Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

I know it is like some sort of "Unwritten Law" that an Italian frame must have an Italian group set, But...... Did you see how many bikes ridden in the TDF this year, were fitted with Dura Ace Di2?

(i.e. Most of them)

I was just a little shocked when I saw this in the bike specs for all the teams

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought them. It's taken me a year and a half to complete the groupset. The calipers was the final piece of the puzzle... One of the best groupsets ever... Now to find the most suitable frame...any suggestions?

How about a Viner Special Coursa? Its not the special professional, so I wouldn't say that they absolutely need a Campy groupset. I stuck mine on a Vitus, 600ex is a great grouppo. I don't believe that campy is a must for Italian frames, all bikes should be ridden!! I don't think a frame minds what you put on it as long as it looks good and functions.

Saying this... I now feel bad for not setting my gears yet to take her out for a spin :(

Edited by Rozanne

I know it is like some sort of "Unwritten Law" that an Italian frame must have an Italian group set, But...... Did you see how many bikes ridden in the TDF this year, were fitted with Dura Ace Di2?

(i.e. Most of them)

I was just a little shocked when I saw this in the bike specs for all the teams

This is true, but have a look at previous years and even other races, like the Paris-Roubaix. Ballerini and Museeuw had C40's fitted with DA. So, fitting Shimano to an Italian bike isn't really considered sacrilege.

Buuuuut... Who wouldn't want an Italian bike with an Italian grouppo?  :drool:

Edit: I have a Moser fitted with 7400 DA  :ph34r:

Edited by Badsam

Feel like I am going to be stoned for my previous comment...

Nah. I'm not sure on the exact stats but just about every pro tour Colnago in the 90's and the early 2000s used a Shimano groupset. Same goes for the 90s Mosers as well. I do prefer Campag though, because it looks nice.

Ditto what badsam said.

Edited by javadude

IMHO you can't go wrong with a nice Hansom 531c, they from around mid 80s. Such a well built frame and very local.

Otherwise a later Hansom 653, they came with some beautiful paint jobs.

You could try an Italian frame, but then you'd need a Campy group and you'd have to sell the 600EX!!!!

Yes agree. A Hansom would be the perfect choice. I think equally cool would be a Le turbo or possibly a Zini. It's got to be a locally produced frame...

How about a Viner Special Coursa? Its not the special professional, so I wouldn't say that they absolutely need a Campy groupset. I stuck mine on a Vitus, 600ex is a great grouppo. I don't believe that campy is a must for Italian frames, all bikes should be ridden!! I don't think a frame minds what you put on it as long as it looks good and functions.

Saying this... I now feel bad for not setting my gears yet to take her out for a spin :(

I don't know It doesn't feel right. I've got a Special Coursa Pista made with Columbus tubing. The same tubing as the Special Professional. Mostly super record with nos Nisi toro rims she's exquisite... Cannot imagine Shimano... Who wants a Ferrari made in Taiwan with a Toyota engine? ....not me

I don't know It doesn't feel right. I've got a Special Coursa Pista made with Columbus tubing. The same tubing as the Special Professional. Mostly super record with nos Nisi toro rims she's exquisite... Cannot imagine Shimano... Who wants a Ferrari made in Taiwan with a Toyota engine? ....no

Well special coursa is actually a lower grade Viner compared to the special professional and special coursa Prista. Only the tree main tubes are made of higher grade Columbus steel, the rest was cheaper, heavier stuff. If you guys have ever picked up a Viner with the cross on it and not the star on the fork and down tube lugs, now you know what it is... Here is an example :)

Edited by Rozanne

Well special coursa is actually a lower grade Viner compared to the special professional and special coursa Prista. Only the tree main tubes are made of higher grade Columbus steel, the rest was cheaper, heavier stuff. If you guys have ever picked up a Viner with the cross on it and not the star on the fork and down tube lugs, now you know what it is... Here is an example :)

Cool interesting topic

Here's a good read:

https://vineristi.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/the-mystery-of-stars-and-crosses/

Edited by Rocket ship

Hey guys and girls, I have this Speciale Professionale pista frame for sale. I would love to keep it as it is a beautiful colour and is in great condition. Alas too big for me. It's a 58/57.

post-44986-0-11563600-1438148178_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-02030200-1438148297_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-03352200-1438148371_thumb.jpg

Very confusing I've got a star decal (Columbus tubing) - appears to be original and cross lugs on my viner?

post-73116-0-41970900-1438148615_thumb.jpg

post-73116-0-30128500-1438148640_thumb.jpg

post-73116-0-45368900-1438150479_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rocket ship

Hi guys

Can anyone give me some details about this bike, year, value? I picked it up yesterday for next to nothing. All I know is that it is a Somec Air TS with Campagnolo components. 

post-35806-0-33399900-1438151425_thumb.jpg

post-35806-0-42106000-1438151427_thumb.jpg

post-35806-0-94013100-1438151429_thumb.jpg

post-35806-0-14304900-1438151432_thumb.jpg

post-35806-0-23565900-1438151435_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Can anyone give me some details about this bike, year, value? I picked it up yesterday for next to nothing. All I know is that it is a Somec Air TS with Campagnolo components. 

Looks very  similar to mine, 1988ish, but slightly more modern - seat stays are brazed directly onto seat lug etc.

My guess is early 90s, 92/93.

The group set is Campagnolo Record, very nice!

Could be Chorus, needs a closer look, but the crank is Record.

Good acquisition, there'll be lots of buyers if you want to sell it!!!!

Look about a page earlier to see mine.

Edited by HeyYou

Hi guys

That frame is early 90's. It features in the 1992 catalog and slightly later. The Campag group is 8 speed Record from around the same period. Somec has some vintage catalogs on their website, www.somec.com.