Apparently we deserve to be knocked over

Daniel XTR

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is terrible that cyclists are dying doing what they love. I do however understand what this guy is saying. There are way too many cyclists playing russian roullette in traffic. For a truck driver trying to stay in his lane and go around cyclists must be extremely nerve wracking.

Yes, drivers on our roads are idiots. Why put your life in their hands? I last rode a road bike in 1990. Was bumped by a Putco bus and got away injury free. In hindsight, I was riding down Louis Botha which although not as busy then as it is now was just lookiing for trouble. What was I thinking?

Yup,

he raises a fair point, but i think there is an intollerance by motorists.

look at the differnce between "our reaction" and their reaction to what is in essence the same situation.
Daniel XT2009-02-16 04:05:10

Shot XT. Just registered over on that site. As soon as I can post messages there, I'm off to pick a fight.

I'll do some of the "knocking over" for them. The bloody morning riders must stip thinking there are no cars on the road and can take up half the road.

Yeah, surprises me too that there's not many more of them killed or seriously hurt.

Over Ou Kaapse Weg yesterday, in customary fashion they were riding 3, 4 next to each other, in groups every 50 - 100m or so.

Now,

Ou Kaapse is narrow and deceptive at the best of times. With these

suicidal lycra-clad idiots on it, it is just about impossible for two

cars to travel past each other safely.

Add another groups of

imbeciles from the other direction, the end-result is that cars have to

sit behind these morons at 15km/h until there's sufficient room to

pass. http://www.cartoday.com/ubb/mad.gif

I

actually felt like swerving left upon passing them, so that they can go

down in a tangle of bent medal and ripped lycra - maybe that will make

them wake up! http://www.cartoday.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

--------------------

1993 Audi 500SEL

1988 Honda CBR 750 Hurricane

I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a drunk! Alcoholics go to meetings...

funny the reference to being drunk on a driving forum.

i'm a cyclist, i give everyone a wide berth, runners, cyclists, motorbikes. just common courtesy surely.

I'll do some of the "knocking over" for them. The bloody

morning riders must stip thinking there are no cars on the road and can

take up half the road.

Twit. The cyclists have a legal right to access the road. Say for instance there is slow moving lorry in the road. One that moves slower eben than cyclists. Do you drive into the truck? Force it off the road? Arsehole.

TNT12009-02-16 04:10:15

Twit. The cyclists have a legal right to access the road. Say for instance there is slow moving lorry in the road. One that moves slower eben than cyclists. Do you drive into the truck? Force it off the road? Arsehole.

Single file cyclists and I will move around it. Not 10 cyclist taking up 2 lanes through Illovo.

half an arsehole. Wink

It's a sad fact in SA that we are an intolerant bunch - cyclists and motorists. We need to be ambassadors for our sport and be prepared to apologise if we've done something inconsiderate, rather than simply pulling zaps when someone hoots.

I can already see people shooting this idea down, but the more tolerant we are, the more likely we are to receive more tolerance from motorists.

It's a sad fact in SA that we are an intolerant bunch - cyclists and motorists. We need to be ambassadors for our sport and be prepared to apologise if we've done something inconsiderate' date=' rather than simply pulling zaps when someone hoots.

I can already see people shooting this idea down, but the more tolerant we are, the more likely we are to receive more tolerance from motorists.
[/quote']

indeed

Yeah, surprises me too that there's not many more of them killed or seriously hurt.

Over Ou Kaapse Weg yesterday, in customary fashion they were riding 3, 4 next to each other, in groups every 50 - 100m or so.

Now,

Ou Kaapse is narrow and deceptive at the best of times. With these

suicidal lycra-clad idiots on it, it is just about impossible for two

cars to travel past each other safely.

Add another groups of

imbeciles from the other direction, the end-result is that cars have to

sit behind these morons at 15km/h until there's sufficient room to

pass. http://www.cartoday.com/ubb/mad.gif

I

actually felt like swerving left upon passing them, so that they can go

down in a tangle of bent medal and ripped lycra - maybe that will make

them wake up! http://www.cartoday.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

--------------------

1993 Audi 500SEL

I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a drunk! Alcoholics go to meetings...

funny the reference to being drunk on a driving forum.

i'm a cyclist, i give everyone a wide berth, runners, cyclists, motorbikes. just common courtesy surely.

[/quote']

The kind of twit who has to list his old crap vehicles on his signature.

1993 Audi 500SEL

What's this poepol on about, surely his two jalopies cant do much more than 15kph up Ou Kaapse weg anyhow?

Wait for me TNT. I wanna join in.

Maybe this is where we cans stand up an be counted.

Odd that you mention that. Reading the attitude of the motorists on that site, do you really think your protest ride would make one drop of a difference to them, save to make them feel more entitled to the road, and less tolerant of other road users? I will guarantee that the attitude these arseholes display towards cyclists is exactly the same as the attitude they will have towards other road users, motorists, motorcyclists, whatever. If you are an arrogant c*nt that believes the road is his sole domain, look out everyone else...

Well put TNT1. You're absolutely right. No consideration. Sometimes not from the cyclists, too, and that  is a recurrent problem as well.

I train mostly on my own because I know I can keep myself relatively safe.