SA Frame Builders

Mr T

Hi

Does anyone know of a someone that makes bike frames in JHB or PTA. I know of Morewood but they are in KZN and I am trying to find someone I can go and have a chat with.

Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak under correction but there's no-one in Gauteng.

I understand Frans du Toit in Cape Town still does it. No idea where to find him but start Googling.

I've built two as experimental project bikes - one that I still ride every day. However, I no longer have the jigs, but if you want to ask technical questions rather than order one, shoot.

Thanks, Im researching the processes used to weld the frames together and how are the tubes bent to shape.

Isn't the dude who made those Gemini frames still around?

Exocet has closed down.

I emailed Frans du Toit a few weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a reply.

It's a pitty Bill Lange don't make frames anymore, his stuff was hot.

Okay, not in SA, but look at www.marinobike.com

There's a few Trials and street riders that use his frames, and they're happy with it. I was looking at getting a frame made by him before I got the GT. May still get him to build me a 24" Trials frame/fork one day.

Thanks' date=' Im researching the processes used to weld the frames together and how are the tubes bent to shape.[/quote']

You don't say whether you enquire about steel or alu.

Steel frames are not welded, but brazed or silver soldered, depending on the type of steel. Some factory steel frames were welded in the old days, but that was done by a Taiwanese factory using a robotic TIG welder.

Hand-built frames are all torch-brazed or soldered.

Alu frames are also tig welded but I doubt you'll find a custom framebuilder in ZA that can do that.

Frame tubes are not bent. They're purchased as tubesets from either Columbus in Itality or Reynolds in the UK. You choose straight or curved fork blades. The stays are straight. Tubes are sold in full lengths and you then cut and mitre them to get to your size.

Have a look at Youtube, you'll see several videos there showing you how it is done.

Isn't the dude who made those Gemini frames still around?

That is the Duncan McIntyre I spoke about. Sold up his framebuilding stuff and emmigrated to Cape Town. He worked for Deale and Huth in the very old days.

Thanks' date=' Im researching the processes used to weld the frames together and how are the tubes bent to shape.[/quote']

Perhaps contact one of the aerospace companys around... They manufacture with similar materials and processes.

ATE - Centurion

Aerosud - Centurion

Denel Aerospace - Centurion/East Rand

Steel frames are not welded' date=' but brazed or silver soldered, depending on the type of steel. Some factory steel frames were welded in the old days, but that was done by a Taiwanese factory using a robotic TIG welder.[/quote']

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/images/products/New-Dark-Blue-456-BB.jpg

So this frame is not welded? smiley3.gif

thanks

I was considering using 6061 Alu as I see that it is used    for quite a few frames. This is for my final year project so I need to get my technical info right. I am designing a recumbent bicycle. The reason I asked about bending is because I thought It may be stronger to bent the tubes into shape rather than having lots of welds in may design.