Advice needed on Mtb for first timer

Chris Joubert

Dunno mate - was soooo long ago' date=' all i remember are the bikes and the hotties in little lycra shorts & tight tops... mmmmmmmmmm.[/quote']

LOLnow i remember?there was footage of it on the hans rey story dvd.

What is the take on the "Makro" specials' date=' I see they have the Dunlop APex cycle for R1999  Duel suspension with disk brakes.

Experience taught me that "Goed koop is duur koop", am I right in staying away from these?

• Dynamic Y shape dual suspension frame
  • Shimano 21 speed gears
  • Quick release front wheels and seat post
  • Front disc brake
  • Alloy rims
  • Oversize tyres

[/quote']

Anything that lists 21-speed gears, alloy rims, oversize tyres and quick-release as a feature is something you stay FAR away from.

The Mesa will be okay, depending on the type of riding you're planning on doing. I like more technical stuff and I managed to wreck 2 Suntour forks in about 14 months - 4 of which I was off the bike due to injury. A better (read: more expensive) bike will give you a better riding experience.

Anything that lists 21-speed gears

but the new Sram XX groupset only has 20 speeds smiley3.gif

Anything that lists 21-speed gears

but the new Sram XX groupset only has 20 speeds smiley3.gif

And still there are people that will pay big money for it. Confused

H

Schwinn Mesa Disc - On special for about 3k.

Is this a decent bike?

i have the 2002 schwinn moab - if the current shcwinns are built anything like they were made way back when, this is an excellent buy - i abused mine far above what it was made for, including 2XsabieX, 1xsani2c, a transbaviaans and several other.  i still use it for commuting, riding when the other bike's too dirty, or adventure racing, it still has a lot of go in it. have upgrade the wheels and brakes ... hmm, now that i think about it, the only original thing on the bike is the frame ...