People Against Lawless Taxis

markStockton

can the metro do anything about it? how often do you read stories about taxi drivers firing on metro cops? the sheer numbers of taxis make the industry impossible to police.

The police and government have allowed the taxi industry to tie them over a barrel. Think CT taxi strikes' date=' where the taxis are proud that they can bring the city to a 'standstill' by burning buses and threatening anyone who dares to use any other form of transport.

What needs to happen is for the govt and cops to show that they're not taking sh!t from these guys. Full riot gear, army (if we still have one), all of it. Sure, they may have some initial resistance, but the taxis will realise son enough that anything illegal will be punished.

Than again, the same can be said for the average SA motorist...[/quote']

What ! get Metro cops to do anything ? Last year the JhB Metro cops practically hijacked the centre of the city blocking highways, even shooting at the real cops. Discpilinary action taken to date. NIL.
scotty2009-02-24 02:43:06

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can the metro do anything about it? how often do you read stories about taxi drivers firing on metro cops? the sheer numbers of taxis make the industry impossible to police.

Hi HR - I disagree.

If there was the political will' date=' they could get on top of the problem but taxis are pretty much organised crime and I'm sure influential people stop a concerted effort being made to bring the industry into line.

I'm not usually into these conspiracy theories but it is clear that the state does not tackle this lawlessness nor the direct confrontations the taxi industry make with the state.

They have the means but not the will, why?

[/quote']

lowly, i think you have expanded my thought, rather than contradict it. i totally agree with you. every year, manuel makes more and more money available to the police services, but it is the lack of will, as you say, to actually manage these resources that leaves us with poor results. 

pauvs - horror of horrors i am forced to agree 100% with BtB/TNT's comment AND tone of it. without TB bikers cycling would be a LOT worse for wear - TB bikers are teh ones who give up their time and spend their money on wear and tear on their bikes to make cycling races safer.

TB are looking into trying to organise some stuff. i have just been offline for an hour or so so i'm busy catching up and i will post links, etc as soon as i've caught up on what's going for what.

oh, paulvs - you're welcome not to participate and support people who are trying to make things better for everyone.

The police and government have allowed the taxi industry to tie them over a barrel. Think CT taxi strikes' date=' where the taxis are proud that they can bring the city to a 'standstill' by burning buses and threatening anyone who dares to use any other form of transport. What needs to happen is for the govt and cops to show that they're not taking sh!t from these guys. Full riot gear, army (if we still have one), all of it. Sure, they may have some initial resistance, but the taxis will realise son enough that anything illegal will be punished. Than again, the same can be said for the average SA motorist...[/quote']

?

What ! get Metro cops to do anything ? Last year the JhB Metro cops practically hijacked the centre of the city blocking highways, even shooting at the real cops. Discpilinary action taken to date. NIL.

Cut to CT last year, same thing - blockading the N1 with MUNICIPAL FLIPPEN PATROL VEHICLES! And then striking cos our lovely mayor fired or suspended them.

But hey, at least we don't have Mad Bob II (Mcbride)

If there was the political will' date=' they could get on top of the problem but taxis are pretty much organised crime and I'm sure influential people stop a concerted effort being made to bring the industry into line.

I'm not usually into these conspiracy theories but it is clear that the state does not tackle this lawlessness nor the direct confrontations the taxi industry make with the state.

They have the means but not the will, why? 
[/quote']

Becasue the snippets of conspiracy theory that I heard over the weekend: Some cops own taxis and therefore have an interest in the industry (or are part of the organised crime)

Lawless taxis are becoming a problem that is too big to be fixed. The competition between them to get fares results in them racing each other and seeing all traffic as obstacles.

I wonder how many of them pay tax?

ok, i've asked ewep to keep you lot informed - he's organising a petition etc so he's going to be more "on top of things" than me.

in all honesty - I don't have much time for bikers as they do just as they please on the roads... Thumbs%20Down

I'm also not referring to the above incident but actual people riding with thinkbike jackets!!! FK

Nice generalization.

