Shimano Dura ace wheels

Bellscycling

Hy my front dura ace wheel is cracked. Unfortunately coolheat doesn't bring in the 7800 model anymore and I have to replace the rim with the 7801 sl model. Would the same spokes work on the new rim?

My WHR-600 (Ultegra) back rim also cracked a few months ago - I just made the 2 year replacement warrantee and got a new one...

See you at Panorama Gawie?? - replace ur gear cables so long Wink

JB should know or be able to find out!

Check http://www.yellowsaddle.co.za/ for his details

My WHR-600 (Ultegra) back rim also cracked a few months ago - I just made the 2 year replacement warrantee and got a new one...

See you at Panorama Gawie?? - replace ur gear cables so long Wink

JB should know or be able to find out!

Check http://www.yellowsaddle.co.za/ for his details

I've had the wheels too long....Cry

Yes I'll be seeing you at the panorama! and I somme replaced the howl bike!

These rims and spokes will not work because as far as i know the spokes are attached in a different manner on both wheels

the 7800 model have the nipple on the hub if i am not mistaken?? while the 7801sl have the nipple on the rim therefore making them incompatible

my suggestion would be to try locate someone tha thas a cheap set of 7800's or just ask cool heat if they have any other comatible rim possibly the 6600 or 5600???

gawenator even if they do bring in new rims they wont be compatible with your wheelset because if you take a look at the link you sent look at the exploded diagrams that you can get off there it will show you how the spokes fit into the rim and into the hub

on your set of wheels they show that your nipples attach on the hub and that is how your wheel is trued

where as the rim that they have offeren you is trued by means of the traditional way at the rim and then threaded into the hub by means of little threads in the hub

there is no physical way to make either of the wheels compatible with each other and even if there was you would have a seriuosly weak wheel set that would break more often than you would be able to ride them

Sal jou leer om Shimano te ry.....Tongue

Moet se dis baie lekker wiele... behalwe vir die kraak in die voorwiel...en ek geniet die campag op my nuwe bike ookThumbs%20Up

I dont' see a difference between the two rims. From the diagrams, both have nipples at the hub and lugs inside the rim.

I can't see the part number of the one rim, so can't compare. But construction method is exactly the same.

Gawenator, the only way to find out is to match the number of spokes and the ERD - Effective Rim Diameter.  Ask your supplier to get those two bits of info for you and then you'll be sure.

I've repaired a few of those wheels - don't have a clue if they were 7800 or 7801s, but the rims were expensive. Unfortunately the design is flawed. The nipples and lugs weigh the same, so why bother putting nipples at the hub where it is difficult to work on. Further, the un-reinforced holes combined with anodising ensures these rims, are like Greatwhite here on the Hub so aptly puts it, are "sacrificial parts" designed for racing once or twice to church on a Sunday morning and then throw away.

Edit: Just had a look at the diagrams again. The spoke lengths are listed. They're not the same, therefore the rims are not the same - or the hub has changed.

I suggest you print the two documents and compare part number, spoke lengths etc.

Johan Bornman2009-03-26 11:21:03

I dont' see a difference between the two rims. From the diagrams' date=' both have nipples at the hub and lugs inside the rim.

I can't see the part number of the one rim, so can't compare. But construction method is exactly the same.

?

Gawenator, the only way to find out is to match the number of spokes and the ERD - Effective Rim Diameter.? Ask your supplier to get those two bits of info for you and then you'll be sure.

I've repaired a few of those wheels - don't have a clue if they were 7800 or 7801s, but the rims were expensive. Unfortunately the design is flawed. The nipples and lugs weigh the same, so why bother putting nipples at the hub where it is difficult to work on. Further, the un-reinforced holes combined with anodising ensures these rims, are like Greatwhite here on the Hub so aptly puts it, are "sacrificial parts" designed for racing once or twice to church on a Sunday morning and then throw away.

Edit: Just had a look at the diagrams again. The spoke lengths are listed. They're not the same, therefore the rims are not the same - or the hub has changed.

?

I suggest you print the two documents and compare part number, spoke lengths etc.

?
[/quote']

Johan When you read gawenators post again please make the corecct changes to your post above!!!

As he stated that cool heat only have the 7801 SL it means that the rims and spokes are incompatible

you are correct in saying that the 7800 and the 7801 are very similar in design but seeing as they only have the sl version it means that there is a complete different design in the two rims that he has asked for advice on...

instead of making sure that you have to have the last say on every tech Q&A posted here on the hub please make sure that you read the facts and accept that the answer has already been posted before you could get here

....................instead of making sure that you have to have the last say on every tech Q&A posted here on the hub please make sure that you read the facts and accept that the answer has already been posted before you could get here

Bit harsh don't you think, since JB was asked to comment.