Dual suspension-weight

crasher

Hi just wondered when looking at a dual suspension bike what would you look for in weight this is for alu frame.

I know lighter is better and there seems to be a threshold you hit when it starts getting really expensive but lets say if you had between 20 to 24K to spend on a aluminium dual setup what should a target weight be for this price is 12kg realistic or way off?

I am interested to know what you would expect your dual to weigh when on a budget of 24K

Thanks

Crasher

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am also interested in this question, I have an S-Works Epic 2008 carbon frame and it comes in at 12.5kg. I built it up myself, bought the frame and added the rest, bought the best spec'd stuff I could find.

Now that in my book is on the heavy side, I would have expected it to be lighter than that, but it has good components on it.

Medium frame, Thompson stem / seat post, Phenom SL saddle, Carbon bar, X0 RD/ shifters, X9 FD, Avid Ultimate, XTR rotors, Crankbrothers Cobolt Crank, Sram rear cluster PG990, SRAM chain, Fulcrum Red Metal 3 UST rims, Mountain King at rear, Monorail front tyre, Crank brothers SL eggbeaters, Reba World Cup fork (not carbon crown). 

HammerHed2009-05-14 14:35:05

Moddified MED Anthem 1 of mine =11.9kg and I can easily drop 300gr off with dumping the mudguard...

If u want a cheap value for money light bike then the Anthem is the only way to go....

U can have mine for 24k with all the extras
rad0062009-05-14 14:32:15

My Raleigh RDS9 comes in at 12.2kg, and that's with heavy Nevgal UST tyres. LargeChrisH2009-05-14 14:48:38

Size counts - put the sizes on - big difference from small to x-large...

Good point Flea...I am riding a medium

When manufactures make weight claims do they give the weight of their middle of the range size or would they give stats on the small to gain a bit of a lower figure

How much diff in weight would you expect to get between a small frame and XL

How accurate are manufacturers claims and why do quite a few not give you the weight of the bikes on their sites

But it does seem then that around 12kg give or take a couple hundred grms would be right for that price range

At 23k-28k you can get the new Marida 96 dual sus...I herd that it is extreamly light!!! They said of their web page that it is the lighttest production frame at the moment ( not sure if it is true?)

But Picked one up a few days a ago and it seemed lighter then my Santa C superlight Disapprove

At 23k-28k you can get the new Marida 96 dual sus...I herd that it is extreamly light!!! They said of their web page that it is the lighttest production frame at the moment ( not sure if it is true?)

But Picked one up a few days a ago and it seemed lighter then my Santa C superlight Disapprove

Santa C

Don't worry too much in what it feels like when you pick up a bike, a scale tells the true story and whats more, your bike surely puts a smile on your face every time you ride it.

Hi just wondered when looking at a dual suspension bike what would you look for in weight this is for alu frame.

I know lighter is better and there seems to be a threshold you hit when it starts getting really expensive but lets say if you had between 20 to 24K to spend on a aluminium dual setup what should a target weight be for this price is 12kg realistic or way off?

I am interested to know what you would expect your dual to weigh when on a budget of 24K

Thanks

Crasher

My Med Anthem X1 is about 12.5kg - But that is R27k out the box. Not sure about other brands, but with some careful swapping and selling and buying on The Hub you could get it down to 12 without spending too much more.

For starters:

Gobi saddle is heavy - 270g

The wheels are heavy - about 2kg

Anthem2 medium =13kg predominantly XT parts with Maxxis tyres on XTR hubs and Mavic 819 - so not lightest wheels

AnthemX large = 12.5kg with hope hubs on 819 mavic rims, all components XT except Hope Tech brakes and Chris King BB

Both bikes with 2 bottle cages and bar ends. As I said wheels might make difference - but then both bikes are bomb proof!

My Merida 96 HFS 3000D (dual) comes in at about 12.5kg. Pretty standard specs except the tubeless tyres and bar-ends. Got the biggest frame I could get (21.5 inches, I think XL?) for my 1.96m and 100kg fat ass. Also had to replace std seatpost for longer one, seat changed as well. Doubt if that will have a huge impact on the "std" weight

Loving it BTW !!!Gillie2009-05-15 03:51:49

My custom build Kona Hei hei supreme scandium dualie  + 2.5" rear Fox RP23 shock  with Manitou R7 fork of 1.27kg; Avid SL v-brakes and the rest is XTR + DT swiss 1480 wheelset, comes in at 10.6kg; (The factory version with disc brakes  is 9.9kg.)

I am going to upgrade soon to Disc with XTR and Fulcrum zero red metal wheelset. I guess it will be close to 11kg then.