Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Hi Rozanne

I look forward to seeing pics of the Carlton idc.

Old wheels had steel spokes as opposed to newer stainless steel spokes. They are probably 36 wheels and therefore a lot of spokes to clean!

Have a closer look at the nipples and spoke threads. Do they look rusty? I have snapped old spokes on wheels I cleaned and it was either close to the nipples or in the middle. I am not a strong rider.

If the nipples look ok and you decide to clean the wheels you will need to use sandpaper to remove the rust and smooth out the pitting. It is a very hard and tiring job and if you don't continue to clean the spokes the rust comes back pretty quickly.

I have a 70-80's set of wheels for a lovely Eddy Merckx track bike I am restoring and have decided to rebuild the wheels. The rims are Fiamme red label on Record hubs. The reasons for deciding to rebuild the wheels because:

• I save myself many hours of hard labour cleaning the rims, steel spokes and hubs (difficult getting my fingers through the spokes to clean the hubs evenly);
  • by stripping the wheels i can clean the hubs properly and get them looking good;
  • new stainless steel spokes look good and will last another 30-40 years;
  • I can check rim for cracks and clean them properly
  • will not have an issue with snapping spokes

The downside is it costs ˜R1,000 for the rebuild adding to the cost of restoration.

As to the frame. Without having seen the frame my advise is don't repaint unless the frame was previously repainted. The scrapes, dings and chips are all character for a track bike imho. 

I have a 59 Vitesse pursuit track frame which paint work is poor with lots of rust showing through. It also has has a ding on the top tube from the handlebar slamming into the top tube after a fall. I am fortunate to be the custodian of the frame and promised not to destroy the frame as it still has UCI stickers commemorating the 1962 Pursuit World Champion! One of the previous owner's immediately recognised the frame after enquiring if the top tube was dented. The frame made its way from Belgium to SA via many past owners past and present and I am honoured to have the frame. It is one of my prized possessions. 

The Eddy Merckx I sent to CT to have the rear seat stays straightened and the frame builder removed a dent in the seat tube without needing to respray the frame. I needed to have the seat stays sorted as they were damaged. It is however a costly exercise.

Please post pictures of your frame and groupset/wheels so we can provide further recommendations. 

Here is a picture of the EM with my Cinelli's wheels.

post-44986-0-86229700-1450858343_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello....

I would like a few opinions on the following problem at hand. I have stripped and built some bikes but this bike is a little more special. I have acquired a 1940's Carlton track from its original owner and started cleaning the old guy up but there are some areas of the restoration I am undecided on.

The first area being the wheels... They are very rusty on the spokes, the original tyres still look good (keeping those) and the cute simplex hubs also look a little rusty. Should I rebuild the wheels?

The next big question is the frame. It has been hammered quite a bit. lots of missing paint and a small dent... I think a clear coat or redo paint work? The only thing is that it has some really nice hand painted decals and I don't want to lose its originality...

I have however cleaned and polished all the parts and they are looking amazing.

If anyone can help me with some ideas on how to best restore this old machine without losing too much of its value, feel free.

Rozanne

Hi Rozanne

I agree with loose cog, also when it comes to wheels old rusty spokes could be not that safe to ride. It's a great chance to learn how to rebuild wheels and save on the R1000 ! Measure the existing spokes so as to order new ones. Check out this video how to do it :

Track wheels easier than road as no dishing is required. Get rid of all rust as it will just come back to haunt you! You can also match the paint at a good automotive paint supplier and work on retouching the paint, I've had good results with that. In my opinion don't sandblast and respray if all the decals are there. Get an automotive touchup gun and rent a compressor if you don't have one, remember to use proper breathing masks as the spray is very dangerous to your lungs. Bent seat stays can be straightened easily using timber planks and woodwork clamps.

Good luck!

Christmas Bianchi project complete . 94/95 Bianchi Columbus tubing . I didn't have any 8 speed kit , so it got 9 speed instead . Will swap out the wheels for early 9 speed when I get a cassette lock ring . Time for a test ride .

beautiful bike, where did u get the bar tape from.

Hello....

I would like a few opinions on the following problem at hand. I have stripped and built some bikes but this bike is a little more special. I have acquired a 1940's Carlton track from its original owner and started cleaning the old guy up but there are some areas of the restoration I am undecided on.

The first area being the wheels... They are very rusty on the spokes, the original tyres still look good (keeping those) and the cute simplex hubs also look a little rusty. Should I rebuild the wheels?

The next big question is the frame. It has been hammered quite a bit. lots of missing paint and a small dent... I think a clear coat or redo paint work? The only thing is that it has some really nice hand painted decals and I don't want to lose its originality...

I have however cleaned and polished all the parts and they are looking amazing.

If anyone can help me with some ideas on how to best restore this old machine without losing too much of its value, feel free.

Rozanne

Hi Rozanne

Great find!

I would get the wheels re-spoked .Cleaning old spokes tend to remove the electro plating / galvanizing. I've got loads of nos old steel spokes- I'll give you some...

As for the paint - I would definitely keep it original and preserve it with a coat of clear

Enjoy!

Edited by Rocket ship

Hi Rozanne

I agree with loose cog, also when it comes to wheels old rusty spokes could be not that safe to ride. It's a great chance to learn how to rebuild wheels and save on the R1000 ! Measure the existing spokes so as to order new ones. Check out this video how to do it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYl4NO5m16Q Track wheels easier than road as no dishing is required. Get rid of all rust as it will just come back to haunt you! You can also match the paint at a good automotive paint supplier and work on retouching the paint, I've had good results with that. In my opinion don't sandblast and respray if all the decals are there. Get an automotive touchup gun and rent a compressor if you don't have one, remember to use proper breathing masks as the spray is very dangerous to your lungs. Bent seat stays can be straightened easily using timber planks and woodwork clamps.

Good luck!

Agreed, touching up with a few layers of matched and thinned paint with a fine/soft bristle art paint brush works really well. A medium sized airbrush also gives superb results, they can be had for around R500.

Did some touch ups recently and was very impressed with the results with a brush and airbrush, little chips and scratches with the brush and larger areas/clear coat with the airbrush.

beautiful bike, where did u get the bar tape from.

Bar tape came from Cyclelab in Fourways . Not sure who makes it but I think it may be ITM .

Bar tape came from Cyclelab in Fourways . Not sure who makes it but I think it may be ITM .

Or Deda. They make some cool tape for Bianchi.

So, the Hansom has been restored to her former glory (almost). Complete respray, wheels rebuilt, all bearings replaced. Some nuts and bolts needed to be replaced with shiny, new ones, but other than that I'm quite pleased with the result

So, the Hansom has been restored to her former glory (almost). Complete respray, wheels rebuilt, all bearings replaced. Some nuts and bolts needed to be replaced with shiny, new ones, but other than that I'm quite pleased with the result

It's not true without pictures!!!!!!!

Guest notmyname

Tease of the day.

Guest notmyname

If I could manage to upload some photos I'd feel a whole lot less stupid ????????

Hehehehe.