They are gonna get pushed and shoved around and that they need to learn to deal with.[/quote']

Yup I agree with the principal of racing against the men as a in SA solution (if they cannot go overseas for a season or 2?).

I remember a few years back (2001, 2002) when some of the elite ladies did ride with the Subvet men at some regional races in Gauteng precisely for the purpose of riding with stiffer competition.

With regards to racing the Epic, well I suppose you have to prioritise your goals and which is more important in the long run? probably the local scene / Epic.

Another factor to consider is they need to build up UCI points to ensure they get the best start position possible, it does not help if you start from the second last row (starts positions are allocatted according to world cup points) with 85 leanmeansuperfit world cup chicks in front of you, after1 lap you are already 10 minutes down.

Yeah after 2 minutes of racing you haven't actually started yet, just waited for everyone to get going, it sucks!