exorbitant racefees that leave you breathless

leons

I might have sabotaged myself there, my apologies to all who feel offended.

I would also like to take the time to thank all involved for taking the thread off topic and making it about something it was never intended to be. A thread name change was always just a PM away.

leons2009-03-13 12:22:25

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ag come now...dont be babies, Yes its a little harsh but dont pretend were all in a bubble where no one ever sais anything out of line (which im not sure this is).

The latest thing the kids are saying is "wow, that was sick" when they mean "that was awsome".

The hub is no sacred place and we all adult enough to see the guys point as the initial point was made about a 9km race that was held in a regularly "parksboard"serviced reserve that cost R145.

I see that could be at least 2 of the above that Agretoss so nicely posted for us. Thanks AgterosThumbs%20Up

Good evening.Wink

Why the penalty of R20 in any case? What additional costs do they have to cover by somebody entering 'on the line' vs somebody entering on-line?

they charge you for the labor to write your name down instead being printed

Right..... So' date=' human, pen and paper costs more than human, computer, printer, ink and paper - oh and a legal copy of MS-Access/Excel or whatever to store this info in?

Me thinks NOT!
[/quote']

Number of entrants drive so many factors for an event.

To know before hand how many riders you will have on the day helps organisers a lot.

So it makes sense to encourage people to pre-enter.

I am not a cycling event organiser, but have helped with some on a volunteer basis. Once you get involved on the organising side of almost any activity, you realise that there is much more to it than meets the eye.

Have any of you organised anything that involved more than 10 participants?

I agree that some events are expensive, but most events do not generate big revenue. Some generate a lot of publicity though, which is often worth more than the money earned.

Guest Agteros

Why the penalty of R20 in any case? What additional costs do they have to cover by somebody entering 'on the line' vs somebody entering on-line?

they charge you for the labor to write your name down instead being printed

Right..... So' date=' human, pen and paper costs more than human, computer, printer, ink and paper - oh and a legal copy of MS-Access/Excel or whatever to store this info in?

Me thinks NOT!
[/quote']

To know before hand how many riders you will have on the day helps organisers a lot.

I am not a cycling event organiser, but have helped with some on a volunteer basis. Once you get involved on the organising side of almost any activity, you realise that there is much more to it than meets the eye.

I agree that some events are expensive, but most events do not generate big revenue. Some generate a lot of publicity though, which is often worth more than the money earned.

And these costs are applicable only to the late entrants? Forget the R20 in the above real life example.. think about the principles

No denying that there are a lot of costs and effort involved with a race, but still no need to rip people off...

Guest Agteros

Agteros' date=' did you read the first line of my post?

[/quote']

they charge you for the labor to write your name d instead being printed

Me thinks NOT!
[/quote']

So, more entrants make the event more expensive? Are they applying the reverse of the airplane seat pricing principle, and if so why?

imagine paying for a entry ...18k+ then you are informed your partner has been injured and he cant compete...WELL lets enter another person as a team then they tell sorry bud..you missed the cutoff for changes ...please pay another 8.4k wtf ! Confused

Sounds like Epic strategy.....

I always tried to use rule of 1km = R1, but clearly that does not work anymore.CryCry

Right so now I know you cannot always compare boerewors to Lindt chocolate but I still reckon that races in SA are reasonably priced.

Here follows a price list for some 2009 swiss mtb races

XC lap race (with major sponsor)

Chf 25 (R216) ? Kids' date=' +/- 12 / 16km

Chf 40 (R347) - Fun (no license), +/- 20km

Chf 40 (R347) ? Licensed, +/- 40km

+Chf 15 (R130) for late entries

1 day Marathon (with major sponsor)

Chf 100 (R 867) ? All categories and distances (105 km / 4400m or 75km 3000m)

[/quote']

yeah swissvan, thats what it will cost ME to enter swiss races, but if i were to saty and earn in europe or switzerland for that matter, it would be a total different story

what you are actually saying is that we only need to pay R40 for races here!!!!!

Hope you are not really that dumb.

Exchange rates.

1 USD 10 Rand

1 EUR 13 Rand

ok that is true but what you seem to think is that the amounts are the same. Get over that!! SA income 10000 a month many will make that.

Know that y oung european people earn just over 1000 euro's 1500 up to 2000 with a good education.

you seem to think that if one earns 10000 rand in Sa a similar swiss oke will get 10000CHF, please get real.

Have lived in Europe and Africa worked in both.

Say Europe is about 35 to 45% more expensive to live. Well educated people with a decent Sa job are considerably better of then their european counterpart in what they can do with their salary.

Get over feeling sorry for yourself. Average Sa Joe has a maid/gardener, for most europeans that is unaffordable maybe for a few hours a week but not longer as the maid will cost almost half or more of what you earn yourself.

Agteros' date=' did you read the first line of my post?

[/quote']

they charge you for the labor to write your name d instead being printed

Me thinks NOT!
[/quote']

So, more entrants make the event more expensive? Are they applying the reverse of the airplane seat pricing principle, and if so why?

Dude late netrants are alot of hassle.

Its extra work on race day: more staff needed more cost.

But more importantly you can't plan correctly.

Example only pre entry 1500 people you set up for 1500 no hassle.

No pre entry how many are gonna show up you can only guess.

Say between 1000 and 2000 this means that you need to organize a venue, people food drinks to cater for 2000. While maybe only 1200 or no 600(bad weather) show up, you incure a lot of costs.

And yeah you need to overstock want if one doesn't get his medal or coke he will bitch and moan 10 pages on the hub.

A single late entrant is not the problem its just that not knowing how many to cater for makes it a lot more complicated and expensive.

I have simplified this can fill 5 pages if you really want.

As a rider I love late entries or on the day. It sucks as a European to come to SA and have to start at the back cos you aren't seeded or enterred late cos you didn't know when you would be in the country. Though from organizing point of view being able to prepare this things in advance makes it a lot les complicated. 

You can all say what you want, fact is cyclists are getting screwed, full stop but especially in comparison to runners.  For some reason when anyone sees a cyclist they see dollars.Angry

I am not a runner (never been, never will be), but AFAIK many of the "smaller" running events are still organised by the various running clubs and the members of the hosting club do most of the work on a VOLUNTEER basis.

Unfortunately cyclists do not have the same commitment to their sport.

Most people involved with cycling events are paid, thus pushing up the cost.

i want to run a few mtb races on 10km laps in stellenbosch, what is fair entry fee? you will get finish position and time, prizes, nice time like in the early 90's

i want to run a few mtb races on 10km laps in stellenbosch' date=' what is fair entry fee? you will get finish position and time, prizes, nice time like in the early 90's[/quote']

For something like that I would be willing to pay between R75,00 and a R100,00 depending on the distance of the race. No extra fees for late entry would be an added bonus.