mavic vs. xt mtb rims

Apache

Thanks Johan, will have a look at the DRC if I can find them locally, (with that price diff I imagine the lbs will hide them as they are cheaper and dont come with a bling halogen decal!)

Also do you have any experience with Novatec hubs, (think they used to be Joytec back in the early days), I know they feature on quite a few low end builds from time to time.

I have a set of these hubs with which I can find very little fault, other than the fact that they dont have a sexy well known name. 

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Johan' date=' will have a look at the DRC if I can find them locally, (with that price diff I imagine the lbs will hide them as they are cheaper and dont come with a bling halogen decal!)

Also do you have any experience with Novatec hubs, (think they used to be Joytec back in the early days), I know they feature on quite a few low end builds from time to time.

I have a set of these hubs with which I can find very little fault, other than the fact that they dont have a sexy well known name. 

Thanks
[/quote']

Haven't come across Novatec - people who come to me to build wheels tend to go for upmarket stuff and brand names like Shimano and Campag.

Joytech hubs were on my first bicycle and a few others I serviced for friends in the early days. They were excellent value for money hubs but I cannot comment on the range, having not examined their seals etc.

DRC: The local agent is out of stock but you can still find it at some shops. I found a pair at Westdene Cycles last week. They're available in silver and black. Westdene had silver. I hope the agent keeps his promise on a shipment arriving in late January otherwise we're in trouble.

They don't come with bling halogen decals but I fit them with a fantastic Yellow Saddle sticker made from organic PVC printed with soya-based ink mixed by authentic tribal Incas in the valleys of Peru.

Johan' date=' your comments on the DT Swiss X1800 wheelsets? I recently bought a pair for Desert Dash and have been quite impressed (especially seeing I'm on what can be term 'fat bastard' side of the scaleLOL). How long they will last is another matter, but for now they seem to be rather decent..[/quote']

Cant comment as I don't memorise the model numbers of all the wheels I see. Perhaps a photo will jog my memory.

However, the DT Swiss rims I've seen come in two variations - single and double eyelet (sockets). The former is more prone to cracking than the proverbial Ming vase in a slapstick comedy.

What always amazes me is how people speak from a platform of authority and throw the word "crap" design around quite loosely.

These same folk sit and criticize all and sundry yet they don't have the balls to start up their own company, as Shimano, Campy, Mavic ........etc.etc.etc have done.

So please all experts, if you know better, then put your money where your mouth is and start manufacturing the ELUSIVE fantastic product that y'all seem to know so much about.

I agree with an earlier post, you will get varied comments based on peoples personal preferences.

I for one like Shimano wheels and I love their hubs, they are simple to maintain.

Summit Cycles

Is this more or less a list of wheel companies

DT Swiss

Shimano

Mavic

Token

Any others?

Slowbee

That is correct, however there are many, too many to mention actually.

I will add one or two and list my favorites, please don't shoot me though Wink

DT Swiss-fav.

Shimano-fav

Roval-fav

Mavic

Zipp-fav

Token

Neuvation

WTB

Olympic

Kore

Alex

Campag

Bontrager-fav

Fulcrum-fav

Easton

And the list goes on.........................

However these are the most common ones we get in this country

Thanks - and that list is for wheels on road bikes?

Do they also make mtb wheels?

(do campy make mtb wheels?)

Thanks Mampara

Just trying to sort through what products are around.

Took me a while to get to grips with Shimano, Campy and Sram stuff.

(do campy make mtb wheels?)

yes but they are labled Fulcrum.

LOLLOLClapClap

Very nice wheels though.

@ Slowbee, most of these companies do both.

I forgot to mention another favorite.

Crank Brothers, but I can't afford them Ouch

ClapLOLClap

i gather then that there are different types of fulcrums?

Ok, so time for some real education

You get:

1. wheel manufacturer(s)

2. spoke manufacturer(s)

3. hub manufacturer(s)

4. tyre manufacturers(s)

5. tube manufacturer(s)

Within each of these you get different models/makes

Not all of the above parts are always compatible with any of the other parts.

Am I right so far?