Tubeless road wheels

Larry

We were talking about this earlier today. My Ksyriums are a tubeless wheel but I don't want to be the guinea pig and pump that tyre up to 8 bar with Stans in.

Let me know how it goes. LOL

scratch that weight part the tubless hutcherson tyres are heayier than a normal tire and tube or equivalent, plus selant which i could put into the tube. So is the only advantage less friction between tyre and tube. the ill rather just get the vittoria open tubular tyre(which is very expesive at R900 a tyre but prob cheaper than the convertion kit and tyres)

no friction from an inner tube.

running sealant reduces punctures.

This tube/tyre friction thing is often spoken about in tech reports.

I dont understand why/how that is such an issue.

Why does that slow me down or why is that a problem?

(Not targetting you 101SCC)

I tried the Stan's thing with road tyres (Michelin Pros/Ksyriums) a couple of years ago. Works fine (you have to use a compressor or bomb to inflate though - won't manage with a floor pump).

The problem is that the main point of the system (reducing punctures) doesn't work that well - 8 bars of pressure means that sealant just blows out until the pressure is low enough to seal, when it eventually seals it is at a pressure that is not enough to ride safely on and when you reinflate it pops the sealant out again most of the time.

On mountain bikes it's unbeatable, but it works because the pressures are so much lower.

My Shamal Ultra's are also compatible with tubeless tires, have not tried it because I didn't think it was that well tested and proven.

I run Tubeless Hutchinsons on my Shamal Ultra 2 way's.

Find the Tires are fine. The Wheel / Tyre Combo has a great feeling and I find the wheel comparable to my 404 Tubbies.

Easier to install than a tubbie, more convienient if I puncture far from home (gator and a tube!)

With regards sealant, you need a special sealant that I bought off CRC, for HIGH PRESSURE tubeless, it is different to the MTB version, so far it has worked at 120psi for the one puncture I had. Read below from Campag on the tube issue:

There can be no doubt that tubeless is the future for on-road cycling tiretires. There are many advantages: using a tubeless tire you can exploit the greater smoothness due to the absence of friction between the tiretires and the tube. There are no risks of sudden deflation when a tubeless tire is punctured, a great advantage in safety terms. There is no risk of snake bites, as there is no tube to rupture. We guarantee the perfect compatibility of our tubeless rims even with normal clincher tiretires and tubes.

damn, you guys are good if you can actually feel the friction between the tyre and the tube. I think I was pay more attention next time I'm riding.

You can't feel friction between a tube and a tire.

I can only compare complete packages of WHEEL + TYRES

My Shamals + Tubeless feel as lively as my Zipp 404's and Conti Tubbies, don't make as cool a noise but ride as well.

I run Tubeless Hutchinsons on my Shamal Ultra 2 way's.

Find the Tires are fine. The Wheel / Tyre Combo has a great feeling and I find the wheel comparable to my 404 Tubbies.

Easier to install than a tubbie' date=' more convienient if I puncture far from home (gator and a tube!)

With regards sealant, you need a special sealant that I bought off CRC, for HIGH PRESSURE tubeless, it is different to the MTB version, so far it has worked at 120psi for the one puncture I had. Read below from Campag on the tube issue:

There can be no doubt that tubeless is the future for on-road cycling tiretires. There are many advantages: using a tubeless tire you can exploit the greater smoothness due to the absence of friction between the tiretires and the tube. There are no risks of sudden deflation when a tubeless tire is punctured, a great advantage in safety terms. There is no risk of snake bites, as there is no tube to rupture. We guarantee the perfect compatibility of our tubeless rims even with normal clincher tiretires and tubes.[/quote']

If tubeless was the future for road tyres why is it that only Hutchinson have been manufacturing tubeless road tyres for the last 3 years? And if it was that great a system why did the hutchinson sponsored pro teams never adopt the concept?

If you do your research the Hutchi guys have won races on Tubeless, remember Campag is only the third wheel manufacturer to make a tubeless rim, so teams not using shimano wheels with Hutchi tyres can't use tubeless.

If you've used it you'll see, until then keep riding your clinchers/tubbies...

Cannondale launched BB30 years ago, only now is it catching on.

Either you innovate or you follow, you decide.

There is still many view points on this topic,some guys love them,others tried it and failed miserably .  il stick with tubes ,for now