Unicycle Power Gliding

JohnnyReggae

Unicycle Gliding is an advanced skill and is the unicycling version of free-wheeling and basically entails taking your feet off the pedals and allowing gravity to propel you.

Arne Tilgen who is an excellent unicycle rider from Germany who is currently in the country did some Power Gliding over the weekend on the very quiet road past the Cable Way on the side on Table Mountain.

He posted some stuff to his blog about it. The link is a translated version (originally in German) so the text may not make complete sense.

Some photos from the ride:

20090224_034731_power.jpg

20090224_034932_power2.jpg

Even for unicycling, Thats pretty mental. You obviously have mush less control over your foward balance. I think I've seen you at Tokai a couple of times on the singletrack, I was quite taken aback to know that such a sport as MTB unicycling exists!

Even for unicycling' date=' Thats pretty mental.[/quote']

Agree with you totally !! Smile I think it's insane, but that's probably because it's a "higher-grade" skill which I haven't gotten close to yet Smile One day perhaps......

I think I've seen you

at Tokai a couple of times on the singletrack' date=' I was quite taken aback

to know that such a sport as MTB unicycling exists!

[/quote']

We're slowly getting more recognition. In Canada, The States, and Europe it's getting a lot larger as a sport.

On the weekend, Team OddWheel in JHB did the Subaru Sabie Classic on Uni's. A few of us are doing the Argus MTB Challenge this coming weekend.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/pillepalle.gif

LOLLOL

For the life of me I cannot think of one good reason why!

I mean reallyOuch

For the life of me I cannot think of one good reason why!

I mean reallyOuch

Does one really need a reason? LOL

They've become a familiar and friendly site in tokai.

On saturday I saw there was some girls in the group and i was like.. jirrah bru, they've convinced some crazee chicks to come join them. and they weren't just for show either.

stopped to say howzit on the way down...and once we got chatting, it was quite obvious that these girls were not local.

much respect

What drugs do you guys take?

Why .. ? What you selling ? Smile

Figures, to do that crazy ****, you okes will smoke seaweed soaked in meths....

TNT12009-02-26 06:52:52

On saturday I saw there was some girls in the group and i was like.. jirrah bru' date=' they've convinced some crazee chicks to come join them. and they weren't just for show either.

stopped to say howzit on the way down...and once we got chatting, it was quite obvious that these girls were not local.

much respect

[/quote']

Linda is from Germany, over here at the moment with Arne. She rode from Cape Town to Durban on a MTB recently.

Jane is also German, but is a Cape Town local and is studying at a local Varsity.

Soon you'll blink and only see Uni's in the forest Smile

What distance you guys doing?

We'll be riding the 26km.

do these things have 'back-pedal brakes'??

Nope. It is a fixie, set in 1:1 gearing ratio ie: no gearing. What that means for us, is that to brake or slow down, we need to apply backpressure whilst we pedal. I am running a brake on my 29er, but it is used as a drag brake to take some pressure off the knees on the long downhills. I don't use it to stop suddenly, as I would faceplant painfullyDead JReggae doesn't run a brake at all.

On saturday?I saw there was some girls in the group and i was like.. jirrah bru' date=' they've convinced some crazee chicks to come join them. and they weren't just for show either.

?

?

much respect

?
[/quote']Linda is from Germany, over here at the moment with Arne. She rode from Cape Town to Durban on a MTB recently.Jane is also German, but is a Cape Town local and is studying at a local Varsity.Soon you'll blink and only see Uni's in the forest Smile

they aren't with a couple of german guys are they? the guys me and hog saw at the bike park?