• bridge must be burned
    • the bridge can stay so the weenies dont have to learn how
    • the bridge has GOT to go

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If 4000 people ride there a month it means CNC has R80k to play with each month. I contribute about R200 to this a month. I have a right to have a say. I'm a paying customer.

Dude why pay so much get a annual pass on your wildcard its just over R200 for the whole year.

If 4000 people ride there a month it means CNC has R80k to play with each month. I contribute about R200 to this a month. I have a right to have a say. I'm a paying customer.

Dude why pay so much get a annual pass on your wildcard its just over R200 for the whole year.

cos I got a great deal on baseball bats and thought I'd pass the savings onto the TMNP. I DID mention I use the wildcard to get into other places. I don't only ride MTB dude. when I bought mine it was made clear that there are only X amounts of Tokai passes, as my card is not only for cycling. Not that it's really any of your business, but thanks for the heads up.

Back to the topic: I think the bridge must be taken down.

Thank you for your opinion BTS, I think you have made it over and over and over and over again.

However the bridge will stay. So unless you plan to buy that stretch of land (please note that falling on your arse is not a valid and legal transaction), AMA will continue ,through Bennett, Cobus and the unnamed helpers, to get the trails into a state where it will promote safe mountain biking for beginners while still providing a challenging ride for more experienced mtb'rs that use the Tokai forest.

If you don't appreciate the fact that erosion in certain areas needs to be arrested or that safety needs to be considered, then that is unfortunate.

However as I have stated in a previous post, mountain bikers have been responsible for the excessive wear on the MTB trail in tokai. So MTB'er are fixing it and are doing a job that will make the trail accessible to more people. You don't like that well then.......tough.

What you call a challenging ride is just the result of erosion. Continuous riding of eroded areas is not responsible mountain biking, it's just plain selfish and egotistical and results in more damage. Don't care? Well so people out there do care and we are doing something about our impact.

while I'm in a facilitating mood.....,If you require lessons on front brake usage, please feel free to join us on a Thursday Nightfor a night ride. We start at 19h15 from Steenberg Village parking lot. The ride is 2-3hrs so you will need lights ( I can do you an awesome deal on these) that will provide light for this time period. I typically ride behind the guys with a whip and anyone who drages their back wheel gets a few lashes. All in good fun. Last year mostof the guys could not sit but now  they're all seasoned and can ride anything the trail throws their way. Duncan is our chief guru. You'll learn a few things.

Also feel free to join in the post ride festivities which entails beer, food, more beer, some more banter around MTB in general. Cobus joins us from time to time and I am sure he will appreciate a face to face slagging off of work well done that was discussed, approved (with some protest) and paid for by the mountain biking community.

Oh yes, it also helps to be a member of the Warthogs forum where there is mush discussion around theMTB world.... no the Hub is not actually the centre of universe...

Here you will gain access to the people who actually ride, advocate with the land owners and then build and maintain the trails.

Please note, that the trail assets have been paid for by PPA, TMNP, and AMA, i.e. the members of those organisations. so if you want a voice that effective, it's a pretty good idea to sign up with

Being a member of thehub.co.za does qualify although it does serve a wonderful purpose for discussion and to get views from a wider community (and by that I am not implying that anyone is fat)

I had such a cool ride in Tokai this afternoon. I rode the new bridge four times on my one trip up the Faerie Garden- just because I wanted to. I was hoping to see a lurking bustforthicckness puking in the bushes, but nothing doing. It did look like somebody had been in some gastric distress - the other end - though, right after the bridge. That wasn't you was it?

More seriously - I have been riding in Tokai for 21 (possibly 22) years now - had fun counting back and reminiscing on my ride - and we are so privileged to ride there, and equally privileged to have the likes of Cobus making the riding even better. If you don't like one little bridge, then ride somewhere else on the mountain. Or close your eyes and ignore it.

So, who is up for a Tokai ride tomorrow afternoon?

Addiction?

What addiction?

Thank you for your opinion BTS' date=' I think you have made it over and over and over and over again.

However the bridge will stay. So unless you plan to buy that stretch of land (please note that falling on your arse is not a valid and legal transaction), AMA will continue ,through Bennett, Cobus and the unnamed helpers, to get the trails into a state where it will promote safe mountain biking for beginners while still providing a challenging ride for more experienced mtb'rs that use the Tokai forest.

If you don't appreciate the fact that erosion in certain areas needs to be arrested or that safety needs to be considered, then that is unfortunate.

However as I have stated in a previous post, mountain bikers have been responsible for the excessive wear on the MTB trail in tokai. So MTB'er are fixing it and are doing a job that will make the trail accessible to more people. You don't like that well then.......tough.

