Road cycling with mountain bike tyres

wadeegh

Hi,

How much of a difference would it make putting on slicks onto my mountain bike when cycling on the road.  With my current tyres (Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1) on my GT Avalanche seems to struggle quite a bit on the road and makes a heck of a noise as well.  If I get slightly narrower slicks, could I see an improvement in my performance?  A friend of mine that has been cycling for years told me that it does play a big roll, but he has a road bike so does not know too much about mountain bikes.

Thanks

Um, mtb=ride off road... If you want to ride on the road, they make bikes for that...

tyre width does nothing for rolling resistance. You only use the centre 10mm anyway, that is if you pump them up nice and hard. Otherwise, try just that, pump them as hard as what is printed on the sidewall, or get slicks.

The only problem with that is I struggle to keep up with my friends on their road bikes, all my efforts seem to go into the noise my tryes make :-)  Will try out the slicks this weekend.

Nevegal's will always be **** on the tar.  Get some hard semi-slicks from Conti (City Contacts are good), pump them up to 90 psi and you have tyres that will work fine on just about any dry, hard surface.  If you are riding over rocks or roots you will start to have problems.

Mampara - pumping Nevegal's to max (50 psi if I remember right) will not help.

the trick is to train like a slave on the knobblies, then come race day put on the slicks and scorch all your mate with your new found pace...

just a thought, nevegal tires are knobblie as all hell, good job for not blowing your legs off while training.

Hi,

Yes it will make a difference.You can look at a

26 x 1.190 or 1.95 slick.You can inflate your mountain bike tyre to about 4.6 bar (See the sidewall of the tyre for reccomended pressure) which will also, help but not as much as the slicks would.

It will make a big difference and in spite of what some people may say, I think it is a natural progression to getting two bikes.  As soon as you've fitted the slicks, you'll be seduced by the smoothness of your ride. Then you'll notice that you run out of gearing quite easily. Right after that the fork bobbing will bother you and then, only then, are you ready for your first road bike.

Cycling to me is not about road vs MTB. It's about the right bike for the occasion. Either way, it's still cycling.

And when the feeling as described above overcomes you go and have few beers and wait for it to go away . Same happened to me , went out and bought one of those ugly skinny wheel campy equiped things , did 3 races and GAVE it away ! For real excitement go for a hair cut

And when the feeling as described above overcomes you go and have few beers and wait for it to go away . Same happened to me ' date=' went out and bought one of those ugly skinny wheel campy equiped things , did 3 races and GAVE it away ! For real excitement go for a hair cut[/quote']

Some people like wine, some like beer. I like both and the odd whisky at times too.

I've lost my appetite for road racing, probably 'cause I'm too slow now. However, touring is one of life's great pleasures. There's something about going from town to town with just a small pannier or two and a credit card. People who would otherwise never approach you to talk come right up and chat, invite you for supper, introduce you to their daughters....

You shouldn't give up on skinny-wheel cycling. It's better than it looks, or what you've gleaned from a mere three races.

smiley24.gif So you really think I should have given it more time ?

Like I say, whatever floats your boat. In your case I'd say yes, you exited too quickly.

Perversely I like riding in the traffic. I do a route each morning that includes a bit of traffic and I can honestly say that people are generally curteous (to the point of being a pain in circles where they have right of way) and even the taxis seem to do less stupid things than they do to other vehicles.

It has its own charms.