Bicycling

Jaco-fiets

I had a call from Bicycling late last week informing me that my subscription will be coming to an end soon. They wanted to know if I wanted to renew subscription.

Luckily I controlled myself and told them in a very cheery voice that I was not going to.

Even with a 35% discount it is still not woth it. I see this month the magazine is down to 96 pages. If I had to speed read the mag I would be finished before I even startDead

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how many editors has bicycling been through in the last few yrs?

Go buy the new Tread magazine and you'll be suitably impressed!!! Wink Nudge Nudge wink wink say no more!!

you cant buy something you already own. ok well maybe you can have two.

but I was wanting to know if the editor has changed again ?

Will tread be exclusively mtb' date=' or will it also have road stuff?

[/quote']

Not sure but post this question again and again until the Tread Team (Badie) answer your question!!!

how many editors has bicycling been through in the last few yrs?

Go buy the new Tread magazine and you'll be suitably impressed!!! Wink Nudge Nudge wink wink say no more!!

you cant buy something you already own. ok well maybe you can have two.

but I was wanting to know if the editor has changed again ?

Will tread be exclusively mtb' date=' or will it also have road stuff?

[/quote']

Not sure but post this question again and again until the Tread Team (Badie) answer your question!!!

he's hugely busy in pmb at the mo', so i'll aswer on his behalf?

yes, it has. michael finch is the new ed of bicycling.

exclusively mtbSmile

holy roller2009-04-06 23:28:43

Oh - and now for something completely different...

?

I've also picked up a worrying trend in the "Ride" magazine... Hasn't happened too often' date=' at least not so much as to have me writing to the editor - but something jarred badly whilst reading a few of their editions of late...

?

Given that I've always had a mind for details in things that I read...?I noticed the following:

?

I cannot regularly afford the UK and USA bike mags when they are released new on to our shelves. So, whenever I have a chance, I pop into Paperweights where,?if you're lucky, you can pick up the same magazines, one or two months old - for btw R10,00 and R25,00, as opposed to R80-R100 new.

?

On 2 occasions over the last year or so, when sitting down for coffee and reading the UK/USA mag cover to cover, and then (coincidentally) the Ride mag directly thereafter - I noticed very similar "letters" written in by the respective "readers" of the magazines, asking for advice.... The one in particular stuck out, since the question by the UK/USA reader was vague to begin with, and the resultant answer [pertaining to heavy riders and their suspension, I think'] was just as vague and unsatisfying... The UK/USA letter?had its weight conversions in pounds Imperial...

?

Lo and behold, in the [then] current Ride magazine - the same letter popped up, this time from?"Anonymous",?virtually verbatim - barring the conversion?from pounds to kilograms...

?

Now, I don't have a problem, per se, if for one month, for whatever reason, insufficient letters were sent in or too few good questions were sent in to fill up the letters' page - and as a result the editors figured they'd take letters from overseas editions,?convert them to RSA conditions, and print them. But I do have a problem if this is not made clear... Why not simply state that the editors came across an interesting question in a fellow magazine and included it on?the local letter page as a matter of interest? Why create the?impression that a local person took the time to write in seeking to have their?question answered? That just doesn't sit right with me...

?

My 2 cents....

?

it makes you think if the bicycles and shoes ever on offer ever get won by real people.

And has anybody noticed that the only winners are those that praise the magazines.

it makes you think if the bicycles and shoes ever on offer ever get won by real people.

And has anybody noticed that the only winners are those that praise the magazines.

don't tell minty, he's still bitter about not getting a pair of shoesWink

Its not the first time that cut and paste articles have appeared in Ride magazine.

I know one person who got a pair of shoes from Bicycling.

Waiting patiently for my Tread to arrive -  I hope it gains popularity and becomes a monthly instead of a quarterly.
splat2009-04-06 23:45:11

Its not the first time that cut and paste articles have appeared in Ride magazine.

I know one person who got a pair of shoes from Bicycling.

Waiting patiently for my Tread to arrive -  I hope it gains popularity and becomes a monthly instead of a quarterly.

in defence of both ride and bicycling in this regard: many journals and periodicals worldwide have syndicated content arrangements, so calling it "copy and paste" is not quite technically correct.

there are stories that appear in independent newspapers' publications that are from other newspapers around the world. some examples: the group can draw from the daily mail and independent in london, and the baltimore sun, washington post, los angeles times, hartford courant, newsday, etc in the states. 

it's a pretty commom practice in the print media. you may even find rival publications within the same market sharing content in goodwill arrangements.

I cancelled my Bicycling mag about a year ago, and have not missed it a bit, a mate showed me the current mag and it was laughable. Thinner than Paris Hilton and more insipid.

Not even worth the reduced discovery fee. I hear via the grapevine that Touchline Media is in the dwang, probably the fallout after the group overstated their circulation numbers to get increased advertising spend.
Foe Fighter2009-04-07 01:46:38

[

I won a pair of addidas sunglasses from Bicycling

These mag's "used to be good" but for some time now I've stopped buying & reading them .... I get no info from it I can use, the same things are explained albeit differently every other issue ----

worth spending money on my fishing publications instead !!!!

"DT"

Yip, I must also confess....I pick up the Bicycling Mag in the Supermarket, showed it to my wife and said "look how crappy this mag has become!!!"........and tossed it back on the rack. That they have no shame in publishing such a crappy mag is above me....look at their mags 2 years ago, much better content and WAY more volume!!!!!

cannot agree more - maybe the downturn has prompted less content on poor quality paper. subscribtion ends june

Then what ???

wow guys - are we reading different magazines? have to disagree as I really like the magazine. where can I get a copy of tread? have looked everywhere but nowhere to be found...

What is even more disturbing is that they are part of the international edition of BICYCLING, thus most of their content is from overseas journalists...copy and paste and add some SA content....I HOPE THEY (Bicycling Editor and his team) READ ALL THIS COMMENTS....I also see that Tim Brink is not the editor anymore....I wonder?????....???? was he maybe demoted because of how the mag has fallen from grace!!!

What is even more disturbing is that they are part of the international edition of BICYCLING' date=' thus most of their content is from overseas journalists...copy and paste and add some SA content....I HOPE THEY (Bicycling Editor and his team) READ ALL THIS COMMENTS....I also see that Tim Brink is not the editor anymore....I wonder?????....???? was he maybe demoted because of how the mag has fallen from grace!!![/quote']

he's a member of this forum. why don't you just pm him and ask rather than speculate?