Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Latest Woodstock Cycleworks creation_pinarello treviso SS

Looks good. You can get high quality treviso decals from www.velocals.com. They not cheap but will finish the build off nicely.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as indicated earlier, I am still working on my 1976 DHC bike - bought new for R 175,00 at that stage.

Everything still in working order, but although the bike spent some time on my trainer, I have not ridden it much.

Got demoted to the store room and eventually I decided to rebuild this into a SS.

I'm working on a 1973 DHC Track bike. However, I'm stuck with the BB. It takes a French BB and I can't find one. Who can help? I imagine it will be a 109mm or so.

Oh, and by the way, that bike has decent horizontal dropouts, so you dont need a chain tensioner at all.

Velo ... No, my DHC does NOT have horizontal drop outs, but slanted. I have an older (?) Celini - just bought by the way - of basically the same vintage, with horizontal dropouts, so I don't know why certain brands preferred the one to the other. Maybe Johan can assist here?

What do you think of this? It's my reliable chromoly Cosmos road bike with 9 speed Shimano 105/Tiagra.

Don't know anything about the frame, please let us know if you do.

Cosmos was built in Vereeniging roundabout 1991. They had a shop at the local mall.And a cycle race to go along with the launch. I had a yellow one with an Exage 5000 groupset, and an eliptical chainring called biopace.

I think they also built Alpina.

Very ,very sorry that I got rid of it.

Edited by Blokman

I'm looking for an old Shimano 600 or Dura Ace groupset, if anyone knows of anything or has one lying around.

MUST be downtube shifters, 8spd and in the case of 600/Ultegra can be either the tri-colour or earlier silver group.

Wheels not essential.

Thanks!

I'm working on a 1973 DHC Track bike. However, I'm stuck with the BB. It takes a French BB and I can't find one. Who can help? I imagine it will be a 109mm or so.

I did some research a while ago, and there is a company that still makes a french bb. They are called Velo Orange, but you will have to obviously import it.

I did some research a while ago, and there is a company that still makes a french bb. They are called Velo Orange, but you will have to obviously import it.

Thanks for your help, I'm searching as we speak. I smell an expensive BB coming up.

Right, so the work on my DHC is still progressing.

As said previously, with the rear derailleur (will use that until I get a "proper"(?) tensioner for SS) not lining up, new brake cables to be fitted and the BMX chain which had to be lengthened, necessitated me to book the bike in at Cajees, as I cannot afford to spend much more time on this project.

Went back to Cajees Cycles, Boksburg, the following day and was met by the following smiling face - JOHN!

post-17970-0-67535400-1313142773.jpg

I can honestly recommend this guy - he knows his stuff!!

John managed to find and sort out a new derailleur to line up the chain, he fitted new brake cables and the bike is (almost!) ready to go. I only have to sort out pedals, and then I'll ride!

Will keep you updated

pity its not the Itailian thread. i have one bought recently in error campy veloce 111 square taper for a 70mm shell

complete with home made bb tool

Saw this bike recently. Trying to figure out what it is. It's wearing Bianchi stickers, but I'm not sure that's correct. The bike is made from steel aero-shaped tubing including aero seatpost. The headset is a Tange Aero as well.

Any ideas whether this is actually a Bianchi?

post-988-0-02791800-1313654605.jpg

post-988-0-19723400-1313654638.jpg

post-988-0-99384800-1313654652.jpg

post-988-0-41827800-1313654662.jpg

I read on some other forum that in the 80's Bianchi had bikes made in Japan using Tange tubing, so it is possibly a real Bianchi.

Which reminds me, I had these charts in my folders for a while, in case anyone finds them useful. (Presuming they come out OK, otherwise PM me your email address and I can send them.)

post-14151-0-48016300-1313657754.jpg

post-14151-0-21748500-1313657934.jpg

post-14151-0-97985500-1313657950.jpg

post-14151-0-47333200-1313657966.jpg

well, the build is coming along. I was a bit confused by the BB, as I thought it was an english BB. Turns out that it is a 35x1 French, so just ordered one from Velo orange.

post-1622-0-33310000-1314361564.jpg

post-1622-0-08378200-1314361605.jpg

post-1622-0-72821400-1314361630.jpg

post-1622-0-92860200-1314361650.jpg

post-1622-0-90790600-1314361677.jpg

Wow, thats going to turn out nice. Really odd that an Italian frame has a French BB though. One thing that would look nice are some retro tyres. I know veloflex still make tan wall tyres but I haven't found any in SA.

Wow, thats going to turn out nice. Really odd that an Italian frame has a French BB though. One thing that would look nice are some retro tyres. I know veloflex still make tan wall tyres but I haven't found any in SA.

Thanks, velo. Quite excited to have my CBT back on the road. Have the bike since 1985. I bought it in France, so that could explain the BB for the french market. I also have a set of GP40 rims laced to mavic hubs, which I could mount with tubbies. That couls look quite nice as well. Bar tape is going to be Brooks in Brown.