Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

A dremel with a softish brass brush works wonders on oxidised aluminium. I've cleaned up many, many older parts .... NOT ANODISED, though it works on anodise!d also a bit ... but my Alan's aren't anodised.

Great for seat posts, etc etc.

Then use the felt wheels to polish.

Works wonders on chrome parts too!!

Exactly what I'm starting with, thanks for the perfectly timed advice! :)

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in touch with the HERALD CYCLE TOUR (PE) organisors and they have agreed to incorporate a classic bike section in the tour.

The Herald is in early February. It's a weekend of mountain biking, at/in/along Addo National Park on the Saturday and then a road ride around western PE on the Sunday.

How many of you would travel to PE to do this ride?

If you would consider it, would you send me a PM, so that I can gauge what sort of support this event might attract?

How many of you would be prepared to help promote this, through local bike shops. clubs etc?

I'm going to try and find some sponsorship and prizes, say for the best restoration, the best period dress, or whatever. All this is still to be decided.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I got a dremel type tool from Torque Craft. The machine, extension thingy etc will all the attachements and brushes for 450. Dremel similar was more than 1K

I got a dremel type tool from Torque Craft. The machine, extension thingy etc will all the attachements and brushes for 450. Dremel similar was more than 1K

Cool. I bought the same TorqueCraft one, with all the goodies, and I bought a Black and Decker one from the US, posted here, with customs etc, for $60.

If you check on eBay.co.uk you'll find plenty of wire, brass etc brushes. I've bought a couple, say 10 brass for £2, free post to SA. Horse hair brushes, felt brushes etc. I've probably spent £20 and got all that I wanted.

Anybody know this brand?

If I remember correctly they were entry level bikes, not sure if you remember the "sprinter" bikes from the late '80's. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they were on par with those kind of bikes.

Then again, I may be very wrong. ☺

Cool. I bought the same TorqueCraft one, with all the goodies, and I bought a Black and Decker one from the US, posted here, with customs etc, for $60.

If you check on eBay.co.uk you'll find plenty of wire, brass etc brushes. I've bought a couple, say 10 brass for £2, free post to SA. Horse hair brushes, felt brushes etc. I've probably spent £20 and got all that I wanted.

Will have a look and see...those felt ones go quite quickly..

Yeh u guessed it...cranks done and fork about to start -_-

Just wondered if you guys were aware of the Tour of Arae (pronounced Ara) that's going on in the Karoo at the moment.35 entrants with only South African-made classic bikes allowed - they're going MTBing across gravel, sand and everything indigenous. A bit like the early TdF. There's a thread here on the Hub, as a FB page, and www.tourofarae.co.za.

The Tour of Arae, named in Latin for the southern-hemisphere constellation Ara, is a prestige race that will be ridden on vintage South African built steel bicycles in the proud tradition of the early Italian multi-day stage races.

Open to only 35 racers, the first edition - 23 to 28 August of 2014 - will take riders, predominantly over hard gravel roads, from the mountains of Franschoek to Robertson, past the Anysberg Nature Reserve north to Touwsriver, then south of the N1 to Laingsburg. From there north-east to the little town of Merweville, then a climb into the west to Sutherland, after which the last stage to the south will be a race to the finish in the heart of the Karoo at the Matjiesfontein Hotel.

The Tour of Arae will take place over 6 days and about 666 km.

Racing against the clock, stages will be difficult and challenging, predominately over varying quality dirt roads, with the longest day being about 160 km. Riders will encounter soft sand, corrugated roads, loose stones and sharp tyre-shredding rocks, and possibly even rain and snow.

On the sixth and final day, all competitors will race to a point outside Matjiesfontein, where the clock will be stopped. When all active racers are together, there will be a sprint for the finish line outside the historic and majestic Matjiesfontein Hotel. The sprint finish time will be added to their final overall time.

There is no prize, but the racer with the overall fastest time will receive the champion's woolen jersey in their size - bearing the race name, year and their name, and a custom Tour of Arae frame badge honoring their victory in 2014. They will also hold, for one year, the floating ring that will bear the initials of each year's winner (preferably displayed in their closest bike shop in it's custom display case).

The Tour of Arae is completely independent, and paid for by the entrants - there are no sponsors or patrons, and we aim to keep it that way.

This race is ridden entirely at your own risk. You cannot hold anybody but yourself responsible for what might transpire during the Tour of Arae. So don't come crying if you get a flat or lose a finger.

I am keen to do the Herald Tour in Feb. the cut off period for the bikes would be key and I say we allow bikes even into the mid 90's as I don't know how many chaps have pre 80's bikes. What do you guys think?

You guys dont wanna know. When I started polishing i saw some oxised areas i missed. Out came the copper wire brush ans a resand afterwards and polish. Looking gooooodd

If I remember correctly they were entry level bikes, not sure if you remember the "sprinter" bikes from the late '80's. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they were on par with those kind of bikes.

Then again, I may be very wrong. ☺

I think you may be right.

My dad says he had a Hercules racing bike in the 50s.

I have also seen dikwiel Hercules bikes a few times over the years.

post-17112-0-99780700-1408908863_thumb.jpgpicked this up this afternoon its been resprayed unfortunately it was celeste in colour its a steel framed bianchi can any one tell me more from the pick about it. It has campagnolo avanti stis and mirage derailer Edited by ShawnMano