Rudy Project Lens Shot with 9mm

rudyproject

Thats correct Chris. It is one of my posts...I, like many people on this forum thought that you were the importers and would have been caught out and bought from you. I have subsequently found out that you are NOT the importer which is why I am annoyed... I would have bought from you thinking that all is well and that my eyewear is covered by the local authorised importers which you are obviously not..

Oh... and how can you be not sure... it's your site isn't it?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy Project make great glasses. The fact that they don't shatter is cool, and during a hard crash on a rocky section of downhill this could prove to be a very valuable feature...but something about these lenses that hasn't really been pointed out on this thread, is how dramatically they adapt to light conditions.

I have posted these pics before, but check these before and after pics of my Exowinds with photochromic clear lenses out....with literally 30 seconds of sun exposure between shots:

20090629_133037_Photclear_befor.jpg20090629_133056_photoclear_afte.jpg

OKay, now you got me drooling ... this is exactly what I'm looking for.

EDIT:

Cool, I see (www.rudyproject.co.za) that my optom in Somerset West (Simon) is a stockist. As mentioned before, I will only buy from him and I will only buy eyecare products he stocks.

cbrunsdon2009-06-29 14:05:56

Guest Big H
Johan' date=' this lens is not polycarbonate, ImpactX lenses are made from a soft, flexible polymer. Polycarbonate on the other hand is a hard material that is prone to shattering and definitely scratching.

We have a little testing unit at the office where we take all of the brands mentioned in your post and shoot them with a pellet gun from about 20cm... Polycarbonate lenses shatter and ImpactX lenses do no leave a single mark... not even a scratch.

The proof is definitely in the pudding here.
[/quote']

Polycarbonate is just as strong. I saw a lens from a pair of D'Arcs cycling glasses (Proudly South African by the way!!!!!) that was shot by a shotgun with SSG pellets (bokhael). It was struck by three pellets. Not one penetrated.

I was struck by 'n Miskruier going down the hill at the dogschool near Roodeplaat dam. My eye intacts..... thanx to the so called "cheap" cycling glasses.

Johan' date=' this lens is not polycarbonate, ImpactX lenses are made from a soft, flexible polymer. Polycarbonate on the other hand is a hard material that is prone to shattering and definitely scratching.

We have a little testing unit at the office where we take all of the brands mentioned in your post and shoot them with a pellet gun from about 20cm... Polycarbonate lenses shatter and ImpactX lenses do no leave a single mark... not even a scratch.

[/quote']

Polycarbonate is just as strong. I saw a lens from a pair of D'Arcs cycling glasses (Proudly South African by the way!!!!!) that was shot by a shotgun with SSG pellets (bokhael). It was struck by three pellets. Not one penetrated.

I was struck by 'n Miskruier going down the hill at the dogschool near Roodeplaat dam. My eye intacts..... thanx to the so called "cheap" cycling glasses.

Big H, I think the big difference here is they never penetrated the lens but the lens was damaged.. After shooting an ImapctX lens at nearly point blank range with a pellet gun it does not leave a mark....at all.  It is realy in a league of it's own.

I think the one thing that we all agree on here is that one should wear good shatterproof eyewear. If D'Arcs are your thing then great... At least you're protecting your eyes.

rudyproject2009-06-29 23:06:53

Thats correct Chris. It is one of my posts...I' date=' like many people on this forum thought that you were the importers and would have been caught out and bought from you. I have subsequently found out that you are NOT the importer which is why I am annoyed... I would have bought from you thinking that all is well and that my eyewear is covered by the local authorised importers which you are obviously not..

Oh... and how can you be not sure... it's your site isn't it?

[/quote']

Have you bought stuff from HiFi corp before ? Maybe Game, Makro ?

RP.....................  quick question..... what would a set of photocromatic lenses cost for my Rydon's

Guest Big H

[/quote']

Big H, I think the big difference here is they never penetrated the lens but the lens was damaged.. After shooting an ImapctX lens at nearly point blank range with a pellet gun it does not leave a mark....at all.  It is realy in a league of it's own.

I think the one thing that we all agree on here is that one should wear good shatterproof eyewear. If D'Arcs are your thing then great... At least you're protecting your eyes.

I doubt your condacending ending statement above. Your puny sunglasses which you are advertising on the Hub....... by the way soliciting is NOT allowed by the rules of the Hub........... are not the only type available.

Are you doubting the Omnico writeup on D'Arcs or are you just suurtiete?????

D?Arcs Eyecare Systems

D?Arcs Sunglasses have been designed locally for local conditions. Featuring an easy to fit lens changing systems, one is able to change out the lenses to suit changing light conditions.

