Farking idiot - seen on N1 into Cape Town

mdk555

I just smile when I see this - Sure he is doing 40km/h...But that is taking shortcuts IF he was training!!!

When your training is tough, your races will be easy.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are too scared or inexperioenced to do this dont call the guy who did it an idiot. 40 is the same speed as racing speed so i dont see the issue. once followed a truck like this for 30km at 60+, stay behind the wheels and you will hear him hit a brick or a hole! stick your head out the side and you will see the road surface ahead. go hard on the brakes one day and you will see how fast a bicycle slows down! stay alert and no problem.

if you are too scared or inexperioenced to do this dont call the guy who did it an idiot. 40 is the same speed as racing speed so i dont see the issue. once followed a truck like this for 30km at 60+' date=' stay behind the wheels and you will hear him hit a brick or a hole! stick your head out the side and you will see the road surface ahead. go hard on the brakes one day and you will see how fast a bicycle slows down! stay alert and no problem.[/quote']

I didn't call him an idiot, just dumbass stoopid!

Experience has buggerall to do with it. If you hit a pothole or a brick you will feel it way before you hear it. It's going to hurt. A lot. Plus, if you hear the hit something, which way do you swerve, left or right? Hope your batsense is tuned.

No matter how macho you feel doing it, it remains a stupid thing to do. Get someone to motorpace you who knows what they are doing if you are that good.

if you are too scared or inexperioenced to do this dont call the guy who did it an idiot. 40 is the same speed as racing speed so i dont see the issue. once followed a truck like this for 30km at 60+' date=' stay behind the wheels and you will hear him hit a brick or a hole! stick your head out the side and you will see the road surface ahead. go hard on the brakes one day and you will see how fast a bicycle slows down! stay alert and no problem.[/quote']

If you hear the brick/hole - do you go left or right of the wheel to miss that what you hear?

And yes, I used to to the 60+ thing. I was an idiot.

Edit: Sorry WH, i see you mentioned this in the meantime. I'm still an idiot. Wink

straatvark2009-06-21 14:03:07

I think he has been in the sun too long without a hat..........fried his brain.!

Brazilians do it the best - sometime ago I saw a guy on a commuter bike hooking his left foot at the right back-end of a city bus. This was in rush hour traffic with the bus doing at least 40km/h plus. Obviously now helmet was in sight.

The biggest problem I have with this scenario is the following:

1.  Mtb on tar?

2.  Tar being N1.

3.  Mtb being commondale.....

I used to do this a lot when I was young, knew everything and feared nothing. We used to ride from Pinetown to Stanger. At the on-ramp at Stanger, we'd wait for a truck and see how far back we could slip it for. Also did 99kph down Fields Hill behind a truck once... My mate Crispin Brien once rode from Ladysmith to Westville behind trucks like this.

It's not something I'd recommend, but I can confirm that it looks more dangerous than it feels.

jeremy maartens once told me about getting pulled over by a cop when he was drafting a truck - apparently doing 100 in an 80 zone?strange that the cop wasn't interested in the truck braking the speed limit! 

It brings to mind the saying...............

You get "old cyclists" and you get "bold cyclists" but you get NO "old bold" cyclists.!

Actually I think it also breaks a few rules of the road,.... following distance, ride on the left etc.!

Body of an adult, brain of a toddler in my opinion.!

porky2009-06-21 23:59:56

strange that the cop wasn't interested in the truck braking the speed limit! 

You're in trouble when Bored Girl gets here, and this from a journo as well. Was he at least wearing a helmut? Wink.

strange that the cop wasn't interested in the truck braking the speed limit! 

You're in trouble when Bored Girl gets here' date=' and this from a journo as well. Was he at least wearing a helmut? Wink.

[/quote']

Embarrassed

hey, english is my second language. i like to see her get her tongue around a little gaelic?Wink

It brings to mind the saying...............

You get "old cyclists" and you get "bold cyclists" but you get NO "old bold" cyclists.!

Actually I think it also breaks a few rules of the road' date='.... following distance, ride on the left etc.!

Body of an adult, brain of a toddler in my opinion.!

[/quote']

First time I've ever heard that saying, and I'm an old bold cyclist, as are most of my friends. Are you sure it's not a saying applicable to motorcyclists?

Body of an adult, brain of a toddler = second childhood... Big%20smile

MDK55 I hope you didn't use your cell phone to take that picture while driving, thats also illegal. smiley2.gif