Best night for a night ride

Canaris

What night is best to organise a night ride for?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What night is best to organise a night ride for?

• Monday/ tuesday
    • wednesday
    • thursday
    • Friday
    • Saterday

I really want to do some night rides but I'm curious. Are there no concerns regarding safety on night rides on 'open' roads? I mean riding in the dark through veld seems a bit dodgy to me. 

It probably is a bit of a risk. 

They normally ride in a fairly large group with radio contact between the front and back riders and always a "sweep" rider or two so that the group does not get too spread out.

I really want to do some night rides but I'm curious. Are there no concerns regarding safety on night rides on 'open' roads? I mean riding in the dark through veld seems a bit dodgy to me. 

They normally ride in a fairly large group with radio contact between the front and back riders and always a "sweep" rider or two so that the group does not get too spread out.

and hardy often carries a base ball bat sticking out of his backpack.

in four years there was only one incident.

• 1 month later...

I am loathe to say this but it is good advice the whole radio contact thing as we lost a rider last night in our bunch of 12. We all bolted across a road and 1 rider had to wait for 3-4 vehicles and by the time he got across the road the bunch was a small spec in the distance. If we had radio's with us it would have been no problem. he tried to chase us down for about 10 kays before someone realised we where a rider short. Had to send a search party back.OuchCry

It was a disaster for him for the rest of the ride. Clearly we have to rethink our rules and how to handle these rides. Please some positive feedback on how you exprerienced guys do this group ride thing at night.

I shudder to think what could of happened.Dead
Dirty Twin2009-05-27 03:08:32

I am loathe to say this but it is good advice the whole radio contact thing as we lost a rider last night in our bunch of 12. We all bolted across a road and 1 rider had to wait for 3-4 vehicles and by the time he got across the road the bunch was a small spec in the distance. If we had radio's with us it would have been no problem. he tried to chase us down for about 10 kays before someone realised we where a rider short. Had to send a search party back.OuchCry

It was a disaster for him for the rest of the ride. Clearly we have to rethink our rules and how to handle these rides. Please some positive feedback on how you exprerienced guys do this group ride thing at night.

dirty, the D&D crowd always has a sweeper as well, and at the end of every 'speed zone' or downhill or piece of singletrack, the leader waits for the sweeper before they continue. I kep going back to their rides because i know that i will not be left behind.

dirty' date=' the D&D crowd always has a sweeper as well, and at the end of every 'speed zone' or downhill or piece of singletrack, the leader waits for the sweeper before they continue. I kep going back to their rides because i know that i will not be left behind.
[/quote']

I agree cat-i. I always felt comfortable in the knowledge that, if anything ever happened, the group remained a group and never became split up. If there was an incident, such as a flat tyre, everyone waited until it was repaired. No-one went off alone. D&D was/is well organised. 
jagwil2009-05-27 12:31:39