Willie Engelbrecht closing down?

Novak

I mean' date=' was the sheriff really involved, I'm not sayin g it isn't so, but, it would be nice if we keeo with the facts, and from what I can gather, the only know facts are the sms and that their doors are closed.

[/quote']

Page 1 of this forum, post 7.

Says, the "Balju" closed the doors.

Theres no reason to disbelieve the post either.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the plea to stop the thread, but there is still some things to be said. Like Hagar I don?t look the part, whatever that is , at least not like a Pro Racer. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I could also understand the feeling of a cold shoulder first time visit, as you are mostly used to your LBS with 1-2 customers in there all the time, Willie sometimes looks like Cape Town station with plenty of buzz, especially before a big race.

I have only ever gotten great service from these guys. I don?t know Willie personally, but has always been friendly and helpful. I wandered in and out the shop for a full year, before I bought a road bike. And the day I bought it I got super service and a great deal from Willie himself, for that I will always be thankful.

His shop was always well stocked and for most of us who need expert advice from our LBS, for that they provided a valuable service to the cycling community. For those of you buying online, yes it is mostly cheaper, but refunds and issues is a B1tch.

I am saddened by the shop being closed (even temporarily, hopefully), and hope they could somehow get back up and running.

This is also evidence for how bad the economic state currently is.

To Willie, John and your team; all the best of luck and thanks for the service you and your team provided to the cycling community for many years.

Hope to see some positive comments from some of negative buggers on the hub.

Guest Big H
Hagar' date=' as jy in die kaap kom kan jy nie kalvoet en met n Sharks hempie in die plekke rondloop nie, die mense gaan dink jy's n bergieWinkLOL[/quote']

If you were a BLUE BULL that would have been very funny....... but a bit rich coming from a stormer!!!!!!!!

............. PS it must be the first time I took a sjarqie's side!!!!!!!!!

WE certainly did not fail as a business, the balju did not close the doors, TheHub is doing what it does best (ie long threads based on no facts).

Willie, you are one brave man. Do what YOU do best: swim against the current. Its tiring, but for some that is the only way to live.

this is so south african, you okes are so jeolous cause willie had a business & drove a 4 x 4 & you were so scared he would have a cent more than you. Do you complain when the builder comes to your house in a 4 x 4 or bmw m3

Cycling is a tough sport and most of you okes want the fancy stuff so you can look cool but i bet you  98% of hubbers are probably not good cyclists cause if you were you would be pro & not have to pay for your spares. If its not your passion then play rugby.

I have been to willie & other bike shops & dont mind supporting them cause its hard out there and in winter i wouldnt want a bike shop. 

Maybe cause i can afford to ride a bike & do most of my talking with my legs which maybe a bit old these days. Viva local shops!!

"

Cycling is a tough sport and most of you okes want the fancy stuff so you can look cool but i bet you  98% of hubbers are probably not good cyclists cause if you were you would be pro & not have to pay for your spares. If its not your passion then play rugby.

I have been to willie & other bike shops & dont mind supporting them cause its hard out there and in winter i wouldnt want a bike shop. 

Maybe cause i can afford to ride a bike & do most of my talking with my legs which maybe a bit old these days. Viva local shops!!
Bully for you!! Just remember that the self same crowd you are defending would not exist without the, as you eloquently put "98% of hubbers are probably not good cyclists cause if you were you would be pro & not have to pay for your spares" That where the rands and cents come from obviously because pro's don't pay! 

Diesel - Are you Malema? Cant be 2 people in SA who can make such idiotic statements.

back 2 the topic.  My previous post was not negative, sorry if some of you feel so.  I really feel for John and all the others.  I was at the shop often and never received anything but great service from them.  My dad bought 2 bikes worth over R 130-00 from willie and he beat everyones price after he shopped around.  That is why i say - sell the beach house, save the business.

shew, this must be one the most narrow minded posts I have read in a looooong time. It is us 98% that keep your "lets my legs do the talking" attitude in cycling. You should be encourgaing us to want to become passionate - not bemoaning us.

Its your attitude that makes cycling an elitist sport only for pro's

Changing your lifestyle in the current market is not that easy. Selling expensive property (that is probably bonded to 115% of its current market value) is not viable. I think that there are alot of people that is in this boat, where they either paid too much, or geared too much, and now they are in trouble. The banks are sympathetic, because if they attach the property, they sit with a bad debt on their books, but it is easier to stop the bleeding by liquidating a business. It impacts on the staff that worked there, but I guess that Willie would have written their staff accounts off (one of the big perks of working in a bike shop is that you can buy the new stuff you want / like on a staff account, and it gets paid off via a deduction off your salary). And now don't start with the "staff accounts are bad business" crap... it keeps the staff happy, and it ties them to the employer, because if they want to leave, the account has to be settled.

I also suspect that the guys working there would have either seen it coming, and / or have been informed in advance of what is going on. Perhaps this is why Lourens left the shop a few months ago.

Perhaps leave it to your legs to do the talking, and not your fingers...

What a load of drivel .... by the way does your mom know that you have access to the internet.

What a load of drivel .... by the way does your mom know that you have access to the internet.

hey miggies21, no need to flame the guy, it doesnt help, rather flame what he writes.

Geez its a business. How many others are closing? I work for the largest hotel group in SA and we are finding it tough as well. Diesel y going to come stay at the hotel in the Pres suite for R3000 a night for 100 nights plz. That will help us make up what we behind. Thx theres a nice chap.

Clap

It is sad that the shop is closed as it is one less place to go see if they have in stock what the guys are looking for.

Guest colonel

No offence here but if it closed then there must of been bad management and business somewhere or it wouldnt of closed. They should of made changes when they saw it coming as this wouldnt of happend over night I dont believe.

Ohter shops are still open ie CWC for example and also cater for the hi-end and funrider.

My 2c