"Old" route vs Boyes drive

Jaco Steyn

Just in case someone was wondering what influence the alternative route over Boyes drive will have on your expected time, here is some more info to put it into perspective.

"Old" route and profile:

20090219_110822_Old_profile.jpg20090219_110856_Old_route.jpg

Boyes drive route and profile:

20090219_111119_Boyes_Profile.jpg20090219_111217_Boyes_drive.jpg

As you can see there was a height gain of ?12m on the old route and there is a ?160m height gain on Boyes drive!

This might not necessarily be bad?

Does this climb lend itself to the possibility of the large bunches breaking up early? Could it lead to smaller bunch, safer and maybe faster?

What effect would this have on overall time?

Is the dist still 109, or 110 as I read somewhere?

As I calculated it, this detour is exactly 1km longer than the old route. This would most probably mean that this years route is 110km.

This might not necessarily be bad?

Does this climb lend itself to the possibility of the large bunches breaking up early? Could it lead to smaller bunch' date=' safer and maybe faster?

What effect would this have on overall time?

Is the dist still 109, or 110 as I read somewhere?

[/quote']

The gradients are not that steep or that long. It will definitely put the weaker climbers in trouble, but I don't think it will cause the groups to break up to badly

You'll not be dashing anywhere except maybe to take drinks back to your team captain......

I'll be waiting at the drinks table with my legs up waiting for her.

Nuwbie while i was in cape town last year after the argus i was intrigued at the prospect of riding boyes drive and then riding along the coastal road and comparing the times fair enough not an exact measure of how much longer it should take but i think it was pretty decent seeing as i am not a climber

in the end it came back with my garmin reading that i had only done the boyes drive route 4minutes slower than the coastal road

also take into account i had flu so could be quicker if i was well, there was also a horrendous south easter and i was fresh and had not just gone all the way from the start so taking into account all of those by my calculations boyes drive will be the difference of a sub 3 to some but a difference of leading group and chasing group to guys like me all in all taking into account fitness levels that first little kick up onto boyes drive will have a few slower riders walking and helping them to lose more time all together

My humble opinion add 5 minutes to your time from last year and you should be safe to say that would be your time unless you are fitter and stronger you should have a very similar time to last yearturtlek2009-02-19 11:33:45

thanx turtle - its really my first one this year, I am planning on a 3:20 although my Emp, and R4S results show maybe a sub 3:10 is possible.

Now I have to replan , but I reckon a 36 ave can lead to a 3:00, but then I am only starting in "S" due to not really having a proper seeding

I did an Argus in 1990 though 3:36, while I was stamping feet in the SAW.

But I only started cycling again in 08.

Guest colonel

I would say add 5min-10min if no wind and if the SE is pumping add alot more.

The descent is NOT going to be fun. It is hairy enough with the PPA

rides. That road is bumpy as hell on the

right i.e the wrong side of the road. Keep left if you can.

But

the biggest concern is that last bend and then the right turn back onto

main road with the island right in the middle. There are  going to be

lots of tears & broken bones I fear.

The descent is NOT going to be fun. It is hairy enough with the PPA

rides. That road is bumpy as hell on the

right i.e the wrong side of the road. Keep left if you can.

But

the biggest concern is that last bend and then the right turn back onto

main road with the island right in the middle. There are? going to be

lots of tears & broken bones I fear.

Thats why i plan to be in front of the bunch screaming through the corner at close to 70km/h smiley36.gif smiley4.gif smiley4.gif smiley36.gif ok that is the plan lets hope it happens smiley17.gif

Thats why i plan to be in front of the bunch screaming through the corner at close to 70km/h smiley36.gif smiley4.gif smiley4.gif smiley36.gif ok that is the plan lets hope it happens smiley17.gif

You riding disabled cat? Wink

You riding disabled cat? Wink

smiley9.gif smiley9.gif smiley9.gif you got me smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

ok on a more serious note though i will be riding in the invitational group so yea gonna be good!!!!