D?Arcs sunglasses are available in a 3 Frame designs which have been engineered for a comfort fit for all active sports. They are curved to hug the face at the temples giving an aerodynamic profile. They are light and the cushioned nosegrip provides excellent stability. D?Arc lenses are available in a variety of lens shapes to suit all faces and tints to suit all moods.

D?Arcs are packaged in a 4 lens set to cater for all light conditions or as a single pair of sunglasses. Each set of D?Arc Sunglasses includes a carry pouch and cord as well.

D?Arcs Eyecare Systems have a lifetime guarantee against cracking and breaking. All D?Arc lenses meet and exceed UVA/UVB filtration and optical requirements of European Eye Protection Standards (EN1836:1997) and are CE approved

By the way...... if I damage or lose any part on the D'Arcs they are replaced without any cost. Does your product offer the same after sales service????? ........ I lost a nose bridge that was replaced. I did purchase some more as I saty in Angola..... not many shops around.

By the way for those who need wicked cycling galsses with prescription lenses in.... Smiths make super glasses that can be fitted with your prescription lenses.

Big H, I was in no way being condescending towards you or doubting Ominco's statements they make on their brand. I seriously mean what I say... If you're wearing eyewear, you're protecting your eyes... that is great.

With regards to soliciting... We DO NOT sell eyewear to the public, the point of this post was to show hubbers the great properties of our lenses..... A RAVE in the Rants and Raves section.

Folks' date=' any company that is charging R1600 for a pair of Rudy Projects with ImpactX lenses is bringing them in as grey imports and no warranty will be covered by Rudy Project SA. [/quote']

Cool So, why would anyone NEED a warranty claim??? After all, you have proven these sunnies to be vitually indestructable & unbreakable!!Big%20smile

As per usual, people feel it necessary to have a go at companies/products for the simple reason that they are good quality and are a bit more expensive than other products that are around.

Things are simple, if you don't feel that a product is worth the price, then don't buy it!  If the product is genuinely overpriced, then market forces will dictate!  Could it be that the product is a quality product that uses better materials and hence costs more?  Is this such a crime?

If a product uses beter materials, then there is no reason why the product shouldn't be marketed as such!

I personally prefer to buy the best quality that I can afford.  Too many times I have bought a cheaper product, only to end up buying the better product in the future because I was not happy with the cheaper one!  Effectively adding the cost of the cheaper one to the one I should have bought in the first place.

I have been using Rudy Project for a number of years, and have gotten to know Simon (aka rudyproject) quite well.  I have had a set of rydon lenses replaced because Simon felt they should be replaced - never mind the fact that the glasses have been manhandled by my children etc etc.  He also replaced a sportsmask lens because of a problem where the frame attached to it - no questions, no problems.

Bottom line people, nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you you have to buy a certain product.  Buy the product that you want, and be happy with that.

As per usual' date=' people feel it necessary to have a go at companies/products for the simple reason that they are good quality and are a bit more expensive than other products that are around.

Things are simple, if you don't feel that a product is worth the price, then don't buy it!  If the product is genuinely overpriced, then market forces will dictate!  Could it be that the product is a quality product that uses better materials and hence costs more?  Is this such a crime?

If a product uses beter materials, then there is no reason why the product shouldn't be marketed as such!

I personally prefer to buy the best quality that I can afford.  Too many times I have bought a cheaper product, only to end up buying the better product in the future because I was not happy with the cheaper one!  Effectively adding the cost of the cheaper one to the one I should have bought in the first place.

I have been using Rudy Project for a number of years, and have gotten to know Simon (aka rudyproject) quite well.  I have had a set of rydon lenses replaced because Simon felt they should be replaced - never mind the fact that the glasses have been manhandled by my children etc etc.  He also replaced a sportsmask lens because of a problem where the frame attached to it - no questions, no problems.

Bottom line people, nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you you have to buy a certain product.  Buy the product that you want, and be happy with that.
[/quote']

Well said sirClapClapClapClapClap

I bought a pair of Rydon II's with ActiveX Red photochromic lenses last year in September to replace a pair of Nike Vision that I lost.

I'm extremely happy with them even though one lense has a scratch on it.

I would just like a pair that does not scratch with the first hind of dust/mud. All of them you have to clean it extremely carefully with water and then wipe it just as carefully with the soft pouch provided. I'm riding in the veld and I don't carry the pouch with me. Mud gets flung into my face, i spit on the lens and try to remove mud so that I can clean it, but I only have my nylon cycling shirt and it is also covered in dust. One wipe and the lens is scratched. The lenses always goes before the frames do but they are always very happy to replace you frame at the expos.