Have bikecomponents really Increased this much????

wannabesub3

TNT1

I can't answer your queries regarding motorbikes... Sorry... But I have been a part of the cycling industry for the last 5 1/2 years, retail AND wholesale. I know how it all works. The only reason I am currently NOT in the cycling industry, is because I was retrenched a week ago, because the cycling side of the company I was with has taken SUCH a HUGE dip in the last year!!

I have seen dollar COSTS soar in that period!!! So quit having a dig at the bike shops and local distributors for having ridiculous prices. They are only making their regular mark ups!! A great example is a certain bike model that I used to sell. 2008, was retailing at R9 000 (roughly), no change in mark up from local importer or retailer... BANG R13 999 for the 2009 model.

Quit blaming everything on "price fixing", as far as I am aware, nothing was ever even implemented!!

I am not making a bunch of unfounded claims OR airing my assumptions like a LOT of other people are doing... I am telling you what I know.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, whatever. It all smells like a great big turd. Your justification, this not so secret meeting, the competition com getting involved... You know that saying about where there is smoke?

Anyway, it's like in december, I went to the local spar to buy some viennas. I see they where around R45-50 for a kilo packet of them (from all the manufacturers). Now in the previous months, they where in the region of R20-25 a kilo packet.

So I get home (I don't buy them) and get hold of the manufacturers website, fill in the contact us form and wait. Two days later some poor woman from there phones me and has the audacity to tell me the price has gone up because they import the raw materials to make viennas, and its cause of the rand/dollar exchange rate. Yeah, right. They import pig lips and intestines to make viennas (remember, I like viennas, and I know what goes into them)? So anyway, I told her not to insult me, and phone me back when she had a better story. A few days go by and a head of marketing or whatever from them phones me, and spins some BS that the previous lower price was a special price. WTF? A special price applicable to all manufacturers and across all store? Sounds like price fixing to me...

Anyway, I guess I wasn't the only one to smell something rotten. Just the other day I hear on the radio about some investigation into the prices of foodstuffs and so on...

Guess what, a kilo of viennas is back inthe R20's again... Go figure.

Nice one though big guy....

Have fun now sheeples.

The dude lost his job and your remark is, 

Cool' date=' whatever. [/quote'].

What the woman told you was probably not that far off.  Import was probably done due to the lack of pigs locally.  A year to two ago the producers were really struggling to get their hands on local pigs and I doubt it has changed (staple SA diet and no farmer just doubles his pig supply).  So before dismissing it, get some facts about an industry you obviously know F all about.  Also, just coz the brand differs, doesn't mean it is a different supplier/producer.

Rather bring some facts to the discussion instead of your normal pissie assumptions and conspiracy theories.

But back to these insanely overinflated "fixed" prices on bikes and components.

Lets rather stick to bicycles, have a friend that's a butcher and the stories he tells me about the meat industry is frightening. 

Shocked Right so here's the deal, approached the shop, and was given the same ol, same ol, exchange rate, fuel prices(funny last I looked Diesel had become a lot cheaper..............most companies use diesel vehicles to deliver I'm sure) anyway not happy that the matter is being discussed on the hub, and offered it to me at R1000-00 take it or leave it, so still more expensive than Coolheat suggested retail.

So I left it, just hope they dont sucker some poor unsespecting individual into buying it

Right so now that we have that one out the way who can suggest a bike shop South of Jhb that may actually be interested in getting customers into there store as apposed to alienating us

may i never shop in the Westrand again!!!!!!!

Cool' date=' whatever. It all smells like a great big turd. Your justification, this not so secret meeting, the competition com getting involved... You know that saying about where there is smoke?

Anyway, it's like in december, I went to the local spar to buy some viennas. I see they where around R45-50 for a kilo packet of them (from all the manufacturers). Now in the previous months, they where in the region of R20-25 a kilo packet.

So I get home (I don't buy them) and get hold of the manufacturers website, fill in the contact us form and wait. Two days later some poor woman from there phones me and has the audacity to tell me the price has gone up because they import the raw materials to make viennas, and its cause of the rand/dollar exchange rate. Yeah, right. They import pig lips and intestines to make viennas (remember, I like viennas, and I know what goes into them)? So anyway, I told her not to insult me, and phone me back when she had a better story. A few days go by and a head of marketing or whatever from them phones me, and spins some BS that the previous lower price was a special price. WTF? A special price applicable to all manufacturers and across all store? Sounds like price fixing to me...

