SAs 31May09

THE BODY CENTRE

That's the most shameful thing I've heard of in a long time. I'd be p'd off if I was AM as well. Instead of eating burgers and drinking cokes, maybe the chief comm should have made a decision when the issue was first raised and stuck to it - one way or another. Not leave it over to the mob to mete out 'justice'.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ORCA: I'd love to see a picture about 10sec after the one you posted - the one with the raised hands.

Bruce, I took that particular pic (hence the quality Wink), but was too late the take one with all the hands in the air....but I can confirm, Orca wasn't one of the guys who put his hand up. He said afterwards, it would have been a better race if AM was racing....Wink

We were spectating on the hills and he came past us a couple of times. Not even a nodd when we greeted him. He sure looked p-d off

Wink i thought exactly the opposite. I thought he was quite friendly for a man who was just voted off a race. And immediately, he used the time for some hill training!

Why would anyone have a problem with someone racing down an age category??  Surely that person would be at a disadvantage, so what it the big deal.  Does this person, who happens to be a pretty decent bike rider, instill so much fear in his competitors that they object to his participation?  If you want to to be the best, then you need to beat the best...AM included. 

Guest colonel

He shouldve gone to hire a ostrich and came haulling passed the riders on it..

He shouldve gone to hire a ostrich and came haulling passed the riders on it..

LOLLOLLOL Lovely mental image. 

Hey I was so pollukered at the end of the vets 30-34 race that I was convinced I saw an ostrich riding a man...

Why would anyone have a problem with someone racing down an age category??  Surely that person would be at a disadvantage' date=' so what it the big deal.  Does this person, who happens to be a pretty decent bike rider, instill so much fear in his competitors that they object to his participation?  If you want to to be the best, then you need to beat the best...AM included.  [/quote']

You got the nail on the head there!!

Why would anyone have a problem with someone racing down an age category??  Surely that person would be at a disadvantage' date=' so what it the big deal.  Does this person, who happens to be a pretty decent bike rider, instill so much fear in his competitors that they object to his participation?  If you want to to be the best, then you need to beat the best...AM included.  [/quote']

he would have been able to ride a cat down, but then that is the only cat you can participate in....but Andrew rode the 45 - 49 TT and wanted to ride then in the 40 - 44 road race, what he should have done when the  controvercy started, just to have ridden the 45 - 49 road race as well.

the problem is/was that the rules (again) were not applied consistantly in this case....but then again also for allowing race radio's in the 30 - 34 age cat....

But all is hinde sight Wink
Poison Ivy2009-06-01 04:54:07

They allowed the one Vet that came late to ride with us in the SV cat at the WP Champs, said it was legal ect so I can't see why AM could not ride there as well..

he would have been able to ride a cat down, but then that is the only cat you can participate in....but Andrew rode the 45 - 49 TT and wanted to ride then in the 40 - 44 road race, what he should have done when the  controvercy started, just to have ridden the 45 - 49 road race as well.

the problem is/was that the rules (again) were not applied consistantly in this case....but then again also for allowing race radio's in the 30 - 34 age cat....

But all is hinde sight Wink

/QUOTE]

Somehow i don't believe this hoo haa was about the "rules"......

In my opinion, which is worth nothing, I think he should have just rode the cat's as stated on his licence. If he wants to compete somewhere else, licence there. Rules are rules, does not matter who gets affected and how. The problem I have with race admin, is they could have put and end to it long before the start line. That was a bit unfair. They knew about his intend to cycle in that race, why not tell him beforehand he won't be allowed?

Andrew cleared the issue and received the ok from CSA to ride in both categories some time before SA's, making his plans based on their confirmation letter.

the situation was exploited by (an?) opportunistc rider(s) that found an easy yet appalingy lame way to eliminate the strongest rider from the race, capitalising on inconsistent rulings and capitulation by the race organisation...

Very Sad for cycling in SA indeed!!!!Dead

IMHO, I do feel that Cycling SA favours some people more than others, hence causing discrepencies.

Why not make rules and stick to them no matter who you are, they'll bend the rules for some and not others, that is discimination!!

So I can understand why some people were angry....