Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

That frame is early 90's. It features in the 1992 catalog and slightly later. The Campag group is 8 speed Record from around the same period. Somec has some vintage catalogs on their website, www.somec.com.

Looks very  similar to mine, 1988ish, but slightly more modern - seat stays are brazed directly onto seat lug etc.

My guess is early 90s, 92/93.

The group set is Campagnolo Record, very nice!

Could be Chorus, needs a closer look, but the crank is Record.

Good acquisition, there'll be lots of buyers if you want to sell it!!!!

Look about a page earlier to see mine.

Thanks guys. It's a beautiful bike and it only cost me R500. Just cleaned it up a bit and will book it in for a service ASAP

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Warren, I would say you have comfortably made yourself between R6,000 to R8,000 after a clean up!

Hi Warren, I would say you have comfortably made yourself between R6,000 to R8,000 after a clean up!

That's fantastic. Now I can use the money I saved to spend on the bike. Would it be  sacrilege to respray the frame? 

Thanks guys. It's a beautiful bike and it only cost me R500. Just cleaned it up a bit and will book it in for a service ASAP

You're on a lucky streak, go buy Lotto tickets ASAP. Worry about the service later! Some people will kill for the groupset alone!

You're on a lucky streak, go buy Lotto tickets ASAP. Worry about the service later! Some people will kill for the groupset alone!

Haha. I did quite a bit of research before I bought the bike and thought I had scored with the groupset alone

That's fantastic. Now I can use the money I saved to spend on the bike. Would it be  sacrilege to respray the frame? 

Warren, your profile does not say where you live but if you are in Jhbg area I would gladly have a look at the bike and give you an opinion.

From the photos the frame doesn't look to be in a bad way and after a strip down and thorough clean you would be able to decide. Somec's always had fancy paint jobs and it is very hard to replicate the original work. PLUS, you loose value if the frame is repainted so my advise only respray if the paint work is in very bad condition (or it has been resprayed before).

Heyyou has a lovely example and so does Glenzito and Fixer (or at least they did).

I'll offer you R1000.

Then you've doubled your money.

Don't have to clean it.

Don't have to have it serviced.

You win, you win!!!!

I'll offer you R1000.

Don't have to clean it.

You win, you win!!!!

On that note Heyyou, I will give you R2,000 for your Somec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you both have enough bikes... I'll give you 2000 and 1 rand.

Have spent about 16 hours over the last 48 on this!

post-25781-0-87195300-1438007791.jpg

Almost done! 

The forks will have to be rechormed. 

The rear triangle is not great at all, but I've cleaned and polished as much as I can, so it's going to have to do. 

The chrome is not great, but the paintwork is good. So rather keep the paint and not rechrome the whole frame and then have to repaint.

I'll post pics in about 1/2 an hour.

PS: LC, both my SOMECs are too big for you.

Edited by HeyYou

I'll offer you R1000.

Don't have to clean it.

You win, you win!!!!

you both have enough bikes... I'll give you 2000 and 1 rand.

Haha, think I'll hold onto it for now. Will post more pics as I fix it up

I discovered this stuff.

It's a rubber fabric repairer, but useful for small tears on brakes hoods, saddles etc.

Very, very useful.

post-25781-0-31648500-1438163566_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Can anyone give me some details about this bike, year, value? I picked it up yesterday for next to nothing. All I know is that it is a Somec Air TS with Campagnolo components. 

You are a very, very lucky man, indeed! Somecs are some of the most beautiful of the Italian classics!

I will drop my offer to R1,500!

P.S. I am growing and one day soon I will be able to ride a bigger frame size.

Very confusing I've got a star decal (Columbus tubing) - appears to be original and cross lugs on my viner?

You can also google the tubing different tubing... So many variations. I don't think there is ever a wrong or wright answer. These old foggies liked to experiment on their builds.

I have a Peugeot Rapport with experimental tubing...