clipless,cleats,pedals,clips etc

CatGirl

i have the above on my bike at the moment. will i be able the wear mtb shoes on these pedals in the meantime while i wait for the pedals?

Yup, just get shoes that are spd compatible, ie you can screw the cleats on. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if you get shoes that dont allow for cleats. Those would just be stiff hiking shoes methinks.

Dont get toe clips whatever you do. Dangerous as anything.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the above on my bike at the moment. will i be able the wear mtb shoes on these pedals in the meantime while i wait for the pedals?

you can wear any shoes you like.

You can always get pedals like these below (shimano 324). They are flat on the one side and have the clip in part on the other. Great to learn how to use clipless pedals.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/shimano-pd-m324.jpg

you can wear any shoes you like.

You can always get pedals like these below (shimano 324). They are flat on the one side and have the clip in part on the other. Great to learn how to use clipless pedals.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/shimano-pd-m324.jpg

Solomons Pta has a set of these for about R400. Wanted to get a set for the missus' spinning bike, but bought SPD's instead.

i was thinking of getting the normal shimano pm520's or pm540's with the shimano shoes that go with it....i am new to this....

thanks all!

helloise

i was thinking of getting the normal shimano pm520's or pm540's with the shimano shoes that go with it....i am new to this....

thanks all!

helloise

If you not intending to ride further than your local cafe with tekkies on then rather go for the pm 520/540's as they about the same price as the multi purpose ones above. (I THINK the pm520's might be cheaper...I might be wrong)

Guest Agteros

thanks all!

helloise

You do not need Shimano shoes, you can buy any shoe you like (appearance / fit / budget, etc) as long as they can take the SPD cleats.

The shoe(Happens to be Shimano, not needed!) showing its sole has a SPD cleat (black thingymabob in the grey area under the toe area), and the shoes you want to buy must be able to fit same:

http://www.ghost-bikes.kiev.ua/pictures/SH-M072_l.jpg

Agteros2009-02-19 12:40:06

helloise i have raced the shimano pdm520 pedals for close on two years now and i am quite competitive you really will not go wrong with them the only thing i have had to do is replace the cleats after a year but i race a lot on my MTB so most people will not need to change cleats till they change pedal type

good luck with your buying

they can be removed' date=' but unlike a road shoe, mtb cleats are recessed into the sole.
[/quote']

and before long, become part of the shoe due to mud-cement, rust, or various other factors

* Hi jack* urgent hijack what are "cleats" in afrikaans, my daughter doing an afrikaans oral on cycling tomorow am.

manfrog' date=' you forgot clipless:

[/quote']

they are not clipless, Looks and other as clipless. Those are platform pedals.

Nope. Look/time/whatever, all called clipless incorrectly. They in fact clip your shoe to the pedal via a cleat.

Platform pedals are in fact the only true clipless pedals.

Clipless simply means sans clips.  Since toe-clips are the only things that were ever called clips (in cycling terms), all modern pedals and platform pedals are clipless.

Guest Agteros

* Hi jack* urgent hijack what are "cleats" in afrikaans' date=' my daughter doing an afrikaans oral on cycling tomorow am. [/quote']

Nugter weet Embarrassed

Definisie vir cleat volgens Webster (kan dalk gebruik word vir 'n omskrywing?)

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/Cleat <-- nog goed verder onder toe

Definition: Cleat

Cleat

Noun

1. A metal or leather projection (as from the sole of a shoe); prevents slipping.

2. A fastener (usually with two projecting horns) around which a rope can be secured.

3. A strip of wood or metal used to strengthen the surface to which it is attached.

Verb

1. Provide with cleats, as of running shoes.

2. Secure on a cleat; "cleat a line".

En http://allesfiets.blogspot.com/2008/09/onderhou-jou-pedale.html het ook nie 'n Afrikaans term daarvoor nie nie

helloise i have raced the shimano pdm520 pedals for close on two years now and i am quite competitive you really will not go wrong with them the only thing i have had to do is replace the cleats after a year but i race a lot on my MTB so most people will not need to change cleats till they change pedal type

good luck with your buying

We got 2 pairs of 520's and 2 pairs of 540's that we have been using like for ages and must agree with the tortoise that you cannot go wrong with them!

ok one last question: the difference between the 520's and 540's...

also the shoes in the picture on page 3, i think. they are quite nice, can i have model please and maybe price?

thanks

helloise