What you call a challenging ride is just the result of erosion. Continuous riding of eroded areas is not responsible mountain biking, it's just plain selfish and egotistical and results in more damage. Don't care? Well so people out there do care and we are doing something about our impact.

while I'm in a facilitating mood.....,If you require lessons on front brake usage, please feel free to join us on a Thursday Nightfor a night ride. We start at 19h15 from Steenberg Village parking lot. The ride is 2-3hrs so you will need lights ( I can do you an awesome deal on these) that will provide light for this time period. I typically ride behind the guys with a whip and anyone who drages their back wheel gets a few lashes. All in good fun. Last year mostof the guys could not sit but now  they're all seasoned and can ride anything the trail throws their way. Duncan is our chief guru. You'll learn a few things.

Also feel free to join in the post ride festivities which entails beer, food, more beer, some more banter around MTB in general. Cobus joins us from time to time and I am sure he will appreciate a face to face slagging off of work well done that was discussed, approved (with some protest) and paid for by the mountain biking community.

Oh yes, it also helps to be a member of the Warthogs forum where there is mush discussion around theMTB world.... no the Hub is not actually the centre of universe...

Here you will gain access to the people who actually ride, advocate with the land owners and then build and maintain the trails.

Please note, that the trail assets have been paid for by PPA, TMNP, and AMA, i.e. the members of those organisations. so if you want a voice that effective, it's a pretty good idea to sign up with

Being a member of thehub.co.za does qualify although it does serve a wonderful purpose for discussion and to get views from a wider community (and by that I am not implying that anyone is fat)

[/quote']

No thanks, I enjoy skidding into corners too much. But don't let me stop you from being a hero. The world needs them, even if they are fictional. Have a swell day all you bridge lovers!

This weekend I'm removing my front brake and am gonna have a skid fest. I know it's not the 'approved' way to ride, and that it's selfish and egotistical, but unless I get to skid a LOT at Tokai I end up needing to inflate my ego by hanging out at N1 City mall in leather pants and a Guns'n'Roses t-shirt, with grey flip flops and a chain attached to my wallet. Some would say it's emo mixed up, but I just tell them "hey, go join the AMA if you wanna be cool. They wouldnt let me in though, cos I dont have a front brake".

And then, once again, the sun rises, erosion continues, the tides turn and life goes on, and on and ooooooooooooon

I had such a cool ride in Tokai this afternoon. I rode the new bridge four times on my one trip up the Faerie Garden- just because I wanted to. I was hoping to see a lurking bustforthicckness puking in the bushes' date=' but nothing doing. It did look like somebody had been in some gastric distress - the other end - though, right after the bridge. That wasn't you was it?

More seriously - I have been riding in Tokai for 21 (possibly 22) years now - had fun counting back and reminiscing on my ride - and we are so privileged to ride there, and equally privileged to have the likes of Cobus making the riding even better. If you don't like one little bridge, then ride somewhere else on the mountain. Or close your eyes and ignore it.

Addiction?

What addiction?

[/quote']

Hello Tim, yes, that puke must have been mine, although a LOT of people puke when they see the patheticness of that bridge, so it could be anyones really. I will be moving out of my house soon and setting up a permanent camp at the bridge. I'll have fixed cameras there and a little round braai spot. I've decided to dedicate my life to this bridge area, and am going to set up a protest group as well as a help line [0800 number] for people who need councelling after the shock of being close to that bridge. If anyone wants to join the club, I'll be handing out kittens at the Hout bay robots tomorrow and you can get a membership form there.

dont particulary like this front braking crap... Wink oh and bridges

im all for this - http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

no bridges' date=' no lycra, no helmets, no trail builders, no hub and lots of fun and pot.

[/quote']

Clap

That's an AWESOME link Mellow. Nice one. Dam, the 70's were soooo cool eh. People are soo highly strung these days. All the pressure of having to be a modern twit kills the fun.

dont particulary like this front braking crap... Wink oh and bridges

im all for this - http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

no bridges' date=' no lycra, no helmets, no trail builders, no hub and lots of fun and pot.

[/quote']

Clap

That's an AWESOME link Mellow. Nice one. Dam, the 70's were soooo cool eh. People are soo highly strung these days. All the pressure of having to be a modern twit kills the fun.

yes found it on TREAD magazines site.. pretty cool :)

Nice post GoLefty, but it's falling on deaf ears.

There is a Sickness here that cant be Bust.

Any sensibility is just inciting more immaturity.

And that's just getting boring.

Nice post GoLefty' date=' but it's falling on deaf ears.

[/quote']

Thanks Splat, I'll bring this up at my 'Maturity Class' tonight.I just hope there's time 'cos we're actually discussing custard and the art of thumb wrestling.

From now on, as a matter of principle, I'll be skidding ALL the time. Every corner I get to. I already put on my brand new ice/snow studded tyres last night, which will help rip it up a bit more.

