How do you recover from serious overtraining?

Konaman

A friend of mine suffers from serious overtraining? What is the best way to overcome it ? How long should you lay off? How should you get back into training? Should you stop riding totally for a while? PLs help

I seriously doubt the average cyclist would even overtrain, the amount of time we generally put in is never going to "overtrain us". He may get tired, but that dos not necessarily mean he is "overtrained".

................but if he is a serious competitor, I guess its possible, and all you can do is rest until you feel strong again - your body will tell you when. 

I seriously doubt the average cyclist would even overtrain' date=' the amount of time we generally put in is never going to "overtrain us". He may get tired, but that dos not necessarily mean he is "overtrained".

................but if he is a serious competitor, I guess its possible, and all you can do is rest until you feel strong again - your body will tell you when. 
[/quote']

You dont need to have lots of time to overtrain. Overtraining can and usually comes about from too much training intensity, without having a rest week. Therefore no adaptation can take place.

Rest is the best option. For a little while

a good read on this topic here: ...

I miss Peter...

"Cycling is a hard sport, both mentally and physically, it is also a sport full of self appointed  experts with lots of opinions  that they will glasly pass to anybody who will listen - this is a dangerous combination for the rider committed to getting the best out of the time he or she has."

A friend of mine suffers from serious overtraining? What is the best way to overcome it ? How long should you lay off? How should you get back into training? Should you stop riding totally for a while? PLs help

Rest and watch your heart rate...  If you know your heart rate well you will be able to immediately see a diffrence when overtrained, either by watching and monitoring your resting heart rate or your ability to get it up high and the time it takes to settle again...

let him take a complete week off. then start of with light training. If he still feels tired, try another week. Else, if its more serious than that, he should see a biokineticist/pro trainer to help with a recovery program!

I took 2week off. 1st week completly no training, then the 2nd week I did 1hour easy spinning every 2nd day. After than I started training as per usual but included a recovery week after 3 hard weeks were I do the same intensity but cut the workouts in half. So far so good.

complete rest and some massage, eat a protein rich diet, do some yoga and stretching. and when you start riding again push light gears.

?

Rest and watch your?heart rate...? If you know your heart rate well you will be able to immediately see a diffrence when overtrained' date=' either by watching and monitoring your resting heart rate or your ability to get it up high and the time it takes to settle again...
[/quote']

Moonman what you just said might not be overtraining but a simple way to indicate that you have the flu because even though heart rate might indicate overtraining to a serious athlete most times it just tells you that you are not one hundred percent healthy

so in both cases REST relax and loads of protein and nutrients a good vitamin supplement and a bit of time off the bike will do well for both!!

This is always a tough one and could even be an inbred virus like "koksaki" aka yuppie flu or even glandular fever. EIther one of these are a real duzi as you never really get rid of it but they lie dormant until you prompt them up again by overtraining. Rest is by far the first option as well as diet and blood tests if you are serious about getting better. Rest up, sleep early and enjoy the lie-ins in the morn for at least a week then re-asses and listen to your body, it generally tells you more than you think.