Anyway, I guess I wasn't the only one to smell something rotten. Just the other day I hear on the radio about some investigation into the prices of foodstuffs and so on...

Guess what, a kilo of viennas is back inthe R20's again... Go figure.

Nice one though big guy....

Have fun now sheeples.
[/quote']

HOORAY!!!

VIENNA LOVERS ALL OVER SOUTH AFRICA ARE REVOLTING

Cool' date=' whatever. It all smells like a great big turd. Your justification, this not so secret meeting, the competition com getting involved... You know that saying about where there is smoke? [/quote']

There is usually a Rastafarian..?

20090316_105315_smiley_rasta.gif

I'm giving up on local retailers (so are all my mates).  I'd sugest you buy online. PM me if you need links.

Case in point: ( Howzit "H" I 'm looking for a double chain ring tensioner to replace my Single C.R.T.).

Response: Durhh Ahhhh Erhhhh " Let me make a call"

Truth is bud: Your local bike shop employs a bunch of snot noses!

My policy is: if you know what you want, buy it over the Web from the UK.

Right so now that we have that one out the way who can suggest a bike shop South of Jhb that may actually be interested in getting customers into there store as apposed to alienating us

may i never shop in the Westrand again!!!!!!!

How far Souf you wanna go?

i think you need to shop around a little more, true , guys are cashing in on the recession.

Thats how retail business goes...!! 

You said westrand??? I know a bike dealer there but I promise you he aint charging those prices. In fact he stocked up last year on specific items before the dollar/rand went mad, he could probably help u.

Its in Randgate.

I'm giving up on local retailers (so are all my mates).  I'd sugest you buy online. PM me if you need links.

Case in point: ( Howzit "H" I 'm looking for a double chain ring tensioner to replace my Single C.R.T.).

My policy is: if you know what you want' date=' buy it over the Web from the UK.

[/quote']

Probably right you know!!!!! wonder if it's the same with some of the bike mechanics you get out there, maybe I'm just way particular as to how I want things done on my bike, you know the normal things like cables being the exact length left and right, cable ends cuts the same all round the bike, bar tape put on properly, proper lube jobs, getting a really clean bike bike etc........

Interview probably goes like this

Pietfiets...(Bike Shop Owner)"do you know what a spanner are?

bakkies BMX.....(potential Mechanic)"ja it's the oukie what rides in the B bunch"

Pietfiets....."congrats you got the job"

Not having a dig at B bunch riders, so please dont grill me, just sometimes the staff in the shops know less than we do, my best is when you ask for a product and get told it's discontinued, only to find that it still appears in the 2009 ctalogue, ask them and suddenly you have to wait six to eight weeks for a delivery, WOWClap, like many of you said order Online and get it within a week or so, be interesting to find out how many people have actually started buying online as a result of this.

My policy is: if you know what you want' date=' buy it over the Web from the UK.

[/quote']

Probably right you know!!!!! wonder if it's the same with some of the bike mechanics you get out there, maybe I'm just way particular as to how I want things done on my bike, you know the normal things like cables being the exact length left and right, cable ends cuts the same all round the bike, bar tape put on properly, proper lube jobs, getting a really clean bike bike etc........

Interview probably goes like this

Pietfiets...(Bike Shop Owner)"do you know what a spanner are?

bakkies BMX.....(potential Mechanic)"ja it's the oukie what rides in the B bunch"

Pietfiets....."congrats you got the job"

Not having a dig at B bunch riders, so please dont grill me, just sometimes the staff in the shops know less than we do, my best is when you ask for a product and get told it's discontinued, only to find that it still appears in the 2009 ctalogue, ask them and suddenly you have to wait six to eight weeks for a delivery, WOWClap, like many of you said order Online and get it within a week or so, be interesting to find out how many people have actually started buying online as a result of this.

wannabesub3, in the time is has taken you to start this topic and complain about the local retail market, you could have ordered your product from an online store (no doubt at a much cheaper price), had it delivered to your door and done a bike mechanic course so you that you never ever have to set foot in a bike shop again...

Sean Badenhorst2009-03-18 10:17:03