POLICE PRESENCE in CENTURION

jagwil

I read the post about the bike-jacking this morning and immediately called the station commander at Lyttleton Police Station. He confirmed that he had already been contacted by the victim. (I had sent him (the victim) a PM with the phone number)

To get to the point of this post : I mentioned to the station commander ( S.C.) that I had seen an insert on T.V. this week relating to 2 policemen who had been patrolling the Braamfontein Spruit for a number of months now. The number  incidents on the Spruit has dropped drastically as a result. In the insert it was mentioned that a number of bicycle shops in the area had sponsored them with shirts, pants, shoes and helmets. 

The S.C. said that Momentum had made a number of ( he said 30?)  mountain bikes available to them and that he just had to go and fetch them.

I said I would contact some of the Bicycle Shops in the area to find out if they would be prepared to do the same (Has to be good for business for them) I WILL do this over the course of the next few days.Thought of CYCLELAB, GRANTS, EPIC CYCLES and FRITZ PIENAAR. Maybe also BRUCE REYNEKE. 

If anyone has any other ideas or would be prepared to get involved PLEASE contact me.

I think that we NEED to start some form of INITIAVE particularly in the Centurion area to try to keep the cycling there reasonably safe.

P.S. I don't live in Centurion but in Lydiana. (Pretoria East) I do most of my cycling in Centurion.   

(he said 30 ?) 

The question mark was intentional. I am not sure I heard him correctly. I might have been mistaken.

Only signed in now to see the latest tread. I think a lot of people are still taken up with some other things, Carnival city, morning rides.

I stay in Centurion and if I didn't have a cold would've been on that same route. I really think we should do something. We can't let these idiots intimidate us into not riding! I have said this before and will say it again, if the police needs bait, they can wire me and I will go out cycling so we can catch these bastards. I am self employed and do have a bit of time on my hands from time to time. Anybody else to join! Jagwil, PM that number to me to please!

And oh yes, to the respondents so far, 3 bikes, 30 bikes, who cares, IT IS A BEGINNING!!! We sit back to easily and wait for some other fool to do something. Get of your chair and make yourself usefull.Schwynn2009-02-22 02:48:24

IMHO:

This is a^&*%ing waste of time. Give 30 bikes to the police station where

no one knows how to, or even wants to use them and they will be stolen

or broken within a couple of months.

Rather identify one or two guys who are interested (like at Randburg), give

them two bikes, kit and spares with a maintenance plan. You can follow up

on this vai the CPF or Station Commissioner and they will actually provide

something for the sponsorship.

It's a nice idea, but totally misguided and a complete waste of money,

Our police station was given 10 computers by the community to train

the members. The members were not interested and mostly did not

pitch for the organised (free) training sessions. Then the computers were

stolen (from INSIDE the station!!!). End of that initiative....

I disagree with you on this one. This is NOT a TOTAL waste of time.

My discussions with the S.C. have been along the lines of what is being done in Randburg , namely to identify between 2 and 4 policemen in the area who are capable and interested. The idea would then be to elicit the assistance of a number of the cycle shops in the area to contribute towards kitting them out.

I would also make contact with the Randburg guys who have indicated that they would be more than willing to assist in the setting up of such a group.

ANY BETTER IDEAS ????

If so get in touch and get involved.

I disagree with you on this one. This is NOT a TOTAL waste of time.

My discussions with the S.C. have been along the lines of what is being done in Randburg , namely to identify between 2 and 4 policemen in the area who are capable and interested. The idea would then be to elicit the assistance of a number of the cycle shops in the area to contribute towards kitting them out.

I would also make contact with the Randburg guys who have indicated that they would be more than willing to assist in the setting up of such a group.

That's exactly what I stated you need to do! Read the rest of my post. You are

doing exactly what I recommended you do. Giving the guys bikes is useless.

They need to be selected, trained, monitored, supported, ...

What is a total waste of time is to give the guys 30 bikes as per the original post.

Again - read my post!

ANY BETTER IDEAS ????

If so get in touch and get involved.

Nope - you're doing what I would suggest you do.

I am involved. My station handles the Emmarentia/Delta Park area of the spruit

and we already patrol on bikes (both pedal and motor). We also do foot patrols

from time to time.

jmaccelari2009-02-22 08:31:46

Hey., that is what I have been doing all along. The S.C.  merely said that Momentum had made the bikes available. There is and was never any intention of trying to get 30 policemen/policewomen out there on bikes!

Hi, I am available for anything to assist in the Centurion area. I do not own firearms, so I will leave the shooting for the police. I will act as bait or assit in group patrols or whatever someone else can organise. I am out of the country at times, so not always available, but when I am there I would love to help. Thanks Jagwil. I know you are doing a lot about the situation. Thank Schwynn, we might ride together as bait one of these days! smiley32.gif

Jagwil,

I am also available to help where I can.  Also do not have anything more than a 'kettie', so I will follow the KGB, aka the Russian's example... :-)

• 4 weeks later...

You think Frits Pienaar Cycles and Cycle Lab will support an initiative from The Hub after they've been branded as criminals and their name dragged through the mud on this forum?

I think it'll be best if you say its a private initiative when approaching them

Thought of CYCLELAB' date=' GRANTS, EPIC CYCLES and FRITZ PIENAAR. Maybe also BRUCE REYNEKE. 

[/quote']

Good thinking... CL and FP need all the positive PR they can generate just at the momentWink

Jagwil, how will being involved be good business for the bike shops and what will they get out of it? How can someone like me help?

PS: what is "INITIAVE"?

I think that we NEED to start some form of INITIAVE particularly in the Centurion area to try to keep the cycling there reasonably safe.

Take the 30 bikes and hand it to the thieves/hijackers - will stop that for a while... LOL

Good luck ppl- nowadays one dont really get the support for stuff like this, specially from the police