Rudy Project Lens Shot with 9mm

rudyproject

I was at the SA National Pistol Shooting Champs this weekend and we got one of the competitors to shoot a Rudy Project ImpactX lens from 10 metres with a 9mm Pistol' date=' the result was staggering.... Instead of shattering like most lenses would, the bullet deflected off the lens (see pic). Now THAT is eye protection!!
20090629_045933_img_2076_std.jpg
[/quote']

I hate to wee-wee on your battery but that's one worthless stunt. The bullet didn't deflect of it, the lens deflected off the bullet, a big difference.

As others here have pointed out, polycarbonate will do that, whether you've shaped them into Rudy Projects or cheap wine glasses.

The trick behind the stunt is to ensure that the lens has no inertia. In other words, make it light (take it out of a frame and balance it on edge, or if the frame is light, place the frame so that it will easily fall over) and fire away at it. The trick can be performed with a CD as well. Preferably a hip-hop one.

However, put that same pair on your head and fire at it and you'll have contact lenses as someone here so aptly put it.

I'll perform that same trick with a pair of Oakleys/Ray Bans/Gucchis purchased from the "agents" at the William Nichol offramp on the N1. Im no expert on rifles, but something with a high muzzle velocity - a  .22 long perhaps? will go through it though. Size doesn't matter, speed does.

Besides, if it really was that tough they'll make bullet proof clothing from Rudy Projects. I suppose the cynics here would say those would not be economically viable.

Johan Bornman2009-06-29 10:39:14

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan, this lens is not polycarbonate, ImpactX lenses are made from a soft, flexible polymer. Polycarbonate on the other hand is a hard material that is prone to shattering and definitely scratching.

We have a little testing unit at the office where we take all of the brands mentioned in your post and shoot them with a pellet gun from about 20cm... Polycarbonate lenses shatter and ImpactX lenses do no leave a single mark... not even a scratch.

The proof is definitely in the pudding here.

rudyproject2009-06-29 11:01:17

Cool - does anybody have these in prescription. I've got R4K to spend on prescription glasses next month and looking for a descent pair that can take a few knocks. The money is coming out of my own pocket so I'm not limited to a brand or optometrist.

I've got a pair. All RP glases can fit an optical insert and it sits very well. It costs only R500 and can be ordered at any large optemetrist.

If you order now from CWC online you will pay R1600 for the specs and R500 for the inserts!

Folks, any company that is charging R1600 for a pair of Rudy Projects with ImpactX lenses is bringing them in as grey imports and no warranty will be covered by Rudy Project SA.

Guest Agteros

Marketing stunts like these are just as helpful as after market fitted ejector seats on old helicopters, so 

RP can you please do the same experiment (and post AFTER pictures), but this time put the lens in something (like a vice) and make sure that it will not deflect off the bullet (or get  pushed/bumped by the bullet.

If you feel that not good enough, take a mannequin, put sunglasses on its face, make it sit/stand against a wall and fire away at the glasses. AFTER pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Agteros2009-06-29 11:47:09

Cool - does anybody have these in prescription. I've got R4K to spend on prescription glasses next month and looking for a descent pair that can take a few knocks. The money is coming out of my own pocket so I'm not limited to a brand or optometrist.

I've got a pair. All RP glases can fit an optical insert and it sits very well. It costs only R500 and can be ordered at any large optemetrist.

If you order now from CWC online you will pay R1600 for the specs and R500 for the inserts!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go see my optometrist first - no offence to all the wonderful advice I'm getting here. I have a lot of faith in the guy and will only buy through him - his service is amazing. Will be happy if I can save a few randts as I still need shoes, pedals ... etc

Marketing stunts like these are just as helpful as after market fitted ejector seats on old helicopters' date=' so 

RP can you please do the same experiment (and post AFTER pictures), but this time put the lens in something (like a vice) and make sure that it will not deflect off the bullet (or get  pushed/bumped by the bullet.

If you feel that not good enough, take a mannequin, put sunglasses on its face, make it sit/stand against a wall and fire away at the glasses. AFTER pictures will be greatly appreciated.

[/quote']

Agteros, you're right... of course this is a marketing stunt. The

objective of this post was not to show the world that Rudy Project

lenses are bullet proof... That would be foolish... the objective here

is to show you and the rest of the hubbers that Rudy Project ImpactX

lenses DO NOT SHATTER.... EVER. Unlike other eyewear that uses

Polycarbonate Lenses. Simple.... no cloak and daggers no shotguns,

mannequins and fake results. Just the facts!! RUDY PROJECT IMPACTX

LENSES ARE HIGHLY SCRATCH RESISTANT AND DO NOT SHATTER.

In about 15 years of riding I have never shattered a pair of glasses. Most if not all will flex quite a bit.

I'm not paying a couple of grand to prove it, but as far I am concerned, ALL sunglasses can scratch.

for what it's worth (re resistance to damage) my rudy's have been run over by my mutts (25-30kg hooligans) more than once in my carport - so on scratchy bricks - not a scratch

Folks' date=' any company that is charging R1600 for a pair of Rudy Projects with ImpactX lenses is bringing them in as grey imports and no warranty will be covered by Rudy Project SA.

[/quote']

We've been importing and retailing all kind of professional equipment over the last 2 years, including rudy project, and we can guarantee you there is not one client out there that can say that they ever had problems with our backup service and guarantee.

Go to our website: www.cwcycles.co.za  and have a look what our legal guarantee is, as said out by our Goverment!

CWC Online2009-06-29 12:39:51

After all this RP hype .... which RP is recommended for MTB riding?

Rudy Project have many frame designs to choose from but as far as lenses go, you should be looking at ImpactX photochromic Clear or PhotoChromic Red. Popular Frame designs are Rydon (Bicycling Editors Choice for May) or Exowind.

Folks' date=' any company that is charging R1600 for a pair of Rudy Projects with ImpactX lenses is bringing them in as grey imports and no warranty will be covered by Rudy Project SA.

[/quote']

We've been importing and retailing all kind of professional equipment over the last 2 years, including rudy project, and we can guarantee you there is not one client out there that can say that they ever had problems with our backup service and guarantee.

Go to our website: www.cwcycles.co.za  and have a look what our legal guarantee is, as said out by our Goverment!

Hi Jnr... I was just on your site and cant find the legal guarantee you

talk about. As far as I was aware, our government doesn't support grey

imports but rather legal and fair trade through business entities that

trade above board. I don't understand how you can let the cycle

importers do all the marketing and brand building and you just stand on

the side and rape their efforts. You buying stuff direct does nothing

for local business other than yourself.

Hi Jnr... I was just on your site and cant find the legal guarantee you

talk about. As far as I was aware' date=' our government doesn't support grey

imports but rather legal and fair trade through business entities that

trade above board. I don't understand how you can let the cycle

importers do all the marketing and brand building and you just stand on

the side and rape their efforts. You buying stuff direct does nothing

for local business other than yourself.

[/quote']

Not sure( if i'm missing something), but i see this is one of your previous posts!

OOPS!

20090629_130747_Untitled-2.jpg

CWC Online2009-06-29 13:41:01

It's amazing how quickly things turn sour here on The Hub.  Dead

Nice one Chris LOL

Why are bullet proof glasses so important to some people?
splat2009-06-29 13:15:42