Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Hi Lance, Eroica is a vintage bicycle ride that started in Italy and is being held in SA for the first time in Monatgu on 23rd of April. Check out the web site <http://eroicasouthafrica.com/>

Thanks Barry!

What a lovely affair... Sadly but truly I don't get my kicks from the Argus and the likes anymore, but this is something I will enter at some point - no doubt. I understand that the thing is all about the "classic" ambiance etc. but I am a bit gobsmacked regarding the fact that its on dirt. Save for a nice old cyclo cross bike (which coincidentally i have been searching for for a while now on ebay) I can't see myself using any of my old bikes for this. Defeating the purposes a bit perhaps? 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Barry!

What a lovely affair... Sadly but truly I don't get my kicks from the Argus and the likes anymore, but this is something I will enter at some point - no doubt. I understand that the thing is all about the "classic" ambiance etc. but I am a bit gobsmacked regarding the fact that its on dirt. Save for a nice old cyclo cross bike (which coincidentally i have been searching for for a while now on ebay) I can't see myself using any of my old bikes for this. Defeating the purposes a bit perhaps?

I have been really surprised how well the Alpina and Zini have handled the single track along the Spruit on their 23c and 25c tyres respectively. It was probably my first time riding off road with normal road bike since school days. After each ride I wiped the grass seed and mud off the bikes and they look good again. I run dry wax lube so no major grime on the drivetrain. Really happy with ride quality and looking to try out some farm roads this weekend

Thanks Barry!

Hi Lance,

The idea is, I think, to experience cycling as it was in the early 20th century when a lot of the riding was done on gravel roads as there weren't nearly as many tarred roads as now. It was also started to help protect the last gravel roads in Tuscany. The rules state no cyclo cross or mountain bikes so it's road bikes only. Your old bike would love it :)

Edited by Barry_W

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find some cool retro saddles? It's for a baby blue and white fixie.

Thanks,

Hi Lance,

The idea is, I think, to experience cycling as it was in the early 20th century when a lot of the riding was done on gravel roads as there weren't nearly as many tarred roads as now. It was also started to help protect the last gravel roads in Tuscany. The rules state no cyclo cross or mountain bikes so it's road bikes only. Your old bike would love it :)

Understood Barry :thumbup:   but here lies the dilemma...I have read a fascinating book – short stories about the early years of the Tour de France… exactly the time which you are referring to… when indeed a lot if not all of it were still done on gravel roads (in particular the big climbs). However those bikes were crude and rough. In fact although they’ll be priceless classics today anyone with a “hamoer” and an anvil fixed them at the time… They were nothing like the classics of the 70’s or 80’s which I think most of us here are enthusiasts of. So believe me; even though I really have nothing fancy, my bikes would hate it!  :blush:

That being said, I think any initiative of this nature should be supported and I’m all for the “cause”. If a cyclo cross bike is out, in my view the answer would then definitely be a “local classic” like a Zini or a Hansom etc...

Here is some crank arms I have.

Shimano 600 RHS 6400. Length 172.5mm. I found a no-name LHS arm which works but would be nice to find 6400 LHS. Also available for sale.

attachicon.gifIMG_3019.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3028.jpg

I have a Campagnolo Chorus drive side crank 170mm but no LHS if someone perhaps have one.post-51655-0-54697800-1459449034_thumb.jpg

Also,I am looking for a brake caliper.I know it is probably some chinese part,but it looks really neat and would be perfect the build I am busy with.The name printed on it is Royal Campe,if anyone might know where I could find an similar calipar it would be apreciated if you could point me in the right direction.a5344e9d6b5f4e250dede53994da17e6.jpg6576b533df2a3edcede1a97260afe192.jpg1f2479999be5a0c68097864d5c6d0086.jpg

Edited by BenReaper

Hey guys,saw this at my LBS and thought of the "toppies" on this thread.[emoji185] 545caa94db41cee84e740584d9a9beaf.jpg

Which shop, this toppie needs a pair for Eroica?

Does anyone know where I can get a set of non aero brake levers to stick on my bike for the Eroica? In JHB and if possible not at massive cost?

Understood Barry :thumbup:   but here lies the dilemma...I have read a fascinating book – short stories about the early years of the Tour de France… exactly the time which you are referring to… when indeed a lot if not all of it were still done on gravel roads (in particular the big climbs). However those bikes were crude and rough. In fact although they’ll be priceless classics today anyone with a “hamoer” and an anvil fixed them at the time… They were nothing like the classics of the 70’s or 80’s which I think most of us here are enthusiasts of. So believe me; even though I really have nothing fancy, my bikes would hate it!  :blush:

That being said, I think any initiative of this nature should be supported and I’m all for the “cause”. If a cyclo cross bike is out, in my view the answer would then definitely be a “local classic” like a Zini or a Hansom etc...

Agreed 100%

That's why my 'quality' bikes are staying at home. I've built up a (heavy as hell) Hansom which will be my rough road bike for Eroica. If it gets damaged, I won't cry, and I'm also showing my support for the (sadly now obsolete) local SA bike industry / frame builders.

Also,I am looking for a brake caliper.I know it is probably some chinese part,but it looks really neat and would be perfect the build I am busy with.The name printed on it is Royal Campe,if anyone might know where I could find an similar calipar it would be apreciated if you could point me in the right direction.a5344e9d6b5f4e250dede53994da17e6.jpg6576b533df2a3edcede1a97260afe192.jpg1f2479999be5a0c68097864d5c6d0086.jpg

Dia-Compe still make quality brake levers in aero and non-aero which could match those calipers nicely. You'll have to bring them in from overseas though.

Dia-Compe still make quality brake levers in aero and non-aero which could match those calipers nicely. You'll have to bring them in from overseas though.

There is this guy Wayen on the hub called "waynesworld" he has them 082 787 1110

I have an old (1988) LeJeune "Cycle Racing, Training and Logbook", if anyone is interested. It's or free if it goes to someone who is keen on Le Jeune and have one. The book is A5 size and unused. I just have to clear out my study and and and. I'm based in Cape Town and would prefer not to ship it if it can be helped.

post-17716-0-66813300-1459520443_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-91977500-1459520460_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-31047900-1459520481_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

There is this guy Wayen on the hub called "waynesworld" he has them 082 787 1110

Thanks for the reply guys,will give him a ring sometime to find out.[emoji106]

I have an old (1988) LeJeune "Cycle Racing, Training and Logbook", if anyone is interested. It's or free if it goes to someone who is keen on Le Jeune and have one. The book is A5 size and unused. I just have to clear out my study and and and. I'm based in Cape Town and would prefer not to ship it if it can be helped.

Very nice gesture DJR! I don't have a Le Jeune but know there a few fine examples in CT.