LBS vs CRC prices

So I went to my LBS this evening to get some 20" tubes (leave that for another thread as I might get upset a jealous rep LOL ). Now anyway they where a bit busy due to tomorrows Robertson. I was price shopping some goodies on my CRC wishlist - odds 'n ends.

I was surprised that many products where the same as CRC, and even found some cheaper.

Of course there where those goodies that are traditionally more - tyres and camelbaks.

Just shows that we can still support our LBS.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I just found the same

I destroyed my rear derailleur and hanger at the monster

I had a standard XT derailleur my LBS fitted a XT shadow for 900 rand

RRP at CRC is about R970 they have them on sale at the moment for I think 750 so at 900 rand fitted was very reasonable

Was again at my LBS this afternoon and we chated about prices. He knows he has to compete against CRC and his prices show it. Actually, all the items I got prices for are cheaper to get from my LBS than CRC.

Example: My LBS is charging R185 for 8 Speed Shimano chain (full SS) vs R230 CRC; Shimano 520 Pedals are cheaper locally and not just CWC than CRC;

My LBS was even telling me about shocks on special at CRC, an email he recieved this morning. South African prices where R2500 cheaper!!!

I will still use CRC to do pricing, but it looks like I will be buying all my goods locally Tongue also helps that I live next door to a cycling parts rep too.

I agree.

Also do my price comparisons using CRC, but in more than 70% of the cases my local LBS (CWC Smile) is cheaper and it is a lot easier to get service from them if something is not to my satisfaction - AND so far I have only received very good service from them.

I must be honsest i have not seen this anywhere. Recently i bought new rd shoes. I was interested in either the mavic or specialized shoes. In the UK the top of the line mavic shoe (the yellow) one, which i think is around 4000 here, was selling for 2500. That is 100 less than i ended up paying for the mavic pro shoe.

The same with the s-works rd shoe. Selling for well over 4000 here but just over 2000 in the UK

local LBS (CWC Smile) is cheaper

From some brief searching I did a while back' date=' CWC appear to have the cheapest Zipp 404s (shipped to SA) on the internet...anywhere.

I must be honsest i have not seen this anywhere.

Recently i bought new rd shoes. I was interested in either the mavic or

specialized shoes. In the UK the top of the line mavic shoe (the

yellow) one, which i think is around 4000 here, was selling for 2500.

That is 100 less than i ended up paying for the mavic pro shoe.

Did your comparison prices include duties (up to 30%) and VAT (14% of value + duties + 10%). Once you include them, CRC's prices are about the same as the local prices you quoted.

Prices on small items are more or less the same but it's on the more expensive stuff like wheels that can be as much as 50% cheaper.

I normally keep orders over a R1000 for CRC.

The point im trying to make is the following: I know that if you import them its a extra 30% duty. The fact remains that for example specialized still sells the shoe to the agent in the UK. The agent puts on his mark up and sells it to the bike shop and the bike shop puts on a mark up and sells it to the customer. The same route it follows here. So, it is justifiable to compare the retail prices. To have the same shoe on the market in the UK for R2500 and here for R4400 does not ad up

The point im trying to make is the following: I know that if you import them its a extra 30% duty. The fact remains that for example specialized still sells the shoe to the agent in the UK. The agent puts on his mark up and sells it to the bike shop and the bike shop puts on a mark up and sells it to the customer. The same route it follows here. So' date=' it is justifiable to compare the retail prices. To have the same shoe on the market in the UK for R2500 and here for R4400 does not ad up[/quote']

I don't really think this is relevant in the context of comparing landed prices of internet stores, such a CRC, to LBS prices. As it stands, you cannot get a pair of shoes, legally, from oversees for significantly less than from your LBS.

You may as well be asking why the car prices they quote on Top Gear are so much cheaper than here or why you can get an uncapped 1Mbps ADSL line in London for under 20GBP and such a thing barely even exists locally.

What the point is relevant to is the question of why we need a 30% import duty to protect an industry (cycling shoe makers) that doesn't even exist in Southern Africa.

My bike was recently serviced, - R1299.00 for an ULTEGRA 10 speed rear cluster, Ultegra 10 spd chain R480.00 - this EXCLUDES the labour to fit them.

A prime reason I only buy my requirements internationally, I have to say, I also dont see prices here even in close comparison.

Do the agents that bring in the shoes also pay the 30% duty?

Yes, whoever imports the goods has to pay the duty.

Edman2009-06-13 09:29:14

I also tend to disagree about prices here and at CRC. I bought a Kona dual susp frame from CRC last year. My landed price was Under R10k. The best price I could get from different dealers in SA, was R15k. I can go on about different items.

I suppose it depends on what you're buying. European stuff like Campagnolo, Selle Italia and Mavic is a lot cheaper on CRC, Totalcycling, Comobike etc. In fact they appear to have the best prices for these goods on the 'net. Garmins, Zipps and Oakleys are about the same as local prices. On Polars, eBay sellers beat both CRC and the LBS.

The point is that CRC and the like are not cheaper for everything, so it pays to do some local comparison before clicking the order button.

Seems to me like the local agents are taking too much mark-up. If the LBS' cut their prices to cost they still can't even come close to matching CRC.