Durbanville Area Roadies

dommisse

D Ville and surround riders -

Be great tomorrow. Be safe. :thumbup:

I am going out for a gentle spin now-now on da MTB to keep da muscles lekka.

Thanks G Man, same to you. Also taking my new/old Mtb out for a shake down spin in Majik. Enjoy your ride and see you tomorrow.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Durbanville Area Roadies. I am hoping that you may be able to help me out with a bit of advice. I am looking at training the 99er route at least once a week from now till the Argus, I am just a tad worried about riding it out there on my own, especially around the Fisantekraal area and also the Paardeberg Area. Has anyone experianced any problems out there?? Thanks in advance for yoru input.

Hi there Durbanville Area Roadies. I am hoping that you may be able to help me out with a bit of advice. I am looking at training the 99er route at least once a week from now till the Argus, I am just a tad worried about riding it out there on my own, especially around the Fisantekraal area and also the Paardeberg Area. Has anyone experianced any problems out there?? Thanks in advance for yoru input.

S R, the areas you mentioned are okay and frequently used by traffic and pedestrians, specifically Fisantekraal.

Paardeberg is rustig and I nevva heard of any incidents there.

The tricky area is Old Malmesbury Rd en route to the N7 where there is a lane of bloekombome.

It is an isolated area with little or no traffic as it is mainly used as a road to get to farms and the MotoX club.

I train there alone every now and then. And I feel vulnerable there for about 2 kms. And, I enjoy the stillness there. :)

When you go, call this forum and you prob will get some chommies to join you.

It is a century ride. Good L S D.

S R, the areas you mentioned are okay and frequently used by traffic and pedestrians, specifically Fisantekraal.

The tricky area is Old Malmesbury Rd en route to the N7 where there is a lane of bloekombome.

It is an isolated area with little or no traffic as it is mainly used as a road to get to farms and the MotoX club.

I train there alone every now and then. And I feel vulnerable there for about 2 kms. And, I enjoy the stillness there. :)

very sure you will get a lot of us joining you - not sure if we can keep up - but at least we will start with you

Or you could join us this Saturday for an Argus training ride from VA in Green Point @ 6:00 ? https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/90231-argus-route-training-ride/

Or you could join us this Saturday for an Argus training ride from VA in Green Point @ 6:00 ? https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/90231-argus-route-training-ride/

Hi there Sir K, I am supposed to be doing the Argus Training ride with yourselves and Wannabe, but I am really usure of whether I will keep up with you all. Knowing your times for Die Burger, you were all in the 3hr area and if I had not punctured, i would only have gotten round in about 3:40. So VERY nervous of joining you on the ride. Maybe in the beginning of Jan, when I have done LOTS of climbing!! :thumbup:

Hi there Sir K, I am supposed to be doing the Argus Training ride with yourselves and Wannabe, but I am really usure of whether I will keep up with you all. Knowing your times for Die Burger, you were all in the 3hr area and if I had not punctured, i would only have gotten round in about 3:40. So VERY nervous of joining you on the ride. Maybe in the beginning of Jan, when I have done LOTS of climbing!! :thumbup:

There are several riders on the Argus route who finished around 3h30ish.

It is Long Slow Distance.

The captain on the day, Wannabe, guarantees it. :thumbup:

I am not in racing mode. Will work harder on the inclines as I wanna tackle the Cape Cobra race for the 1st time on 16 Jan. Lots of climbing there.

There is a regrouping at the top of each ascent.

Come along? :whistling:

very sure you will get a lot of us joining you - not sure if we can keep up - but at least we will start with you

Thanks Player23, will get in touch with this forum closer to the time and organise a bunch if possible, safety in numbers :thumbup:

I will be coming over from Edgemead anyway, so have Tiekie to contend with by the time I get to Durbanville. Plus, my climbing is TERRIBLE, so no worries about me leaving anyone behind, it will more than likely be the other way around :D

The 99er is a race I respect much much.

After the Cobra in Jan, I will focus on that in mid-Feb.

Will prob be travelling to Los Angeles just before the race so have to get a lot of training in during late Dec/Jan. :huh:

Will definitely consider a reconnaisance ride with you.

Thank you SOO much for the advice, really great to hear that I would be OK out there on my own. I enjoy my group rides, but really enjoy my solitary rides as well, can go at my own pace, reflect, get rid of my own frustrations without thinking about slowing a group down / leaving people behind. Might see you out there one day, keep well and thanks again.

The 99er is a race I respect much much.

After the Cobra in Jan, I will focus on that in mid-Feb.

Will prob be travelling to Los Angeles just before the race so have to get a lot of training in during late Dec/Jan. :huh:

Will definitely consider a reconnaisance ride with you.

Also in for the Cobra this year and my climbing speed is shoddy, so going to be doing a lot of hill repeats up Vissers :(

Will see you out there and maybe get together for a ride or two, when I am "stronger" :thumbup:

In honour of the man who started up the greatest thread in the history of the HUBSA :w00t:

Domisse. R E S P E C T!!

Below is his twin brother racing in Europe in green kit.

http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2010/12/06/2/sunmen_123_600.jpg

Also in for the Cobra this year and my climbing speed is shoddy, so going to be doing a lot of hill repeats up Vissers :(

Will see you out there and maybe get together for a ride or two, when I am "stronger" :thumbup:

I my opinion - Vissers too steep and DANGEROUS (narrow and cars at crazy speeds)for a training drill - better is malanshoogte (both sides) and Odendaal road (near vissers)- nice good long steady climb and easy to loop and re-do

I my opinion - Vissers too steep and DANGEROUS (narrow and cars at crazy speeds)for a training drill - better is malanshoogte (both sides) and Odendaal road (near vissers)- nice good long steady climb and easy to loop and re-do

I'm with you here... and, often, trucks move there leaving little room for anything more.

I think Odendaal is where the 99er finished, eh? :huh:

Rather don't do that stretch if you are on your lonesome - there have been numerous bike jackings on that stretch of road - i had one lucky escape there - NOT ayoba.

It's a real pity coz that is such a nice stretch to train on, but with it being in close vicinity to DuNoon, it's just become dodgy (even on the N7 piece to contermans)...

Archived