How come we find this acceptable

JayC

At 1pm today there was nothing on the official Giro site re yesterdays stage. If we want to compete internationally then we need to sell our cyclists and our events and our passion for success professionally.  Mediocrity works to an extent then you need winners.  We don't even have Mickey Mouse. Its embarressing.  Even the Tour of Portrugal had a faster response time thatn us. (Check the last years tour of Poland) Ag nee man. We need some good communications people in the sport. Good luck Mr Lemmer.

I believe the company in charge of the website was in place before Carinus came on board, so he's probably dealing with a legacy of past administration.

Hugh volume?

If they are experiencing volume issue from a mere couple of thousand hits a day' date=' then they have a poor service provider. (And I mean the cycle tour guys hava a poor provider) [/quote']

Not a great ad for their service provider, Verizon, who are a technical sponsor to the event.

Napalm you are more than probably accurate with that but this is exactly the problem in SA.  Its inherent in all communication in all sport. Always someone taking over a problem created by someone else.  Just fix the damn thing and lets go forward. I empathise with Carinus Lemmer, he has a big task ahead. I'm sure that when we tell the rest of the cycling world our problems they will understand...... I don't think so.  At least for a change they are worried about politics

The Giro site as can be seen in these posts and some previous ones OBVIOUSLY doesn't work as required.

I think CL knows this and now has more than enough ammunition to change the status quo.

As Napalm says, it's probably all down to contracts etc.

Hopefully there's a clause referring to quality of service from the service providers side..........

Mr. Emmer should get one dedicated person, sitting with a race radio in a car, during the GdC, giving updates every say 3-5 minutes or as changes in the field take place.  Shouldn't be that difficult!!!! 

I'll be more than willing to do this, no charge.  OK, some charge, food and a few beers.

There is already a guy doing race radio, normally sitting with the Chief Comm - so sorry ewep, you'll have to find something else to do.

Stage 2 up. 

Napalm2007-03-09 00:41:11

Napalm, you don't understand.  I'll sit with a race radio, laptop and 3G card and give web updates using the race radio.