Lifetime Warranty

TooManyMatts

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with the reliability of Scott's "lifetime warranty" on carbon frames?

I have just broken my frame (05 model) and am waiting with trepidation for them to tell me whether they will replace it.

It was not as a result of any misuse. One of the lugs that houses a pivot for the rear suspension cracked right through on a routine training ride.

They should replace it but it has been about four days without any response from them so I am getting very worried.

Can anyone relieve my pending nervous breakdown?

don't stress, there is a procedure they have to follow, if it was gonna be repaired they would have responded, it jst means that they r waiting for final confirmation to replace it, relaxSmile

"lifetime warranty" - I have an issue with this type of warranty! Surely the product is warrantied and not the person who own it? Now what is the products lifetime? To me that is until it life is over i.e. cannot used for the task it was made so when you need the warranty it has just expired!

I think this was successfully argued in a European court some time back and thus the like of Cannodale went to a 5 year warranty as a "lifetime warranty" was deemed worthless.

Thanks for the replies.

I was worried about the issues Icycling raised. I wonder if the 4-5 years my bike has been in existence counts as a lifetime....

Well my GT was sorted in a few days, so I don't think you need to stress, I'm sure Probike will look after its customers just like omnico.

I am sure Probike will do the warranty - in this case.

But I still have an issue with the use of the term "lifetime warranty". I as a customer would prefer a 1, 3, 5,10 or 15 year warranty on any item - non cycling related also - I purchase depending what the manufacture offers

"lifetime warranty" - I have an issue with this type of warranty! Surely the product is warrantied and not the person who own it? Now what is the products lifetime? To me that is until it life is over i.e. cannot used for the task it was made so when you need the warranty it has just expired!

I think this was successfully argued in a European court some time back and thus the like of Cannodale went to a 5 year warranty as a "lifetime warranty" was deemed worthless.

how about calling it a "first owner warranty"?

A time frame surely is the best just because I sold the item a week later for argument sake, then its 1 or 15 year warranty still is in place for the new owner.

The way I see it is that a warranty is a statement of confidence in the product.

Life time warranty means that the manufacturer is confident that the product will last the life time of the owner. i.e. around 70 yearson average.

Thats a pretty bold statement.

Cannondale has recently changed its warranty on it s products and now has diffferent warranties for products intended for various applications.

E.g. their DH and FR bike are now 3 yrs

AM bikes carry a 5yr warranty

XC and Roadbikes carry Lifetime warranty to first owner.

Phone Probike and find out.

With Mampara on this, call Pieter at Probike on their PE number. To my knowledge he handles warranties amongst other things. In general feedback unless you call is very limited.

I have been dealing with them on a warranty issue and so far so good, I shipped the faulty part back last week Wednesday and the replacement has arrived back this morning. The part in question is not a cheap part, yet they have turned around under warranty very quickly.

I found out that the man at Probike who deals with warranty claims is "on leave" so they cannot have anyone look at my frame till next week Tuesday.

Then they reckon it will take 2 weeks from then for the part to come IF they decide that my warranty claim is valid.

This all adds up to a month without my steed and a month on another bike which is too small for me :(

I'm pretty bummed with the turnaround to be honest