SA Frame Builders

Mr T

Steel frames are not welded' date=' but brazed or silver soldered, depending on the type of steel. Some factory steel frames were welded in the old days, but that was done by a Taiwanese factory using a robotic TIG welder.[/quote']

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/images/products/New-Dark-Blue-456-BB.jpg

So this frame is not welded? smiley3.gif

Looks more like it is glued with chickensh*t. That one is a cheapie - rubbish. Refer to my factory frame sentence.

To cover my arse I should have said: handbuilt frames by small time builders like we find in ZA, using commercially-available bike tubesets from Reynolds and Columbus.

In the US it is another story altogether (I'm now on bending, no longer welding) where the framebuilders have workshops and tools like that on American Chopper on TV and anything is possible.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me cringe when I see those Choppers guys tap a thread!

Amen!!! Seems I'm not the only one that!!!!

Looks more like it is glued with chickensh*t. That one is a cheapie - rubbish. Refer to my factory frame sentence.

Yep, but you said that was done in the old days. This is a brand new frame that is being offered by Kiwi.

I don't think I've ever seen a steel mountainbike that was lugged. There were some top-end steel mountainbikes that were welded before alu became the norm. Sunn had some really nice models.

Thug and I are distraught to hear that our steel TIG-welded GT Peace 9ers are cheap rubbish smiley19.gif smiley19.gif smiley2.gif

Yep' date=' but you said that was done in the old days. This is a brand new frame that is being offered by Kiwi.

I don't think I've ever seen a steel mountainbike that was lugged. There were some top-end steel mountainbikes that were welded before alu became the norm. Sunn had some really nice models.

Thug and I are distraught to hear that our steel TIG-welded GT Peace 9ers are cheap rubbish smiley19.gif smiley19.gif smiley2.gif [/quote']

He he.....I knew I could jab back with that statement. You are right about the lugs and MTBs, but in the context of the original question, "lTig-welded frames from a robotic factory somewhere in the east.

Hi
Does anyone know of a someone that makes bike frames in JHB or PTA. I know of Morewood but they are in KZN and I am trying to find someone I can go and have a chat with.
Thanks

Try get hold of John Freeman who used to make custom frames trading as Exocet bicycles (which apparently no longer exists), used to be in the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />West Rand area.

He's a nice guy and might be willing to chat...

I pm?d you his old phone numbers (cell and factory) but they are from 2002 era so might not help?.

Tell him if you speak to him that i still got his bike he made for me and its going strong, even still got the same crappy paint that he flung on it....LOL

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tell him if you speak to him that i still got his bike he made for me and its going strong' date=' even still got the same crappy paint that he flung on it....LOL

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

Hey.... I still have my bike from 1996 and the paint still looks good, so it cannot be that crappy Wink

The only thing I changed was the fork.

I love the Exocet (was called the South African Cannondale back then LOLLOL)

Ja your right, saw a few cannodale look alikes in his workshop.

The paint subject is more of a "between me and John" thing. 

His paint sticks for sure but striping is not his strong point.

Guest Big H

They are highly paid TV stars...... maybe TAP dancing is part of their repertoire????????

Steel frames are not welded' date=' but brazed or silver soldered, depending on the type of steel. Some factory steel frames were welded in the old days, but that was done by a Taiwanese factory using a robotic TIG welder.[/quote']

So this frame is not welded? smiley3.gif

That On-One is definitely cheap but certainly not rubbish. They make some of the best riding frames in the business and the fact they can bring it to market at such low prices is a bonus.

Just proves that you don't need to spend big bucks to get a great bike.

As for lugged MTBs, the only one I remember being lugged was the early 90s Bridgestone MB-0/MB-Zip. A real classic that one but it also fell into the "handbuilt frames by small time builders" category as it was a limited edition model. think it might've been built for Bridgestone by Tom Ritchey but I'm not quite sure

Amen!!! Seems I'm not the only one that!!!!

When I was an appy my artisan would've PKd seven kinds of sh*t out of me if I did it like that.

