Rudy Project Lens Shot with 9mm

rudyproject

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only are they unbelievable sunnies but they fit perfectly!

Got mine last week from cwc, and for a flippen bargain!

Even better, they quoted me R4151 for only the lenses, including the frame the price was R8141. That is for the frame that CWC is advertising for R1599 I think. Luckily I have a frame.

I'm going to have a little whine here. There 2 claims about sunnies that get made far too often' date=' this is one of them. The other one is "mine's more UV resistant than yours."

Thing is, polycarbonate (the stuff ALL plastic sunglass lenses are made from, even the R5 fleamarket jobbies) has 2 notable properties.

Firstly, it's close to 100% UV resistant. Proprietary coatings, treatments etc etc will do nothing besides change the tint, and in some cases give better scratch protection and reflective properties.

Secondly (drumroll please...) it's remarkably tough. Bulletproof, in fact. Anyone remember the Topsport Darcs ad where they shot a pair with a shotgun? Nothing new here, folks...

Ok, I'm done. (BTW, I'm not saying RP don't make great riding glasses. They do. But bulletproof lenses are not unique.)[/quote']

And anybody know if these are in prescription?

Thats my problem, I need prescription glasses and UV filtering. Sorry, but the level of UV protection varies alot between glasses. To get on the technical side you need glasses that protect your eyes on a wide range of light wavelengths and not just a certain part of the UV wave length. As soon as light red-shifts or blue-shifts, its frequency changes.

droo... Firstly, not all lenses are polycarbonate, least of all Rudy Project's ImpactX lens. Secondly, polycarbonate is not tough, it's actually quite brittle and is more likely to shatter on impact, take a hammer to your sunnies and see what I mean. On the converse, ImpactX lenses are made from a soft polymer and are guaranteed never to shatter.... EVER!

And anybody know if these are in prescription?

Yes the set I ordered are prescription. Have not received them yet, takes 4 - 6 weeks.

I'm going to have a little whine here. There 2 claims about sunnies that get made far too often' date=' this is one of them. The other one is "mine's more UV resistant than yours."

Thing is, polycarbonate (the stuff ALL plastic sunglass lenses are made from, even the R5 fleamarket jobbies) has 2 notable properties.

Firstly, it's close to 100% UV resistant. Proprietary coatings, treatments etc etc will do nothing besides change the tint, and in some cases give better scratch protection and reflective properties.

Secondly (drumroll please...) it's remarkably tough. Bulletproof, in fact. Anyone remember the Topsport Darcs ad where they shot a pair with a shotgun? Nothing new here, folks...

Ok, I'm done. (BTW, I'm not saying RP don't make great riding glasses. They do. But bulletproof lenses are not unique.)[/quote']And anybody know if these are in prescription? Thats my problem, I need prescription glasses and UV filtering. Sorry, but the level of UV protection varies alot between glasses. To get on the technical side you need glasses that protect your eyes on a wide range of light wavelengths and not just a certain part of the UV wave length. As soon as light red-shifts or blue-shifts, its frequency changes.

What I was referring to was the UVA and UVB spectra, which is what most of the manufacturers claims are about. The visible spectrum is a different story, hence the bit about lens tint.

And AFAIK you can get prescription inserts for Darcs, Omnico should know.

Thanks

I'm not concerned about the visible spectrum as that is what tinting is for, its just certain types of light (and heat) is damaging to your eyes. I have blue eyes and am very sensitive to certain times of the year - when it seems brighter outside than normal.

In a perfect world I would have R10K lying around to get some sunnies.

cbrunsdon2009-06-29 05:52:21

where can I get RP Rydon photochromic lenses for cheap-cheap (less than R1000)? I have a pair of photochromatic grey/polarized lenses and they are not ideal for the winter. Ricky Bobby2009-06-29 06:10:47

Cool' date=' so the bullet will glance off the lense and probably hit you in the cheek or forehead. [/quote']

That's the least of your problems if you are in the line of fire.

Besides, if you took a direct hit, they would rapidly become contact lenses!

Ha ha spinnekop... Everythings a rip off if you can't afford it.... 

You don't know me at all do you..........http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/cool_shades.gif

Hey Ricky Bobby, The RRP for these Lenses is R1050 excl VAT. It is unlikely that you will find these lenses under that price as dealers generally won't go and undercut each other unless they are importing grey product and don't give a damn for others in the industry... You also obviously forfeit your warranty if you purchase grey products...

If you can't find a local dealer to help you. contact the Rudy Project  head office and we''ll point you in the right direction.

Ha ha spinnekop... Everythings a rip off if you can't afford it.... 

You don't know me at all do you..........http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/cool_shades.gif

Nope, but judging by yr post.... you're old and you ride alot! You're

obviosly not very happy with your equipment because you've tried it

all.... Oh and your memory is perfect. To remember how many races and

how much milage you've done in 15 yrs is quite impressive... Wow! I

don't know how much I rode last month..

Hey Ricky Bobby' date=' The RRP for these Lenses is R1050 excl VAT. It is unlikely that you will find these lenses under that price as dealers generally won't go and undercut each other unless they are importing grey product and don't give a damn for others in the industry... You also obviously forfeit your warranty if you purchase grey products...

If you can't find a local dealer to help you. contact the Rudy Project  head office and we''ll point you in the right direction.
[/quote']

'ey man; I'll get this brah of my kuzzin to make me one sweet deal and organize it on medical aid and'all for 200 bucks and we'll pocket the diffrence Big%20smile

Thanks for the help.

Saw a pair of RP Rydon's  with the polarized photocrhomatic lenses in Sandton yesterday for R5k! Have the prices gone up by that much?

Hey Ricky Bobby' date=' The RRP for these Lenses is R1050 excl VAT. It is unlikely that you will find these lenses under that price as dealers generally won't go and undercut each other unless they are importing grey product and don't give a damn for others in the industry... You also obviously forfeit your warranty if you purchase grey products...

[/quote']

'ey man; I'll get this brah of my kuzzin to make me one sweet deal and organize it on medical aid and'all for 200 bucks and we'll pocket the diffrence Big%20smile

Thanks for the help.

Saw a pair of RP Rydon's  with the polarized photocrhomatic lenses in Sandton yesterday for R5k! Have the prices gone up by that much?

Hey RB... Rudy Project has not gone up that much at all... If you shop around you will find the Rydon's that you mentioned from about R3500 up to R5k... Rudy Project have a suggested retail price but it is the shop owners discretion as to how much mark-up he puts on.