Power based training

Bikemax

Ok now you have a power meter. now what?

I ride my bike, I see power, download it to computor, See nice graphs etc. but...

how do I know I train at right intensity ?

how do I know if I actually getting better..?

How do I know at what levels do I need to ride regarding power..?

I know you are a coach and I have actually already contacted Bikemax

regarding formal training you guys give and we know you are also in a

bussiness to make a living but just generally give us an overview..

Where to start what to do and get us going.

Worcesterwheeler

Isn't worcester on the other side of the mountain or tunnel..LOL..!!

Chiao :

still horseless lancelot

Bikemax

Ok now you have a power meter. now what?

I ride my bike' date=' I see power, download it to computor, See nice graphs etc. but...

how do I know I train at right intensity ?

how do I know if I actually getting better..?

How do I know at what levels do I need to ride regarding power..?

I know you are a coach and I have actually already contacted Bikemax regarding formal training you guys give and we know you are also in a bussiness to make a living but just generally give us an overview.. Where to start what to do and get us going.

[/quote']

Hi Lancelot

Ok...

1. Testing to establish base power levels - 20 min TT all out.

2. Getting better = more power at measured durations. E.G If you can put out 300w for 20 mins at the outset and 8 weeks later can put out 310w for 20 mins and your weight has stayed the same then you have improved.

3.There are established protocols for power training levels and these are calculated as a %age of your initial power output (from the TT)

I am happy to elaborate on these levels but this is the basic start point.

Peter

Worcesterwheeler

Isn't worcester on the other side of the mountain or tunnel..LOL..!!

Chiao :

still horseless lancelot

Hi Lancelot.

Any news on your new "steed"

P.S. for the rest of the hubbers' date=' he's getting a new Cervelo R3!! I'm SOO jealous!!!!! [img']smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

As for Worcester being on the other side of the tunnel, yes. But we always refer to the Tunnel as the "Boerewors curtain", but it seems to some people it actually starts somewhere around the outshirts of the Northern Suburbs.

Admin / fellow hubbers, sorry for going a bit off topic..... smileys/smiley36.gif

I have been selling Powertaps for about 2 years so have to admit up front that I am biassed! However, for the first time in 2 years I accepted some coaching to get fit fast for the recent 3 day Sani 2 C MTB race

The brief to my coach was ... 2 Very little kids, 2 very hectic businesses .. I can only train every second day (for about 90 mins) and one longish one weekends. I need every session to be a quality one. The beauty of the powermeter is that you can stumble out of bed in the morning and know to within about 10watts exactly what you will be doing for the next 90 mins. You cant bullsh&t yourself and you very certainly cannot bullsh&t your coach (it is like having him sitting with you on the bike peeking over your shoulder!)

Well, the results astounded me... all my training (weekly rides) were at FTP and I found in the race that my "grind" was awesome. It was a real pity my partner (Barry Pauw) got sick as we slipped from our day one position of 8th overall (1st masters) to 11th. We were certainly up there and good for 6/7th overall had he not faded.

I could feel the specificity of the training i had done. Anything around FTP, I was like a lion. This was great, coz in a nenduro event like this, you are primarily "grinding" away 4 -5 hours per day

The two obvious problems in the race you would guess

If i rode out of my FTP zone, eg when closing the gap on riders trying to drop us, my legs really burnt and recovery too slow. On long races like this you dont do it often but you would obviously train this aspect more carefully given enough time

My legs were not used to 3 days in a row! My recovery after the race was longer than it would normally have been

There is now doubting the fitness gains (or time saving) from the very specific training one can do with a powermeter!

Best

Frank Soll

• 5 months later...

A PM is only good for you if you know how to analyze the data (same as HR).

I would suggest to anyone who has one to read this:

Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Hunter Allen (Author), Andrew Coggan (Author)