Willie Engelbrecht closing down?

Novak

90% of customers ask "what's the best price?"

and they feel better if they get R5 off.

At Westdene cycles they give -10% on everything over R150. Shimano is -20%. Bike are normally -10 to -15% on ticket price unless they wrote on the tag "no discount". But depending on you relationship with the shop' date=' you can still get some discount. [/quote']

dude at cajee's once produced a tube for R70. when i balked at the price, he said he'd knock R20 off?mmmmmmm, R50 rand for a kenda tube that nearly everyone else sells at R30-ish?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimano is -20%. 

Maybe because the recommended markup of Shimano is 70% ...

Guys' date=' I think we are all commenting on opinion and no facts.  I still say, I don't think the balju actually closed the doors, even though I know someone mentioned it here.  If it was the balju, there would be a chain and a lock on the shop's doors, which there isn't.

If that is the case, that the balju didn't close the doors, then, surely it doesn't matter what kind of deals are going on.  Yes, maybe they are on the verge of colapse, but, if you can squeeze I extra bit out of it, before someon comes and lock your doors, then surely there is nothing wrong with it.

No matter how we look at it, it is still sad, either way.
[/quote']

Well, to add to the mystery. There is a sign on the door that says: 'Closed for stock taking'.

I hope is that case and they will resume business again soon.

[quote name=holy roller

snip snip....

I expect the best price from the start - as is seen on the price tag displayed - otherwise' date=' do not dispaly price tags if the prices are negotiable.

[/quote]

90% of customers ask "what's the best price?"

Jaa, but that does not make it right???

I mean, every car exhaust / tyre/ shocks /battery shop here where I live have permanent 50% discount sinage on their shop windows....how does that work?

They must think we are stooopid or something...so the day that a "real" sale comes up....we don't beleive them anymore?

By the way, this thread is getting way off topic.

Who cares if the sheriff closed WE's shop or not...it's not important.

I'm also sure that he was not so silly (stoopid) to have his personal assets tied up in his bussiness...it's most probabaly under his wife's name or in a seperate trust / close corpotation...

That what most building contractors does...once they go belly up - they normally have zero assets that can be affected by the liquidation etc.

Guest colonel

If I was selling something for R15 000 and someone asked me what my best price was I would say R17 000

Guys' date=' I think we are all commenting on opinion and no facts.  I still say, I don't think the balju actually closed the doors, even though I know someone mentioned it here.  If it was the balju, there would be a chain and a lock on the shop's doors, which there isn't.

If that is the case, that the balju didn't close the doors, then, surely it doesn't matter what kind of deals are going on.  Yes, maybe they are on the verge of colapse, but, if you can squeeze I extra bit out of it, before someon comes and lock your doors, then surely there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm not trying to stir, I'm not a friend of Willie or anybody that worked there and I think everybody makes valid points here, but let's give the guy the benefit until we know the facts.  We must remember, his name does have value, even if he has gone belly up, yes they might close his shop and take his house, but he can still get very far with his name, so let's not spoil that.

No matter how we look at it, it is still sad, either way.

[/quote']

true.  Wish we had facts.

There is no value in a name where there are no values and ethics shown in a business situation or any other situation were simple rules should be followed.

There many individuals that run very successful bicycle stores that are not ex pro's or have a "name" they are simply passionate about cycling or passionate about providing a SERVICE to people that are like minded. It's it amazing that there are bicycle stores owned and run (very successfully) by people who don't even ride !!!!

williamtyson2009-07-03 11:10:10

If I was selling something for R15 000 and someone asked me what my best price was I would say R17 000

LOL ... reminds me of my salesman days. Use to always reply like that LOL

• 2 weeks later...

What I would like to know is are the wholesalers that supplied WE going to get sorted out , yes it is a shame that one of the best cycle stores in the country closed down but what about the effects it has on the suppliers that are now going to be out of pocket , I am sure there are one or two of the smaller ones that would not be able to cope with losing substantial amounts of cash or stock . Were they sorted out after that huge sale , that is what I would like to know and now there are talks and sms' flying around that WE is going to be opening another store where is the justice in that .

I also feel that the people that actually needed to get the credit for running the shop have not even got a mention . I walked in that store on more than one occasion to be met by a very stern , dare I say miserable WE and then would rather opt to deal with one of the more willing sales staff , no wonder things turned out the way they did , but hey maybe that is just me and my imagination .

As far as the other shops punting themselves I also think it is in poor taste but like the boere say "een man se dood is n ander man se brood "

As a wholesalers who biggest client is - yes is - WE. I can assure you WE will do his best to try and sort out the industry as best as possible! He still want to be in the trade - so no point in having bad vibes!

I don't want to doing my washing in public and I don't believe any wholesaler would - but I am sure each and every wholesaler who had WE cycles as a client will come up with an idea for WE - I know I have. We the wholesalers and the trade were very fortunate for 13 years to have a guy like WE raise the bar. We collectively have all benefited from that.

We the wholesalers and the trade were very fortunate for 13 years to have a guy like WE raise the bar. We collectively have all benefited from that.

That statement not only applies not only to WE but all the staff that have work their over the years!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, was at the spar next to willie on Friday.  Guys were loading up some bikes on a trailer and I had a chat to him. Apparently it was the liquidator guy.  And the following are the facts.  Al the stock that was on consignment is now out of the store. The stock that is left (lots) will be tried to be sold as a package. Probably to cwc, cyclelab or someone else thats big.  IF that doesnt work a firesale will be held.  There will be advertisements in the local papers as well a big sign at the shop for three weeks.

Good luck to the guys, hope a good price is reached, it would be beneficial to everyone.

FanieFiets2009-08-03 08:00:00

heard from 4 different sources that WE will be reopening again at another location (welgedacht centre near majik forest). cyclelab will takeover current premises. difficult to believe.

Guest colonel

I agree with Butafly, listening to some people high up on the food chain he owes alot of suppliers money and I dont see them supplying him again with a "already debt"

I dont know but it makes no sense.

Willie has always been a gentleman and has over many years proved to be a valuable asset to cycling. It was Willie who got me back on my bike many years ago, it was Willie who helped sponsor some of the best known cyclists today. It was Willie who personally financed bicycles for a number of cyclists who could not pay cash.

I feel some have short memories and now critisize the man who made many of us what we are today.

The old saying seems to repeat itself over and over "When days are dark, Friends are few"

I am sure Willie has many many friends out there.

Willie is my friend and I stand by him through thick and thin.

Gypsy

Big%20smile