Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

If its a particularly rare post and you are not too much of a weight weenie you could repair that.

Andy, that would be nice but will be in back of my mind always that its been repaired. Will search for another one, and then if I found one, this one will be available to whoever wants it free of charge

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, that would be nice but will be in back of my mind always that its been repaired. Will search for another one, and then if I found one, this one will be available to whoever wants it free of charge

For sure, but if you don't come right don't despair! If you see some of the stuff we have repaired when we restore the bikes, you wouldn't even know it! But most of the bikes we do are pre-1940, so everything is pretty much unobtainium!

For sure, but if you don't come right don't despair! If you see some of the stuff we have repaired when we restore the bikes, you wouldn't even know it! But most of the bikes we do are pre-1940, so everything is pretty much unobtainium!

Where in Pta East are you based. know for sure the frame is April 1986, but the Shimano 105 groupset and Campagnolo wheels might be aftermarket, so no idea about the seat post. Maybe we'll talk then next week....

Frame done at last. Not at 100% though but gonna keep it as is. Only seatpost, bars and wheels left. I'm hooked. Frame must be touched up here and there but this I will do once she's built up. post-15052-1409255757,7569.jpgpost-15052-1409255767,6225.jpgpost-15052-1409255779,6709.jpg

Looking good ...

Like I said, labour of love and lots of patience.

Glad to see you haven't plastidipped anything :)

Tough luck with the seat post... keep looking you will get another one.

Looking good ...

Like I said, labour of love and lots of patience.

Glad to see you haven't plastidipped anything :)

Tough luck with the seat post... keep looking you will get another one.

nope, even though its not perfect now, its still a huge improvement and my first real attempt...plastidip too modern you know.

Out Moreleta way. Near that dodgy unfinished Villa Mall. No worries. Two options - cut it neatly along the crack, machine the edges square and insert an aluminium insert into the tube and weld again (that will keep the tube square), or if the crack is less than half way round, you could get away with just welding. It's an art welding aluminium, and we have a guy we use in Spartan. But it can be done. We've even had alloy pistons welded up and machined down again to fit barrels.

nope, even though its not perfect now, its still a huge improvement and my first real attempt...plastidip too modern you know.

On old/classic bikes its all about keeping them as original as possible.

Thats where the value lies. If at any stage you want to sell the bike you are more likely to get a good price if its in original condition.

I am in the process of redoing my Colnago Master, it has to have a total repaint, but I'm keeping it the same as it was in the catalogue.

The way I see it, these bikes are history, they tell a story to tell. Keeping them original does them justice and gives them a new lease on life... But that's just me.

Thats where the value lies. If at any stage you want to sell the bike you are more likely to get a good price if its in original condition.

I am in the process of redoing my Colnago Master, it has to have a total repaint, but I'm keeping it the same as it was in the catalogue.

The way I see it, these bikes are history, they tell a story to tell. Keeping them original does them justice and gives them a new lease on life... But that's just me.

I agree with you on that....will take a break after this one is done, but think I've found my new hobby...

When we do restorations on old bikes, one of the things we always leave alone are the clock faces. They tell the story of the bike, and often show what it's been through during the years....

Damn.....seatpost cracked. Bit disappointed but oh well...post-15052-1409256818,9597.jpg

Rudi

What size seat post, I may have a similar one for sale?

I am looking for a Tomassini fork (1987 model frame - I think) or something similar (Treaded or non treaded). Anybody with one lying around please let me know

Rudi

Loose Cog, That I will have to go and measure after work today and let you know. Thanks a million!

Rudi

....and if he isn't interested, I'm looking for a 27.2mm to fit a 1992 Colnago Master Bititanio. (is there a "begging" emoticon somewhere?)

Edited by DJR

Loose Cog, That I will have to go and measure after work today and let you know. Thanks a million!

let us know the size....I may have one for you.

Ok all you friendly people..its a 25.4mm...now the wait! Thanks for offering to help...

The handlebars were bent beyond straightning without compromising the alu, but got a good one for 40 bucks..

Edited by RudoJ

RudoJ, Seat post looks like a Campag. Worth repairing.

If you decide not to, I have a new, round, no name brand 25.4, we can work out something.

But, my advice would be to have it welded, it's thick enough, then add a sleeve inside. STRONGER THAN NEW.

Edited by HeyYou