bars

Borriz

So what is the ruling on flat vs raiser bars.

And don't comment with roadie crap like raiser = no bar end!

I'm wanting to know if they are helpful for technical terrain or not. I've always thought that they disadvantage you from a technical perspective and gives you that extra relaxation compared to flat bars. But now I see all the downhillers using them.

My physics tells me it will relax your headset angle and allow for better positioning behind your seat on drop-offs.

Anyone's views will be appreciated

And don't comment with roadie crap like raiser = no bar end!

It's not "roadie crap" it's the law of nature.

Anyway, flats on XC bikes and raisers on everything else. A hardtail look crap with raisers and a freeride/AM bike looks crap with bar-ends.

Riser bars offer better control and leverage. Flat bars to lower you, but you can achieve the same result by flipping your stem.

Risers are also generally wider, hence Crow's point about control and leverage. Fun in trees though... but imho they just look better and are more comfortable.

Riser bars offer better control and leverage. Flat bars to lower you' date=' but you can achieve the same result by flipping your stem. [/quote']

Or using a 0degree road stem...

RIZER all tha way!! I see more and more top riders (not just SA) going for low rize bars. appart from looks, Its a personal thing, but my bike Is not just for racing, If I had 2 bikes, I might have had a flat on the Race bike, but Its just no fun on technical stuff compared to a rizerbar.

But now I see all the downhillers using them.

My physics tells me it will relax your headset angle and allow for better positioning behind your seat on drop-offs.

Thats because they are wider normally. Wider bars give you more leverage and a more stable setup for landing jumps etc.

It wont relax the headset angle. Only running longer front shocks will do that, and it might not be what your bike was designed to do. Some frame designs suffer when a non spec fork is fitted. The riser bars will lift your pand position, but then a different stem will do that too.

Riser bars look cool though, but not on XC bikes. They just look stupid then IMO.

Oh, and bar ends on risers SUCK infinitely. It's almost as cheesy as wearing bib shorts.

My point about the comments like "bar ends on risers suck" etc. comes clearly from guys going up mountain by means of cars or ski-lifts. Do you honestly want to tell me you cycle for 5-9 hours with only one hand position available??????????

Similar question about bib shorts. Yes downhillers wear them cause they flatten the course in 5-12 minutes. Even The Minaar wears bibs in the Epic - sure he would've worn baggies if it made sense!

As I said - I'm not looking for roadie comments. Roadies worry about what you wear and do on mountain bikes.

Back to the question and observations - I've also seen the top guys opting for risers. My main concern is basically fitting everything onto the bar when its got the cink in it.

My point about the comments like "bar ends on risers suck" etc. comes clearly from guys going up mountain by means of cars or ski-lifts. Do you honestly want to tell me you cycle for 5-9 hours with only one hand position available??????????

Similar question about bib shorts. Yes downhillers wear them cause they flatten the course in 5-12 minutes. Even The Minaar wears bibs in the Epic - sure he would've worn baggies if it made sense!

As I said - I'm not looking for roadie comments. Roadies worry about what you wear and do on mountain bikes.

Back to the question and observations - I've also seen the top guys opting for risers. My main concern is basically fitting everything onto the bar when its got the cink in it.

yep 5 to 9 hours WITHOUT bar ends is fine. Bar ends gave me numb hands, hooked branches and trees and the final straw nearly broke a rib in a crash, PLUS they look stupid, like a skinny bull!

re:bib shorts, yep they suck. Saw a guy in them at Tokai the weekend. 35 degrees. WTF is the point? It's a bunch of jeep tracks and the rest is trails & downhill. So out of place, like a tik dealer at a church cake sale.

roadie comments? dude, you can't post a question and then specify the type of answers you wanna get. I'm so far from being a roadie its not even funny. By the amount of stuff you wanna mount up front it sounds like a roadie talkin here! You know what I like to mount up front between the 'KINK' in my bars? I like to mount a big fork and a fat tyre.

who is 'The Minaar'?

Hell yea, I would be in baggys half the time, Especially when out trailriding in tokai etc..

As for the trying to fit It all on a bar with a kink..yours must not be wide enough!LOL I left mine uncut 685mm, and I use long BMX grips so I can put my hands closer to the middle on climbs etc, but on the DH I have all the control I want (probably more important for me than the ave Joe)

By the way, Why are some guys on about trees...Surely 20-40mm on either side will not make you more likly to crash into a tree? mabe the extra control of the wider bars help you mis the tree anyway..

Ive only been close to hitting trees in the Hakerville forrest. but thats not bars really, mabe just going to fast.......tigerline

Funnily enough, all else being equal the most obvious thing riser bars do is raise your bar. That redistributes weight somewhat rearward and makes you sit more upright.

Risers generally also have more upsweep and backsweep. (Though many funky flat bars are also now available). The upsweep keeps your hands on the bars in difficult sections, the backsweep increases comfort. Tilting the riser bar thus allows for more variations in hand positions than many flat bars.

Not only do bar ends on riser bars look silly, but they also often don't work well. Because of the bar's backsweep they may point unnaturally outwards.

Bars end up being a very individual choice. I have three bars and like each for different applications, sometimes on the same bike:

Flat, low bar with bar ends for 'marathons' and road for its multiple hand positions and a low, more aero position on bike.

Risers for shorter rides, particularly as they get more technical (when I even change to a shorter stem)

On-one's Mary bars for the SS (they don't work for me on my other bke or with shifters on + funny bikes need funny bars ;-)

Ride with what works for you.

By the way' date=' Why are some guys on about trees...Surely 20-40mm on either side will not make you more likly to crash into a tree? mabe the extra control of the wider bars help you mis the tree anyway..

[/quote']

Nope, its not the width of the bars. The bar ends hook things as ya ride. I used to have many crashes 'cos of this.

The only time gaps have been an issue was the one trail at Logwood. I think it catered for race snake bars and my 645mm bars never fitted properly.

i like the Baron on Main road in Bryanston. Might just be there if the traffic is as bad as it was yesteday.

As far as space goes, I ride 710's and even with the kink there's enough space for a Garmin, 2 lights, extra big grips, a kiddie seat, 2 mates and a medium size boerboel. I do find i endo a lot though smiley2.gif