Raleigh Pricing

Eugene

Has anybody seen the 2009 price list on the Raleigh website.

I was horrified. Some models have gone up by almost 70%.

I know there were huge increases in store for us in 2009, but jeez, this is rediculous.

Are these prices indicative of the whole market or has Probike just gone over-board with their increases? Have other brands shown similar increases.

A Raleigh RC2000 is going for R9 500.00. The RC6000 Aluminium is a whopping R18 000 odd.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness I upgraded both my road bike and MTB in the last 6months prior to this kind of price explosion! Phew!

Are they better specd?
Nope an RC6000 still has 105 just like mine.  Got Mavic Aksiums on instead of Shimano WH 550?s, but apart from that it?s the same as 3 years back!  They even went back to the 2005 black and white colorscheme!!!

Only difference is I paid R7900 and they now go for R18400! WOW

I think this price explosion is a little over-hyped.

It was noted in a previous thread that online stores like CRC are still very well priced. And those sites factor in the weaker rand immediately.

I'm not sure the reason for Probike's increases, but I've noted some time ago that competitors such as Silverback seem to offer the same product for less. It could be that Probike has gotten to big or is sponsoring too many cyclists, who knows?

It's just anectodal, but I have seen an above-average amount of bikes for sale in the classifieds section. The prices of these bikes seem reasonable.

I don't think cyclists will be hurt by the so-called price explosion. They have the choice to either buy from CRC direct or shop in the second-hand (and possibly financially distressed) market.

So if anything, it'll be the importers like Probike who'll suffer, being squeezed by a weaker rand, lower demand and an increasingly competitive second-hand market. Ouch!

Just to compare with Germany.  You can get a similarly specced 2009 Canyon bike with 105 groupset, also Mavic Aksiums for 869 Euro (R11,100).  The RC6000 is R18400!

Then this is a good special! R18000 cash PM me, medium frame

FRAME MATERIAL Schwinn 'N'Litened' Black Label Carbon Fiber , Race Geometry, IS Standard Integrated Head Tube, Forg
FORK/SUSPENSIONSchwinn Black Label Monocoque Carbon Fiber W/ 1 1/8" Steerer & Forged Dropouts.
WHEELSETMavic Aksium Complete Wheelset
GROUPSETShimano Ultegra sl

http://www.bicycling.co.za/images/bbg/2008/Schwinn3.jpg