Zipp 808

Pantani

Has anybody here raced on Zipp 808's? I understand that they have a very deep rim depth, something like 81mm, and this might present a problem in cross winds. I'm sure that you can get around this by hiding in the right place in a bunch. However, if you have a wheelset like this, why hide in the bunch, you would be time trialing to the finish right? Wink

Is this wheelset tough to control in cross winds?

Pantani2007-01-31 07:14:38

You cant ride anything deeper then a 404 on the front wheel in a road race (UCI regulations)... I think you can race a 808 on the back though... I wouldn't reallly want to use 808s in a road race anyway... rather get a set of 404s they good all round wheels and are managable in a cross wind...

The CSC guys used to use 404 front and 808 rear for road races early last year, was cool to see the whole team at the front trying to bury the bunch aand everyone on the same wheels.

Use a Vulcan mind control technique "Dr Spark"Big%20smile

Use a Vulcan mind control technique "Dr Spark"Big%20smile

Bwahahahaha, good one!

To the point. It would be a bit of a waste to ride a wheelset like this and merely sit in the bunch. Anyway, so there is nothing inbetween a Zipp 404 and Zipp 808 in rim depth, just a combination of the 2 wheelsets?

My mate races with them (front and back) and he swears by them. Unless a direct crosswind I think you should do fine.

Has anybody here raced on Zipp 808's? I understand that they have a very deep rim depth' date=' something like 81mm, and this might present a problem in cross winds. I'm sure that you can get around this by hiding in the right place in a bunch. However, if you have a wheelset like this, why hide in the bunch, you would be time trialing to the finish right? Wink

[/quote']

looking at replacing the HED's?

Yeah... Ermm But I want to buy a wheelset now that will suit the sort of riding I want to do in 9 months time... Tongue Needless to say I'm going underground and will surface in October...

Pantani2007-01-31 07:47:53