However the bridge will stay. So unless you plan to buy that stretch of land (please note that falling on your arse is not a valid and legal transaction)' date=' AMA will continue ,through Bennett, Cobus and the unnamed helpers, to get the trails into a state where it will promote safe mountain biking for beginners while still providing a challenging ride for more experienced mtb'rs that use the Tokai forest.

[snip']

I appreciate the fact that erosion is occurring in parts of the trails, and if changes are being made to combat this, then I am all for it. It's just that there is no explanation/information anywhere around about what is happening and where etc....

I've been to the AMA Rider web site a few times, and again after reading your post. There is a link about Tokai projects. Unfortunately the page in question was last updated in March 2007 (2 years ago). Any web page that is 2 years old pertaining to something that is constantly changing is basically useless.

http://www.givengain.com/cgi-bin/giga.cgi?cmd=cause_dir_project&project_id=4489&cause_id=1490

When you chat/ride with the guys again, can you make a plea for someone to update the information (if they are the guys doing the maintenance/building) ? Perhaps they can also include when they will be doing maintenance and building so more people can be aware of this and be more inclined to join and offer assistance.

Lack of information leads to speculation....

Text of the AMA Rider Tokai page below.

"Trails | Tokai Trail

DONATE

We are negotiating with Sanparks to extend the contour trail systems below level 4.

The proposed 2,1km trail will link the ?diagonal' with the masterpiece and offer a contour hugging route option.

Funding

is also required to actively pursue the elusive 'Offroad route around

the Peninsula?. This route is not going to appear out of nowhere. We

need research, coordination and planning.

DONATE

This page was last updated on 2007-03-01"

I had such a cool ride in Tokai this afternoon. I rode the new bridge four times on my one trip up the Faerie Garden- just because I wanted to. I was hoping to see a lurking bustforthicckness puking in the bushes' date=' but nothing doing. It did look like somebody had been in some gastric distress - the other end - though, right after the bridge. That wasn't you was it?

Addiction?

What addiction?

[/quote']Hello Tim, yes, that puke must have been mine, although a LOT of people puke when they see the patheticness of that bridge, so it could be anyones really. I will be moving out of my house soon and setting up a permanent camp at the bridge. I'll have fixed cameras there and a little round braai spot. I've decided to dedicate my life to this bridge area, and am going to set up a protest group as well as a help line [0800 number] for people who need councelling after the shock of being close to that bridge. If anyone wants to join the club, I'll be handing out kittens at the Hout bay robots tomorrow and you can get a membership form there.

Silly idea. Waste of time. Come for a ride in Tokai rather. There is a really cool new bridge over that silly river crossing.

However the bridge will stay. So unless you plan to buy that stretch of land (please note that falling on your arse is not a valid and legal transaction)' date=' AMA will continue ,through Bennett, Cobus and the unnamed helpers, to get the trails into a state where it will promote safe mountain biking for beginners while still providing a challenging ride for more experienced mtb'rs that use the Tokai forest.

[snip']

I appreciate the fact that erosion is occurring in parts of the trails, and if changes are being made to combat this, then I am all for it. It's just that there is no explanation/information anywhere around about what is happening and where etc....

I've been to the AMA Rider web site a few times, and again after reading your post. There is a link about Tokai projects. Unfortunately the page in question was last updated in March 2007 (2 years ago). Any web page that is 2 years old pertaining to something that is constantly changing is basically useless.

http://www.givengain.com/cgi-bin/giga.cgi?cmd=cause_dir_project&project_id=4489&cause_id=1490

When you chat/ride with the guys again, can you make a plea for someone to update the information (if they are the guys doing the maintenance/building) ? Perhaps they can also include when they will be doing maintenance and building so more people can be aware of this and be more inclined to join and offer assistance.

Lack of information leads to speculation....

Text of the AMA Rider Tokai page below.

"Trails | Tokai Trail

DONATE

We are negotiating with Sanparks to extend the contour trail systems below level 4.

The proposed 2,1km trail will link the ?diagonal' with the masterpiece and offer a contour hugging route option.

Funding is also required to actively pursue the elusive 'Offroad route around the Peninsula?. This route is not going to appear out of nowhere. We need research, coordination and planning.

DONATE

This page was last updated on 2007-03-01"

Pick up the Phone-call them, ask.

These guys are probably out there trying to fix trails without getting puked apon...

Nice post GoLefty' date=' but it's falling on deaf ears.

[/quote']
Thanks Splat, I'll bring this up at my 'Maturity Class' tonight.I just hope there's time 'cos we're actually discussing custard and the art of thumb wrestling.
From now on, as a matter of principle, I'll be skidding ALL the time. Every corner I get to. I already put on my brand new ice/snow studded tyres last night, which will help rip it up a bit more.

The first step to solving a problem is to admit there is a problem.Ouch Kudo's on you BTS to actually take the effort to attend maturity class.Clap You will be surprised at the results.Thumbs%20Up