Why does Lance ride a 58cm size frame?

epoh

What interests me is the weight of his bike' date=' not as light as I thought it would be! I imagined it to be like 6kgs. You see all these bikes in magazines boasting sub 6kgs, so I expected he would be riding one of them.[/quote']True, but with a custom spray job and 400 Livestrong, how many days I haven't raced stickers, you can add say 1kg... Remove that and you have it at 6.2kg's Big%20smile So clearly Lance is not racing, it's all about cancer awareness. If this was the old Lance he would of had that bike at 6.8kg to be exact...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What interests me is the weight of his bike' date=' not as light as I thought it would be! I imagined it to be like 6kgs. You see all these bikes in magazines boasting sub 6kgs, so I expected he would be riding one of them.[/quote']True, but with a custom spray job and 400 Livestrong, how many days I haven't raced stickers, you can add say 1kg... Remove that and you have it at 6.2kg's Big%20smile So clearly Lance is not racing, it's all about cancer awareness. If this was the old Lance he would of had that bike at 6.8kg to be exact...

yeah... the stickers will not fit on anything smaller than a 58cm frame LOL

I think he has some dik tubes on that monster, looking at some clips the frame flex is unreal! I wonder If that has something to do with it.

quick question, On average, Is a 110mm stem long ?(56 frame) I meen without doing any weird pro stuff. I ride a large MTB with a 100mm stem but  I cant ride in the drops on my roadbike, and feel uncomfortable when riding normally(holding ontopwhatever thats called).

I recently got the roadbike so I might just not be use to it, but I ride long distance on the mtb often so the roadbike shouldnt feel  this uncomfortable right? Im thnking I should get a 90mm stem.

any advice from the veterans??

Wierd hey?! I'm exactly the same height as LA, my saddle height (BB to top of saddle) is just 5mm lower...and I ride a 54ctt Pinarello, 12cm stem and only 1.5cm of spacers beneath my stem.

LA's reasoning must work...I mean he's kicked @ss all over the world. But, in hindsight...someone should have told Sean Kelly his set up was WAY wrong!!!!

ya cancellara rides a 56 frame or something but even worse is jens voigt he rides the biggest bike made by cervelo and still rides an extra length seatpost and a 140mm stem (custom made)

I have had many 140mm stems and I can assure you they were never custom. I can also tell you there are a few 150mm stems available too. As for the seatpost - plenty of long MTB posts about which fit the bill.

I ride a 58cm scott, am 1.95m tall and have no spacers under the stem (in fact I have a very low profile headset too).

As a rule, a smaller frame is better because:

1. it is lighter

2. will flex less

3. is more nimble

Lance is a bit of a funny guy though - he shunned the slopping top tube although logically it was always the right way to go - even Trek knew this and implemented it when he left. If he shunned the logical frame, why worry too much about the size - maybe he really is trying to prove its not about the bike.