Another day, another incident

jmaccelari

Lovemore' date=' worth his weight 10 times over in Gold!!

[/quote']
That he is. He was sent on First Aid courses by the Club last
year for just this eventuality. I suppose the sad thing is that
it was never a case of "if" he was going to use his newly
acquired skills, but "when"...

Unhappy

I agree, just good to know that there is someone in the Van following that if there is an emergency he will be able to respond and assist.

Something has to be done though to stop this total lack of respect for guys on Bicycles by other road users!

jpdub2009-02-13 01:39:06

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad, bad news.

Hope it's not too bad inury-wise and that he makes a full recovery.

It occurs to me that there are more cyclists around this time of year (lotsa training going on for the Argus) so there are bound to be more accidents. At least that's like my opinion.

I don't always follow all the rules when cycling, but my transgressions are calculated risks aftyer first making sure that it is safe to take the risk.

It seems that motorist do not have a care in the world for cyclists, or they are just too blind and stupid to see us / pay attention. While out riding on wed afternoon, a motorist overtook another on a barrier line just before the Lido Hotel. He did this with me coming in the opposite direction and he knew I was there, yet still overtook the other vehicle. I had to take evasive manouvres to get out of the way.

It seems his ten seconds was more important to him than my miserable life.

And this is not the first time I have had to do this. How can we change motorists attitudes towards road safety and cyclists in general.

I really think a protest ride is the thing. Stand up and be counted.

Damn, I don't even know the chap knocked down this morning, but it's depressing to read of incidents like this almost every day.

strongs to Steve, hope he's going to be ok.

Yep, Lovemore is worth a lot more than his weight in gold. He "mother hens" the straglers on saturday training rides so professionally - i'm sure he's one of the draw cards for people to join the club.

Sandton drive again!? And the thing is that you can't even say that there was a lot of traffic because the time of day that the guys from the lab go down there the traffic is quiet enough. Maybe 4 or 5 cars if that.

Hope Steve is okay. It's almost two months ago that Garth got knocked down on Sandton drive (that was 2 weeks before christmas - almost no traffic)

Garth pulled through but he has a lot of rehab to do. Last report I received (about two weeks ago) is that he has reached his goal of being able to walk around his house and he can lift his arms up to about 90 degrees.

Hope Steve is in better shape...

I actually believe that more serious accidents happen on the quiet roads and less during busy times. Yes guy's gets knocked down in peak traffic but it tends to be the guy's that speed on quiet roads that worry me most. On busy roads drivers are actually more alert and much more aware of the dangers. On the quiet roads is where the guy plays with he's sell phone or the radio ext.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I hate hearing about a cyclist down and even worse when you realise you know the person. If anyone has news on Steve, please let us know. I hope he is ok.

Just chatted to Ali. Steve apparently landed on his back on a metal

plate from roadworks, or the pavement or something, but it

appears it was not broken. He is still in severe pain which is worrying

and they are suspecting a compression in the T12 (?) vertebra.

More scans...

All the best to a fellow club member. Shot on the club for such good responses. Get better soon.

Hi All,

Gee man Steve is one hellova lucky man. 
As per Andrew he said they had turned right into William Nicol about 100m later there was a touch of wheels and Steve Midgley went down. Steve landed in the middle of his back on the metal edge of a drain. He said it was a shocking sight and created steve to convulse and loose and gain consciousness a few times.
I contacted Eli (steves wife) straight away and we were also lucky that a Triathlete lady stopped and controlled the situation, being a doctor.
The ambulance arrived promptly (Thanks ER24!!!)
Steve has had all the tests xrays and cat scan. there are no breaks, he does have a compressed T12 and muscle injuries but no broken bones.

We are appreciative of the way the accident was handled: the calls from concerned cyclists and riding mates, the reaction time from ER24... and are happy that Steve will be ok.

Steve our Baby Baby - recover quickly and we are very relieved to know you will be ok!

Thanks everybody!

Steve has great company in Sandton Clinic! Sean Badenhorst has just had his Apendix removed! Ahhh Sean so sorry to hear that too.

Make these guys feel better, a short sms i know will show your concern and support:
Steve Midgley - 083 616 6022
Sean Badenhorst - 083 311 1210

Ali Mclean2009-02-13 03:24:49

Bad news, not a nice thing to happen. I was there this morning, and Steve was well looked after by a few riders (Andrew McLean, Kath Cronje, and some others). Lovemore was quickly on the scene to bring a blanket and take steve's bike etc... Well handled accident.

Just a note though, the accident was not caused by a car this time. Although SA motorists are not the best of friends to cyclists, let's not jump in an attack them today when they were not at fault... smiley2.gif

Let's just keep up and nice messages and wish steve all the best.

Latest news - Steve's wife says he is "OK". I don't know what

that means exactly, but I presume it means no major damage.

I presume he's gonna be sore for a while!

Great to hear that Steve is Ok!! Speedy recovery to both Steve & Sean!!!

(not sure about the cell phone no's posted on a public forum)

Glad Steve is going to be Ok. 

Zaskar also had his accident turning onto William Nichol off Sandton drive, albeit that was caused be a taxi.

Well done to Lovemore!!!

Also best wishes to Sean!

Glad there's no major injuries. I agree its silly to blame motorists if you don't know what happened.

touch of wheels .... that's why I ride on my own - it's much safer.

But a group with back-up vehicles and assistance sounds like a damn good idea.

PS, Sean, I've still got an appendix if you (or anyone else) want to buy it?