Jonkershoek MTB race feedback

1q2w3e

Did anyone do the Jonkershoek MTB race yesterday?

I was really disappointed by the route and organisation. When I complete the 25km route in just over 1 hour, you know the ride was too easy! The problem was that most of it was on roads, flat ones at that. There was only a short section in the forest, and no climbs! The marshalling was poor with very few of the fluorescent vest guys having any idea of which route was which.

I am a bit concerned because i see a bit of a trend here. The race calendar is getting filled up with people wanting to capitalise on the growing numbers of people doing this sport, and their prime motivation seems to be money, not putting on a great event. There is no passion or love for the sport - just a greedy mindset. The result is races like Saturday's Jonkershoek ride!

By the way, I notice it was organised by the local NGK, not a cycling club.

What do you guys think - is there is a trend here or should i just choose my races more carefully?

Ya, the longer would have been better, but it had only two little stretches of single track, yet was only about 8 km longer. I spoke to some of the guys afterwards and they were also pretty disappointed with the route.

I did the longer route, anough ascent for me, that ride was pretty well marshalled.  Saw a couple of people cheating by skipping one of the ST sections.  I agree that the ride up the tar road is unfortunate, route used to go up on the south side of the river along farmlands all the way, but new landowners are refusing access (basically because of some people riding there without permission a few years ago).  The ride was originally just a fun fundraiser for the local church, I think they are bit bemused by the number and quality of riders now turning up for the ride.  Send feedback to the organizers, they seem to take that into consideration for the next year's event.

While on the topic, does anybody know how the guy is that wiped out on the descent on the south side of the valley.  Spent about ten minutes trying to get help organised (no cellphone signal there), looked a bit grim.  The ambulance only arrived at the reserve when I exited about 35 minutes after leaving the scene of the crash.

1g2w3e, The race was a bit harder / longer than last year (4.9km). The route was a stuff up with the single track added. That said it is and will always be a easy Mtb race, it's the first one for the season, so don't worry, you'll get your fair share of hard races. Dead<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I had a nice rice, chatted to Sara before the start and found myself close to her most of the way until I got a flat in my front wheel...so I lost her there. SARA you did not look as strong as you usually do, you better sort that bike setup out!!! Oh, and the Bike looks AWSOME!!Thumbs%20UpClap

Just after I pumped my wheel and Stans did it's job.. I made it about 20m before I went down onto a short route rider that did not know which side of the freaken road he wanted to be 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10, our handle bars locked and we both went down and I landed onto of him, shame, felt sorry for him and he did say he was sorry like 10 times, ja ja, sh*t happens.LOL

I only noticed my saddle broke in the fall %%^&$%^!! afterwoods and I trimmed my handlebars a bit shorter when I got home, always felt like I was riding a chopper with the long bar. But all in all a nice little temp ride.

Some pic's.

20070319_023500_start_pin_1st.jpg

Had a nice big turn out for the long distance.

20070319_023542_start_pin.jpg

20070319_023646_start.jpg

20070319_023716_start_1st.jpg

20070319_023745_start_fast.jpg

20070319_023815_finish.jpg

Marius: You losing weight? Can't recall having seen your face looking this gaunt. Ek weet jy's sterk op die fiets, maar jy lyk bietjie "pap". So kom, spill da beans ...

nah, just lost 2kg since last year, so nothing hectic, probably just the angle of the shot and me getting olderDeadLOL

Here is a better one, me trying to figure out how to use my pick slippy to get a coke, all a bit confusing and why do we get capped on 1 coke...Embarrassed

20070319_024910_coke_slippie.jpg

Might also be that I don't drink on these short rides and lose about 2-3kg doing the ride but I do refuel afterwoods.
Marius2007-03-19 02:50:44

Mmmm, die liefde moet seker serious wees. As 'n man praat van ouer word, dan dink hy gewoontlik aan huwelik - so, do we hear wedding bells before the end of this year when you get your bonus? Or is the tandem gonna come before the crib?

Nice bike ... Well, after this feedback I have learned the following:

1. I am fit enough to do the long routes now

2. If it's a Fun ride, focus on having Fun!

Thanks for the photos!

I have always given this event a skip in the past because it is too flat, but after reading the description on the PPA website it seemed they livened it up a bit, saying the 40k is only for experienced MTB riders????

From that description , I thought we were going to do a bit of the real Jonkershoek.  I rode it with my girlfriend and we started the 30km but ended up doing the 40km single track to liven the ride up a bit. 

Oh well I ended up winning a braai "thing" in the lucky draw.  I must have been a funny sight trying to ride through Stb with it tucked under my arm.

"Experienced MTB riders can enter the popular 40km long route that includes technical single-track sections. The medium route follows sections of the long route. Except for the difference in distance, the 30km requires the same fitness and skills to handle the ascents, descents and single-track. Please note that both 40km and 30km routes include technical, steep descents and sharp turns. " 

Did I miss a turn somewhere??

yeah, also read that Le Tour, I double checked my shox and fork pressures, was expecting some drop offs!!LOL

No you didn't! That's what I was pissed off about: no steep descents and sharp turns. It's like the route designer left out all the best parts of Jonkershoek.

Marius, wasn't feeling particularly strong on Saturday and yip the setup is definitely wrong but will get it sorted out. It was only really supposed to be a bit of a training ride. Went and did another loop afterwards, gotta get a full dose of ST! Must say it was a bit suprising to get there and after seeing R55 as late entry fee paying R80? Anyway was a nice ride. SARA2007-03-19 03:17:09

A few of us went and rode Jonkers on Sunday, happened to be an adventure race on the go as well. Some looked like they were having fun some didn't. At one point myself and Lea stopped and waited for the other boys to catch up after the first section of singletrack. So as we're standing there 2 guys come over and "Vere is de start of zis track", so we give them directions and off they go. Thomas Frischnek and his friend (I think it was Ralph Naf or the U/23 WC, Nino Schuerter, not sure though) on a Merida with a white WC jersey. Later on as we were helping a friend with a flat wheel the 2 of them came bombing down and shouted "Great Track!", cool that international superstars take the time out to find the ST and then ride it with a child like joy, very cool to see. And yes they were moving quickly! TitusTi2007-03-19 04:03:59