Luckily he never caught me when I used a drill with a tap in once Embarrassed

what tubing did Dale & Huth use Columbus or Renolds 531?

I've bought a 1973 DHC track bike which I'm currently giving a new lease on life
slowtwitch2009-05-06 07:00:40

I have done some extensive research over the last year or so on building my own mtb.

I could not find anyone in SA that made custom frames. Morewood makes frames, but their frames are all standard not custom made.

The whole process start at what want in a frame, your riding style etc. Then there are the 3 main materials used to build frames: carbon, aluminium and steel. All 3 have their strengths and weakness, the main thing to consider is weight vs durability.

Although alu would be the best bet, 7005 and 6061 are almost impossible to get in SA, and to expensive to order if you are not making 1000's of frames. Tubesets can be ordered online for rougly the same price as a good qaulity second hand frame. Not to mention the different types of heat treatment for alu. The welding process and equipmemt are very expensive.

Carbon are not hard to find but a fair knowledge of composites are needed for good qaulity and strong adhesion. Carbon is also expensive. Carbon frames are light and strong but, the builder have to be very precise in every process that are involved.

I have done some extensive research over the last year or so on building my own mtb.

I could not find anyone in SA that made custom frames. Morewood makes frames' date=' but their frames are all standard not custom made.

The whole process start at what want in a frame, your riding style etc. Then there are the 3 main materials used to build frames: carbon, aluminium and steel. All 3 have their strengths and weakness, the main thing to consider is weight vs durability.

Although alu would be the best bet, 7005 and 6061 are almost impossible to get in SA, and to expensive to order if you are not making 1000's of frames. Tubesets can be ordered online for rougly the same price as a good qaulity second hand frame. Not to mention the different types of heat treatment for alu. The welding process and equipmemt are very expensive.

Carbon are not hard to find but a fair knowledge of composites are needed for good qaulity and strong adhesion. Carbon is also expensive. Carbon frames are light and strong but, the builder have to be very precise in every process that are involved.[/quote']

Lastly but surely not least are steel, I know we all have been told that steel are heavy and prone to rust etc. But steel are stronger than alu and there are new development in the steel industry that makes steel that are not only stronger than alu but also as light as alu. Steel are easier to work with and given a good anti rust agent and paint job will outlast any other frame. These steel can also be ordered online in various shapes and sizes, thereare no welding and the tubes are braized or silver soldered, like being used in copper plumbing.

This is all a mouthfull but at the end of the day it is the rider of the frame that has to decide which material use. Above are only a couple of advantages and drawbacks. There are not a big weight differance between these 3 materials, altough carbon tend to be the lightest. I have read on the net that there are only a 14g differance between a cromolly steel frame and a alu frame sized meduim.

There are also titanium, but this is a totally diffirent ball game.

Please feel free to email me for more info or if you have any info that may be off help in regards to frame building. I am trying to get as much as possible info to put on my website for everybody that wants to feel the thrills and spills of riding their custom build dream machine.

gawie@cyclebuzz.co.za

out of the ordinary tubesets are making quite the statements these days. take the GT Fury as an example. I would imagine those are made from two half shells that were cast, and then seam welded to make up what looks like a monocoque-like frame. Makes bikes look more organic-like if you know what i mean. Luv it when builders think out of the box.

NB: i checked the GT Fury, and it is a monocque frame, but made of carbon fiber. Not sure how they constructed those complicated tubesets without some sort of symmetrical seam line, but still very aweesome bike frame.

Yep' date=' but you said that was done in the old days. This is a brand new frame that is being offered by Kiwi.

Thug and I are distraught to hear that our steel TIG-welded GT Peace 9ers are cheap rubbish smiley19.gif smiley19.gif smiley2.gif [/quote']

He he.....I knew I could jab back with that statement. You are right about the lugs and MTBs, but in the context of the original question, "lTig-welded frames from a robotic factory somewhere in the east.

My old Hutch bmx bike from the 80's was lovingly TIG welded by a "supersize me" American dude in Pasadena, USA. Has some nice welds i'll have you know. Smile