In all honesty - I don't have much time for cyclists who ride like they own the road.

I'm also not referring to past incidents of cyclists getting knocked off but actual ones still riding their bikes.

Ek het nooit besef die Wielnaaf se eie gromgat is ook 'n ducktail motorfiets ryer nie!!!!!!!
Big H2009-02-24 03:19:57

Nothing is impossible? <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Next time it could be someone you know?.

This might be a stronger case with the Soccer World Cup on our doorstep?.they might actually do something before the 3 million tourists get here..

Yes the Taxo Organisations will definitely get their act together before 2010WC. They will devise ways and means to rob the 3 million tourists even more efficiently!!!!!!! ...... and our lame Government will do nothing as they themselves are shareholders in the taxi industry!!!!!

ok' date=' i've asked ewep to keep you lot informed - he's organising a petition etc so he's going to be more "on top of things" than me.[/quote']

So things will be squashed flat will they?

pauvs - horror of horrors i am forced to agree 100% with BtB/TNT's comment AND tone of it. without TB bikers cycling would be a LOT worse for wear - TB bikers are teh ones who give up their time and spend their money on wear and tear on their bikes to make cycling races safer.

TB are looking into trying to organise some stuff. i have just been offline for an hour or so so i'm busy catching up and i will post links' date=' etc as soon as i've caught up on what's going for what.

oh, paulvs - you're welcome not to participate and support people who are trying to make things better for everyone.
[/quote']

Moet nou assblief nie weer jou gaai wip vir iemand wat julle klomp ducktails kritiseer nie....... net soos in fietsry gaan jy individiee hier kry wat uithaak en die wet oortree. Jy kan maar kla en kerm en verdedig net soos jy wil...... dit SAL gebeur en Paul het dit heel moontlik raakgesien. Julle mensies is nie almal NET heiliges soos Moeder T wat fietsry wil beskerm nie!!!!!!!

ok' date=' i've asked ewep to keep you lot informed - he's organising a petition etc so he's going to be more "on top of things" than me.[/quote']

So things will be squashed flat will they?

just ironed out

My tuppence:

Taxis are an unfortunate necessity. 90 (95?) percent of the

population rely on them for transport.

The problem is that they are a hugely influential mafia. They

are thugs and police are involved. The government is also

scared of them as they don't have the balls to face up to the

taxi associations. It's also a lot more complex as they do

assassinate people on a regular basis (look at KZN...), hold

"protests" (look at CT...), and so on... .So we have a government

that has neither the courage nor the will to tackle them...

The average commuter cannot also take them on. If they cause any

"trouble", there's 20 taxi operators and their muscle beating the

@#$% out of them... I have found taxi drivers are bullies. They

think they can treat you like $%^# and threaten you until they see

you pulling out a Sect 56. Then they're your best buddies...

As for the traffic police, taxis are one facet of the problem. Most

Metro police are not interested in monitoring moving violations.

They prefer to book on and sit under a tree with a camera or

else spend the time with 20 of their colleagues at the local

McDonalds. It is an indictment of the political appointment of people

not interested in the job (e.g. Robert McBride) and has led to

a severe degradation of the work ethic. Again, this is a lot more

complex.

So the issue is a lot more complex than just taxis and police. It's

the entire political situation that has forced this upon us. We have

a government that doesn't give a damn about doing a decent job,

so why should the government employees? They take their cue from

their gravy train bosses (look at the VIP blue light road hogs).

in all honesty - I don't have much time for bikers as they do just as they please on the roads... Thumbs%20Down

I'm also not referring to the above incident but actual people riding with thinkbike jackets!!! FK

In all honesty I don't have ANY time for people like you who make general statement like this. The thread is not about what you like, or dislike, but about ideas on how to help better the situation with taxis.